DIY: Spark Plug Change VIDEO

Old 09-18-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
DIY: Spark Plug Change VIDEO

Saw the other "Noob friendly" DIY for spark plug change with photos and everything
Did my first spark plug change, and recorded it
Hopefully this helps those are mentally retarded

Didn't see one on youtube for 2000+ civics....so enjoy!

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbcieTii5xM[/Youtube]

Last edited by Kennykid2002; 10-09-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Spark Plug Change VIDEO

Good video for new guys, but I have a couple things about it..

1) I'd rather do this on a cool engine rather than hot engine. As different metals expand at different rates, the threads will engage each other differently and make it more difficult to remove and/or you won't get proper torque specs when tightening. You also may run the risk of snapping off the end of the spark plug in the head (worst case scenario, but I've heard of it before).

2) You remove the wire cover, not valve cover. The valve cover requires a bit more to remove.. Semantics, I know, but wire cover and valve cover are different nonetheless.

3) You should make sure the audience knows to only apply a thin layer to the threads, and to make sure not to get it on the electrode.

otherwise
Old 09-19-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Good video for new guys, but I have a couple things about it..

1) I'd rather do this on a cool engine rather than hot engine. As different metals expand at different rates, the threads will engage each other differently and make it more difficult to remove and/or you won't get proper torque specs when tightening. You also may run the risk of snapping off the end of the spark plug in the head (worst case scenario, but I've heard of it before).

2) You remove the wire cover, not valve cover. The valve cover requires a bit more to remove.. Semantics, I know, but wire cover and valve cover are different nonetheless.

3) You should make sure the audience knows to only apply a thin layer to the threads, and to make sure not to get it on the electrode.

otherwise
Wasn't exactly "Hot", You might not notice it, but theres a skip between the first test sound and the actual removal of spark plugs (was actually a cool down time before I started it)

Sorry, I was trippy, changed it to "wire" was thinking something else :P
Thanks

Not many people use antisieze in the first place :S
some even use engine oil as lube
Old 09-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

True, true. I'm just pointing out small things. Nothing major.

I didn't quite watch the entire thing from start to finish. I just let it load, skipped forward small bits at a time, making sure I caught the notations you put. I did sit and watch some sections 10-15 seconds at a time though. I did get the impression that you were saying you should let your car warm up just a bit before swapping plugs, thats why I mentioned the first thing.

But, like I said (rather, implied), good job. Great video for people that wanna delve into doing their own automotive maintenance.
Old 09-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

True, true. I'm just pointing out small things. Nothing major.

I didn't quite watch the entire thing from start to finish. I just let it load, skipped forward small bits at a time, making sure I caught the notations you put. I did sit and watch some sections 10-15 seconds at a time though. I did get the impression that you were saying you should let your car warm up just a bit before swapping plugs, thats why I mentioned the first thing.

But, like I said (rather, implied), good job. Great video for people that wanna delve into doing their own automotive maintenance.
Old 10-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Update:
Changed link to embedded video
Hope that helps
Old 10-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

not bad but it needs music and bigger subtitle instructions.
Old 10-09-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Nice DIY, now maybe they can look and find it before they ask. The only thing is you should at least talk and say what is next on the list instead of the reading and maybe showing how to check the gap on plugs since most people dont do it.
Old 10-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Nice DIY, now maybe they can look and find it before they ask. The only thing is you should at least talk and say what is next on the list instead of the reading and maybe showing how to check the gap on plugs since most people dont do it.
No offense to anyone, but on camera, i sound like a queer white guy (or so i'm told)
Old 10-09-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
No offense to anyone, but on camera, i sound like a queer white guy (or so i'm told)
It cant be that bad, how old are you.
Old 10-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

I'm 20...lol
Old 10-09-2010
Low and slow!

It could be cause how young you are.
Old 10-09-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

people tell you you sound like a queer and you listen to them *** that grow a pair.
Old 10-09-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
people tell you you sound like a queer and you listen to them *** that grow a pair.
Old 10-09-2010
Administrator
Administrator

i sound like a queer white guy
I think I found my new sig
Old 10-10-2010
Kenny the Ricer

I sorta said that, and all my friends confirmed it :X

I think I found my new sig
Old 10-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I sorta said that, and all my friends confirmed it :X

hahaha.. I'm just playin'.. Definitely laughed my *** off at that. Here's the question tho, you're apparently not gay, but are you a white kid? lol
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

im just busting your ballz but seriously if your not going to narrate the video it needs to be edited down and have larger instructions i could barely see them.
Old 10-10-2010
Kenny the Ricer

hahaha.. I'm just playin'.. Definitely laughed my *** off at that. Here's the question tho, you're apparently not gay, but are you a white kid? lol
No...I'm asian LOL

im just busting your ballz but seriously if your not going to narrate the video it needs to be edited down and have larger instructions i could barely see them.
I think youtube annotations are one size :3
Old 10-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

No...I'm asian LOL
So do your friends call you a twinkie? hahaha.. I had some friends call me a twinkie, even though I'm a dark skinned filipino..
Old 10-10-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Hmmm, maybe if it was a chocolate filled twinkie...
I mostly hang out with black/filipino folks

I dont even hang out with my own kind :P
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

It's good practice to do one spark plug at a time, or at least keep the coil pakcks in while you are working on each plug. This is to keep dirt and debris out of the valves.
Old 06-23-2013
Learning in progress

Funkcrusader is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if anyone else does this, i use the coil to get the spark plug out after i have loosened it all the way. After not getting the plug out with socket a few times, i tried it and it seems to work great. Anyone think of a reason not to do it to make them easier to pull out?
Old 08-14-2013
Registered!!

trekgod3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the great video. I'm about to change the plugs in my wife's '02 Civic. The plugs I bought are Autolite copper p/n 5224. The plugs include a lock or crush washer. Is it necessary to use them? In the videos I've seen no one has used a washer when changing plugs. It seems like it would be a little tricky to keep a washer in place due to how far down it is to the engine block.