Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

THE AUTOCROSS/ROAD COURSE THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
THE AUTOCROSS/ROAD COURSE THREAD

I've got enough store points to sticky this thing, so I did. We need one of these things so it can all stay together....
Put anything autocross related in here, pics, setup, rules questions, schedules, etc....

I paid for the sticky, I get to make one rule: Its gotta be sanctioned and legal. No stories of doing donuts in a parking lot or canyon carving.

Have fun boys and girls...
Old 05-23-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I suppose I should put something in here to talk about....
so here we go.l
Tire Pressures
Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool, but it isn't sticking. You should ask for a refund hehe.

Here SoloII Rules
Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

nytejade is an unknown quantity at this point
I autocrossed last summer. It was awesome. Really paid off to test out my yokohamas, neuspeed springs, and my KONIS. Since then i've instaleld a 22mm rear sway bar and I can't wait to test it out again. Unfortunately, my car has been in an accident (stupid guy on a motorcycle hit it) and I won't be doing anything until I get it fixed... Which will be god-knows-when because the stupid insurance agency is running me around.
Old 05-23-2003
Supreme Member!

wcsjunior is an unknown quantity at this point
still havnt auto-X!!!! i been wanting to go for a while now... but my car has been in the shop for over a month.. cant wait to get it back, hopefully ill auto-x as soon as i get it.
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

JamesL is an unknown quantity at this point
yall should try doing some HPDEs...

they're an absolute blast.
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

JumpingBean is an unknown quantity at this point
I have some pics of me out on a course in member rides. I love it. We have another event tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2003
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I have my first autocross on June 8th!! I can't wait!!! I hope to have pics!

PS I was going to sticky this for ya boilermaker, but I am new at this mod thing and I didn't know if the other mods would kick my ***!
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
your setup

for those that did road racing and autoX racing, what suspension setup do u have
and how is it holding up

i'm planning to get a set of falken azenis sport 205/50/15
AEM brake pad

sway bars(???brand)
spring(??? maybe ebiach, neuspeed, or H&R)

shock(??? don't know since there is no replacement yet)

what springs do u have and do u have new shocks with or stock shock

i heard that the stock shock can't hold up the racing requirement

are the shock(strut insert) good enough for road track racing

i'm planning to do a couple of racings at willow springs and botton willonw in Southern Cali
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

JumpingBean is an unknown quantity at this point
DC upper front strut bar
rear upper strut
DC lower tie bar
Neuspeed bushing for front swar bar
Skunk2 coilovers
Koni shocks
I put azenis 205/50s on my stock rims to race on
I have cross drilled rotors and aem pads

My car handles great. Now its time to start doing some engine mods
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

Re: your setup

Originally posted by usafstud

are the shock(strut insert) good enough for road track racing

i'm planning to do a couple of racings at willow springs and botton willonw in Southern Cali
The konis work great..

My setup for track events:

Ground controls with konis (450 fr/ 650 r springs)
RSX-R 22mm rear swaybar.

Front konis set 1/2 firm, rears set close to 3/4 firm.

2 degrees camber front and rear (actually its probably closer to 1.5 in the rear). 0 toe front and rear.

225/45/16 Potenza S03s or 215/45/16 Azenis...

I have the Wilwood front brake kit with with Carbotech Panther+ pads.

Another very wise investment... get a good harness.
Old 05-26-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Right now I'm on stock springs and shocks
Neuspeed Upper front Strut bar
Cusco Upper Rear strut bar
Spoon Lower rear tie

I will soon have the RSX rear sway and Tein SS

Running on 17" OZ Superleggeras and Yokohama AVS ES100 tires,
Next year I'll be on 00 Si 15s with Michelin Pilot Sports (hopefully)

and I have an OMP harness on the way, I'm sick of banging around in the car.
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
are u guys running a bucket seat with the harnness or just the harnness with the stock seats
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

harness with the stock seats...
although i would much prefer a real racing seat...
Old 05-26-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
The best Class to start autocrossing in is STOCK,You'll learn more quicker then if you start with a Prepaired car.
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Zzyzx
The best Class to start autocrossing in is STOCK,You'll learn more quicker then if you start with a Prepaired car.
True... I guess... It is all about learning how to drive. But I think most people would rather start out in STS where you can run on street tires competitively... it also seems like the car would be easier to drive (I personally haven't raced on the stock suspension) with the suspension tweaked as per STS rules.

...And generally(at least in my region), STS gets larger fields than most of the stock classes. More competitors=more fun.
Old 05-27-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
The issue I have is that STS is a Highly competitve class, at least in my region. at the national level it is Insanely competitive. In Stock, where driver skill rather then Car setup counts more, you at least have a more level playing feld. with STS, if you dont have the car maxed out to the Rules then it's fairly hard to compete well. Unless you are a Very good driver. I Run in STS, and I wish I could have started in Stock (my car came with 17's and H&R springs from the Dealership). Last weekend I ran against 2 national champs in a Fully preped car and I was 8 seconds slower. Luckily the car they are running will not be leagal for STS next year. They'll have to jump to STX.
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

...that's a good point.

Originally posted by Zzyzx
Last weekend I ran against 2 national champs in a Fully preped car and I was 8 seconds slower. Luckily the car they are running will not be leagal for STS next year. They'll have to jump to STX.
..Are you talking about the D16A6 (from the 88-91 Si) in the 4th gen DX chassis?
Old 05-28-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by JamesL
...that's a good point.

..Are you talking about the D16A6 (from the 88-91 Si) in the 4th gen DX chassis?

