7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

CLASSIC DIY: 04 taillight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
CLASSIC DIY: 04 taillight conversion

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ZEN_MASTER

Hi guys!

This is going to be my first DIY for 7thgencivic.com.
(for complete DIY of the 04 tailight itself, go down...........)

In concern of the other 2004 Civic taillight conversion DIY, I went to Radioshack and was trying to find the required stuffs....like the cables, butt connectors, Y shaped connectors, etc..

However, I got a trouble finding the correct butt connectors that I want to use to connect the wire to the socket. After 30 minutes trying to find the right connector, I was circling around Radioshack to find something else that is simpler and easier to use.

I got this:
1. Adaptaplug 6" Power Leads -- $2.99 from Radioshack.
2. Socket number 33304-S30-003 from Majestic or Honda dealer. $4.55
3. 7443 Bulb from any local auto store (DOUBLE FILAMENT) $5.83

*Taillight DIY: Step1 (Image)*

the wire/adapter that I bought is a "Adaptaplug 6" Power Leads," with the pricetag of $2.99 from Radioshack.

As you can guess, it's absolutely simple to use this wire to accomplish our DIY.

*Taillight DIY: Step2 (Image)*

Installation procedure:
The only thing that you have to remember is the way you install the connector into the socket.

Look at the picture above, as you can see, I plugged the connector not just by simply plugging it into the socket. All you need to do is to plug the two connectors on the wire into the LOWER part of the metal pins inside the T20 socket.

Why do we connect it this way? This way, the Radioshack adapter won't wiggle around. If you plug the adapter straight above the metal pins (so easy), the connector can move around and the bulb won't light up. Instead of doing that, we plug the adapter below the metal pins, so that the adapter won't wiggle anymore.

*Tailight DIY: Step3 (Image)*

Then, you should know the rest of the DIY....It's a simple connection to our wiring harness into the hardened wire of the Radioshack adapter.

Voila! We're finished! Just like that!

*Taillight DIY: Step 4 (Image)*
From the picture below, you should realize how easy it is to do this DIY.

SO.....

here's how to swap your 01-03 "sad" looking tallight into the "happy" looking 04 taillight...

first, take out the fabric cover by unscrewing that plastic tab...

this is how my old 01-03 tailllight looks like...

then...we've to unplug all the sockets from the housing....simply by turning the socket anti-clockwise...

the second socket from the left is the old turning light socket that we got a trouble with....how to change it? you can read the DIY above....

simply unscrew the 5mm lug nut by using socket wrench number 8......metric size...
there are total 4 of em on each side....

this is how my car looks like without the taillight....neat, eh? hahaha..

after this step, you just have simply do the DIY above....or another DIY to prepare the T20 socket that fits the 04 taillight...

after everything's ready....just put back the 04 taillight into your civic...and everything should be allright.....make sure to look after the plastic tab on the side of the taillight...don't break em..

on the picture below, this is how my wiring looks like right now...by using the Radioshack Adaptaplug...

i used the green wire clipper to hold the old side market that we won't use no more...

and this is the final picture..

you should see the happines of my car.....and the "sad" look of the old taillight!

notice the happy look of my wal-mart muffler tip?

more pics and more pics for your information...........

Last edited by gearbox; 01-10-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DopeillestVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CLASSIC DIY: 04 taillight conversion

So what happens if I have the socket that I need for the conversion cause I'm buying some taillights and I can probably buy the sockets to
Old 03-01-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need the socket regardless.. It's the male pigtail that's hardwired into the car is the problem. If you buy them from the dealership, it'll only come in packs of.. 10? Something like that.. In that case, you'll have to depin the old terminal and install them into a new plug.. I may or may not have some lying around from when I did my conversion and hooked other people up
Old 03-01-2013
Registered!!

DopeillestVtec is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooh cool I talked to the guy and he doesn't have the sockets or anything so I have to go to honda and buy the sockets and RadioShack for that adapter and the double filament bulb thanks
Old 12-14-2013
Registered!!

monicajohn is an unknown quantity at this point

I found a few threads on how to convert to 2004 tail lights, but liked yours because it is simple, cheap, and does not involve cutting wires. I am female and don't know much about cars, but know how to follow directions, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I wish you had more pics of how you plugged in the adapter plug! Can you explain how you put the two wires on the adapter into the black plastic connecter?

Also, you said it's important to put the plug into the lower pins in the socket so that it doesn't wiggle. It's hard to understand w/o seeing the pins and opening of plug. Do you have to force it in and if not careful could u break pins?

Are your tail lights still working?

If this works, you will have helped me a lot because I already have the 04 tail light on and don't want to return it!
Old 04-02-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Man, it sure sucks that RadioShack went bankrupt! I was just looking for the adapter plug for this!

Last edited by Poopies; 04-02-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Or... you can use the oem terminal. Depin your stock one and stick em in the new one. Pm me an address and I'll see if i can find the leftover ones I have and send em your way

When I get home, I'll link you the diy I made to switch the pins over