Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

new to road racing

Old 08-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
em2kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking new to road racing

i did a search but didnt find what i was looking for ... so iam looking to get in to road racing or auto-x preferably road racing my car is all stock other then my NRG set up i live in so-cal so if any one knows any links on phone numbers i can call to get more info on geting started iam just looking for some track time this is something iam thinking of really geting into so any thing could help
thanx guys
Old 08-17-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
For autocross, depending on where in Socal you are check out the Sopac SCCA site

Other wise, for track days (takeing your car out on a race track) check out this thread in the stickies
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

thanx for the info
Old 08-17-2006
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
No prob, there are tons of events in socal, depending if you want to compete in autocross, or run open track events. there's even a Healty Club Racing scene (wheel to wheel racing) down there.

Autocross is typically the easiest to get in to, yet seems to be the more intense compitition wise. Open track is more expensive, but much more laid back. Since its not techinically racing/compitition.

One group I recomend to 1st timers for opne track is Speed Venturs, good group and they have instructors (manditory for 1st timers) and their next event is Sep 8th over at The Streets Of Willow Springs
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

swifty2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure you at least give it a shot! I was out for my first auto-X a couple weeks ago... Most fun I've ever had with my civic!
(We have a group of about 20 cars, show up and race style)

It's something the civic can actually be pretty good at too... unlike straight line racing
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

yea iam about a 2 hour drive from willow springs race way iam going up to watch a time atack race in sep wen i go i was going to check the place out i seen a couple vids of it on youtube pritty nice thanx for the info guys !
after i finish with school (UTI) i am going to try and put together a small race team its something ive been wanting to do for a long time but well see
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
just out of curiousity, why would you perfer getting into autocrossing as to road racing?

i personally do road racing. as a matter of fact, i just went to Gingerman Raceway in Michigan yesterday for an event. just remember, whatever you get into, how well you do is majority based on driver skills. for example, at the track yesterday, i kept up with a Porsche Boxter S (running with racing tires on). i only have an intake for engine performance and suspension work done to my car. so dont be discouraged from getting into one over the other.
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

Da1lydr1ver,i would much rather do road racing over auto-x i have been waching a lot of vids on youtube of streets of willow and it looks like a sweet track i also have been reading a bunch of fourms about racing and from what i read its all about the driver not so much the car and plus i really like speed so i think road racing would be a little better for me i guess on some parts of willow i heard you can get up to about 100 mph ... i dont really know what it is but road racing just seems more apiling to me auto-x looks fun dont get me rong after looking it throught i just like the road racing better

hay is any one going to the red-line challenge on the aug 26-27 at streets of willow (next weekend)
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Da1lyDr1ver
for example, at the track yesterday, i kept up with a Porsche Boxter S (running with racing tires on). i only have an intake for engine performance and suspension work done to my car.
Not nocking your acomplishment, but even a horrible driver in a Boxter S WITH RACING TIRES should beable to beat out your civic. I am saying that he must not have been pushing it to hard, maybe afraid to scratch the paint LOL. Although you would think that if he went to the trouble to get racing tires he would be more competetive. Gingerman is not even that difficult of a track and has lots of run-off. I guess that I am not quite understanding what was going on there. You should try Waterford Hills in Michigan, it is more technical and has a lot less run-off.

Also I think that auto-x is better to start off with for many reasons:

-It is far less expensive
-It teaches good fundamentals that one will need for road racing
-You can find the limits of your car without the fear of a major accident

Just to name a few.

Last edited by EMK20a2; 08-19-2006 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by EMK20a2
Not nocking your acomplishment, but even a horrible driver in a Boxter S WITH RACING TIRES should beable to beat out your civic. I am saying that he must not have been pushing it to hard, maybe afraid to scratch the paint LOL.
i was just mentioning this as a way of demonstrating that racing was more about the driver than car, etc. (not bragging). and yes, the boxter was pushing it, but wasnt running the track well because they didnt know the lines or something.

where are you located? i havent been to Waterford Hills yet, nor have i even heard of it. how far is this track from Gingerman?
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

I understand what you where saying and I am not trying to be an a$$ by no means. All that I am saying is that much more hp with racing tires it would be hard to mess up. Racing tires is the big thing if he had street tires I can see that, but damn racing tires to street tires is night and day.

