Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Helmets

What kinds of stores would sell approved helmets? Right now, the only ones I can think of would be something like a motorcycle dealer, but I'm not sure that I need a very expensive one. I don't plan on crashing my car, but if the rules say I need a helmet, then I figured I better have one. Where is a good place to look for a fairly inexpensive one, and how much can I expect to spend? I don't want to buy the total bottom of the barrel, but I don't need the most expensive one either.
PS--- Looking for retail store suggestions, I know they can be bought online, but I'd rather look at it and try it on etc.....
Old 10-12-2002
Panda

try your local speed shop..i have 3 in my area and they can order it..but then again i wont be able to see it til it gets there..
Old 10-12-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well, you were right... speed shop, but it was the crotch rocket shop. It is OK to run AutoX with an open faced helmet right? Well, I'm going over there to try them on right now, They weren't sure what they had in stock, but if I can find the size, it'll be easier to get it online if I have to.
Old 10-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SleeperCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno exactly what is required for a helmet, but I may just try to get a closed faced motorcycle type helmet. There are some pretty sweet looking ones and the prices can range from an inexpensive $100 or so to an expensive $350 for an Arai brand, etc... Plus I think they would be nicer if you ever got a motorcycle or snowmobile, etc... A closed faced helmet will provide more protection also. Or, you could just remove the visor piece to get more visibility and sound sensitivity at the track. My 2 cents...
Old 10-12-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Got one... I bought a KBC helmet. It's intended for crotch rockets, but it will work perfectly. Fully closed with visor (visor is removable), very comfortable. Snell and DOT approved. Originally $199, the guy sold it to me for $100 because the graphics on it were last years design. Like I honestly care. All it is is a couple of silver and white stripes on a black helmet. I'd take a pic of it, but my dad is out with the digicam. So when he comes back, I'll post it.
Old 10-12-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Here it is.... This should work nicely.
Old 10-13-2002

vietstylez will become famous soon enough
holy crap that is freakn nice
Old 10-13-2002
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
There are two types, one is 'M' for motorcycle, these are not fire retardant and are only good for one impact, the others are 'SA', which are fire retardant and designed for multiple impacts
Old 10-13-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

[hr]Originally posted by: Intruder
There are two types, one is 'M' for motorcycle, these are not fire retardant and are only good for one impact, the others are 'SA', which are fire retardant and designed for multiple impacts[hr]
Question 1: Is either one Acceptable by the SCCA? All their book says is that it has to be Snell 2000 or the 2 previous, which this is.
Question 2: By Impact, you mean the helmet hitting the ground or some other hard surface? What would the likelihood of hitting something hard enough to break the helmet during AutoX? I'm guessing not much, but I may be wrong.
Old 10-14-2002
Registered!!

sumama is an unknown quantity at this point
a helmet for your dangerous civic eh?? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-14-2002
Registered!!

TYPE7RS is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: sumama
a helmet for your dangerous civic eh?? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-31-2003
But it's a Dry Heat

l00pb4k is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay so was there ever an answer to this? Is a Snell M2000 rate kosher with SCCA?
Old 12-31-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
yup.
Old 12-31-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by sumama
a helmet for your dangerous civic eh?? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

its required by the SCCA. and its not the car thats dangerous, its what could happen to the car that is.

ths happened at the Nationals at Topeca in 2000
the car broke the rear hub when it landed. a weak point on Saturns it seems.

Old 12-31-2003
But it's a Dry Heat

l00pb4k is an unknown quantity at this point
sweet, found some on e-bay for like $52.00 including shipping. Full Face, brand new.
Old 12-31-2003
Registered!!

lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zzyzx
[B]its required by the SCCA. and its not the car thats dangerous, its what could happen to the car that is.

ths happened at the Nationals at Topeca in 2000
the car broke the rear hub when it landed. a weak point on Saturns it seems.

Awsome pic....It bet that guy was $hitting his pants.

Quick Reply: Helmets