That would be the one. you may have heard of them, Katie Elder and Kevin McCormick. both out of San Fransisco. Great drivers, good car. Our best STS driver Ron Conrad was about 1 sec off Katie by the end of the weekend. As far as the car being not legal next year, that hasnt been finalized but it looks to be so. They are trying to get STS back to its roots so to speek, where you dont need an engine swap to have a competitve car.
Old 06-03-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally posted by usafstud
are u guys running a bucket seat with the harnness or just the harnness with the stock seats
Stock seat and a 3 point.... haven't had a chance to try it yet though... hopefully this weekend.
Old 06-09-2003
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
YEAH!! I went to my first AutoX Yesterday!!! It was so much fun. WE all got 4 runs. The parking lot was a little chewed up so there was lots of gravel which didn't help making turns! arg. I plan to go back. I was in the second part of the second heat so I got to watch the mistakes of the first group. I ran a little above a 70 sec my first run, and then got down to a 64 second by my last run with no OC or cones!!!
Old 06-10-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
in the future when i can afford a z06 i am going to take it auto crossing it looks fun and vettes handle like a dream so im looking foward to that day.
Old 06-10-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by sadboy916
in the future when i can afford a z06 i am going to take it auto crossing it looks fun and vettes handle like a dream so im looking foward to that day.

Why wait for the Vette? why not do it now?

FYI. Corvettes need sticky tires to do well in autocross. The stock set up sucks, to much power and no way to properly get it to the ground. You need to get a set of Hoosiers or Kuhmo VictoRacers to do well with that car.
Old 06-10-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
did you just say that the stock suspension in a vette sucks lol. wait let me laugh again lol
Old 06-10-2003
Autocross Junky

not the suspesion, the tires.. to much power, not enough traction.

read the post. there is no mention of Suspension, just Tires.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 06-10-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

jnycash is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller...

I went to my first AutoX this weekend, it was a blast! I can say I'm officially hooked. I ran on the stock Firestones and spent alot of time sliding around cones, but its all good. I came in 3rd out of 5 in my class, so I can't complain for a first time out!

Hey Boiler, I'm on a co-op work assignment this summer, but I'll be back at Purdue this fall. Which club do you drive with up there?
Old 06-23-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

I drive with the Fort Wayne Region, sometimes I run South Bend events if they're close. I'm running at Grissom AFB (Peru, IN) on saturday with SBR, and at Converse Airport (near Marion, IN) on Sunday with FWR. I don't know where you're at now, but if you want to go, PM me and I'll get you the info you need.
Old 06-24-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

I pulled this off Honda-Tech... it's well worth your while to read it.

1. As soon as you pass the start line, you are only losing time.
Minimize how much time you lose. It's not just going faster, it's
spending less time on the course.
2. The trick is to drive 10/10ths. A novice will drive 7/10ths and then
not realize that they went to 13/10ths. Learn the edge and drive it.
That may mean some cones get hit and you spin. It's what teaches you
where 10/10ths is.

3. There are fast parts and there are slow parts. Learn the difference.

4. Don't square off the corners and point and shoot drive. A lot of
corners are parts of smooth arcs you can make. It's faster to drive a
smooth arc than a short straight and two jerky turns.

5. Be aggressive in chicanes. Attack them, stay in front of the turns
and as straight as you can. Getting "behind" in a chicane is a bad
thing.

6. Doing this well means being smooth. Being smooth DOES NOT mean you
are slow. To drive the car smoothly may require controlled chaos in the
car. Fast hand and foot movements do not mean you are not smooth.

7. Know your line you intend on driving. Understand it. Look for it. If
you drive such that you are forcing yourself off that line, you made a
mistake and need to slow down. The line is everything, unless you are
wrong about where the line is...then you need to change your mind.

8. Look ahead to where you want to exit the turn. Adjust your speed into
the corner to make sure your car will be on the right spot when your
exit the corner.

9. It's better to corner under acceleration than braking. Brake earlier
and then get on the throttle as quick as you can.

10. The earlier throttle points will be faster. Give up the end of the
straight to make your corner exit faster. That speed coming out of the
corner will carry thru the whole straight following the corner.

11. Do not try to save runs. If you get screwed up, go off course or mow
down cones. This saves tires.

12. Understeer is often caused by going in to a corner too hot. To
reduce understeer, straighten out the steering and/or reduce throttle
input.

13. A lift or quick stab at the brakes can cause the front of the car to
weight and allow better turn in.

14. Alignments are important.

15. If you start going slower or are less succesful than you should be,
check the car. Sometimes things change and it's hard to notice.

16. Seat time is important.

17. Autocross deliberately. Try to drive deliberately. Not just
reacting...but control the steering and drive the line. Then do it
faster.

18. Don't worry about long lists of tips. Work on one or two things at
a time. Don't try to adjust everything, put in a new swaybar and struts,
try out Hoosiers, and decide to use left foot braking all in one
weekend. Make changes one at a time and see how they feel.

19. There are many ways to setup your car and your driving can
accomodate them. Spend more time on your driving than your car setup.
Human nature is that it's easier to point to your car, or the classing,
or maybe someone else is cheating, or they spent more. But the biggest
variable in autocrossing is still always the driver.

and here is another
For real beginners:

1. If the back end gets loose in a corner DO NOT LIFT.

2. "In a spin, two feet in."

3. Not all of us have a Z06, momentum is everything.

4. If the car is pushing, wind off lock until it hooks up again. Adding lock will only cook your tires.

5. "It's a corolla not a rally car, quit trying to drive it sideways!"

6. Utilizing your brakes to their fullest will save more time than your accelerator ever will.

7. When they say the slolem is optional it doesn't mean you can go around it.

8. If you hit a cone don't let it throw your concentration, remember, you ran it's punk *** over

9. Don't let your hands get crossed up during a run. Practice proper hand technique every day on the street.