I am from Toledo here is a link to the track, there are lots of places to mess up. I was recently at an auto-x on the track and watched a couple of people crash.
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272187
Old 08-19-2006
Living Life Turn After Turn

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough
btw... anyone going to the speedventures event sept. 9 at streets? cuz... i'm going haha
Old 08-21-2006
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
lucky, i'm still in Iraq

I'll hit WS and SOW when I get back
Old 09-07-2006

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough
hey usafstud, you back yet? i'm running Redline event SOW CCW sept 15 if you wanna join. it's a friday, or if anyone wants to go www.redlinetrackevents.com
Old 09-08-2006
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
I won't be back until around Christmas time. Then Korea for a year starting in Feb 07. Then Germany after that.
Old 09-08-2006
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by em2kid
Da1lydr1ver,i would much rather do road racing over auto-x i have been waching a lot of vids on youtube of streets of willow and it looks like a sweet track i also have been reading a bunch of fourms about racing and from what i read its all about the driver not so much the car and plus i really like speed so i think road racing would be a little better for me i guess on some parts of willow i heard you can get up to about 100 mph ... i dont really know what it is but road racing just seems more apiling to me auto-x looks fun dont get me rong after looking it throught i just like the road racing better

hay is any one going to the red-line challenge on the aug 26-27 at streets of willow (next weekend)

2 reasons why I prefer autocross to open track (I dont call it road racing cause its not raceing).

1. It has more of what i enjoy.... TURNS.

2. Much more compeditive, which appeals to me.

Not that I havent had a lot of fun on the open track and intend on running more events, its just with a 127hp monster I tend to get a little bored on the "bigger" tracks.

To quote Randy Pobst

I know Solo only comes one minute at a time, but what an intense, non-stop, fast-forward car control exercise minute it is. Sure, the velocity is higher in road racing, but inside the car it is slow-motion in comparison. In Solo, the turns come like machine-gun rounds.
Old 09-08-2006
Registered!!

Christian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to behold
hey guys trust zzyzx when it comes to suspension. he know whole LOT of our suspension in our civics. Hes taking our cars to the EXTREME!!!
Old 09-10-2006

btw, Redline's having another event at Streets of willow on the 15th or sept, i'm going so i'm hoping to see more...ANY 7th gens there haha
Old 09-11-2006
Autocross Junky

... Need tires.....

Thinking of usning my 15/6.5 slipsreams and warpping a shaved set of RA1's on them.... then picking up a new set of 15X7's and running RT-615's for autocross... need more $$$
Old 09-11-2006
Registered!!

I need tires too, especially since I am in the SM class. I am debating if I want to invest in a set of race tires. Either way I need new street tires, mine fronts are bald on the inside from the neg camber. I doubt that even rotating them will help at this point. If I get race tires though it will impact what street tires I get. So I am just not sure what I am going to do
Old 09-15-2006
Registered!!

Axxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by EMK20a2
I need tires too, especially since I am in the SM class. I am debating if I want to invest in a set of race tires. Either way I need new street tires, mine fronts are bald on the inside from the neg camber. I doubt that even rotating them will help at this point. If I get race tires though it will impact what street tires I get. So I am just not sure what I am going to do

FYI, if you drive your car hard on the track, the outside wears out faster, and you'll soon find that you want more camber (especially in the front).
Old 09-15-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Axxe
FYI, if you drive your car hard on the track, the outside wears out faster, and you'll soon find that you want more camber (especially in the front).
Not if your track tires are you street tires. I am running -1.8 on the front and -.5 on the back. The outside will wear some on the track from the tire rolling over, but it is a way different kind of wear than the -camber wear (more of a wall scrub). This wear in no way minimizes the wear created by daily driving. Besides if you are getting a significant wear then you tire pressure is likely to low causing the tire to roll over more (these are the guys that you can really hear going around the autox course LOL). Some tires have marks to help read the "scrub" so you know how to set the pressure. I have gotten good at this with my current tires.

Last edited by EMK20a2; 09-15-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2006

zzyzx, for get the RA1s and get some Nitto NT01's... i know one of the head engineers there and he can hook it up.