Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Nurburgring this Sunday!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gangrel138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nurburgring this Sunday!!!

That's right. I've been invited by some friends to go out to the Nordschleife this Sunday. I'm bringing the camera along for some in car footage so you race junkies won't feel left out of my experience. My goal for the first lap is to run under 10 minutes and we'll see how much time I can shave off after that. Wish me luck.
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

Tomorrow is the big day. I hope I come back in one piece. I have no shortage of people wanting to ride shotgun so you'll see plenty of video.
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

mr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the rough
LLLUUUUCCCCKKKKKYYYY! get pics and LOTS of videos....i wanna see! mang you lucky *****..........! lol
Old 10-29-2005

jamesandrew58 is an unknown quantity at this point
SUScriberd
Old 10-29-2005

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JDMInspired
SUScriberd
suBscribed?
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

It's gonna be fun. My buddy is now driving his truck up there so I won't have to shoe horn the track tires into the trunk
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

Well I survived despite sliding into the grass at 100 mph and caking my car in dirt and grass. Best lap was 11:30 but I could have done better if I didn't have to slow down/miss the racing line to let the faster cars and bikes go by. I'll have some video posted later on tonight but for now I'm going to Pizza Hut to fill the black hole that is forming in my stomach.
Old 10-30-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
wow i cant wait 2 see some vids
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

You asked for video and now you've got it. My friend was kind of an idiot and kept hitting the shutter button so we only got a little over 6 minutes of usable footage. I've only edited to tone down glare and remove some of the portions where the glare was real bad. All conversation was recorded and you'll hear us talking about where I slid out on the 1st lap. You'll see a swath of grass about 1 and 1/2 car lengths wide on the left hand side with a guardrail at the end of it and understand why I'm so damn lucky.
Video:

Last edited by gangrel138; 11-01-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

mr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the rough
wow looked like REAL fun! but your car sorta sounded funny, iono like it was just in the high rpms the whole time....but none the less good stuff mang. wish i could go there!
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mr_fobster
wow looked like REAL fun! but your car sorta sounded funny, iono like it was just in the high rpms the whole time....but none the less good stuff mang. wish i could go there!
It was. I'm in a Civic HX(CVT tranny) and I had it in Sport the entire time.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
10 minutes is pretty hard.

I'll be on that track tonight, will be playing GT4
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

I think we can make around a 10:30 next year on new tires and a weekday when there is not so much traffic on the track. It was pretty ridiculous. I'm guessing there were about 60-80 vehicles on the course at any given time. Kind of makes it hard to take the racing line when there is a Ducati or Porsche zipping through it.
Old 10-31-2005
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
I envy you, i can only dream to drive the Green Hell......one day.
Old 10-31-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
^^^^ Ditto, its on the list. Definitely sounds wierd without gears shifting and such, but I think I'd take a diesel rental car on the ring if I had to.
Old 10-31-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
How long are you stationed out there for bro
Old 10-31-2005
Registered!!

Another 2 years. 3 if I put in an overseas extension. The track is only an hour and a half away so I can make it out there and back on a tank of gas. If anyone plans to come out while I'm still here let me know and I might be able to meet you there. And Hawk, the restaurant there is called the Grune Holle(Green Hell).
Old 10-31-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, you lucky man you. I would give my left nut to drive that... plus I'm thinking of enlisting lol
Old 11-01-2005
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gangrel138
And Hawk, the restaurant there is called the Grune Holle(Green Hell).
Hope that doesn't mean anything about the food

I hope to take a European vaction sooner or later, and that will be 1/2 of my week. I've done so many virtual laps between GT4 and GTR that i practially know the thing by heart.
Old 11-01-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hawk
Hope that doesn't mean anything about the food

I hope to take a European vaction sooner or later, and that will be 1/2 of my week. I've done so many virtual laps between GT4 and GTR that i practially know the thing by heart.
I can't wait to find out about your "actual" physics lesson. hahaha
Old 11-01-2005
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
I can't wait to find out about your "actual" physics lesson. hahaha
i already know about my actual physics lesson, it's not like i'm a track noob or something

The only thing a racing simulator (which GT4 isn't) is good for is learning the line of the track and basic car handling characteristics, there is nothing like real world seat time.

Last edited by Hawk; 11-01-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

I'm aware of your ability to drive on the track. But I'm just curious to see what you find when you hit a track you've only been driving in a simulator in a car that probably isn't what you're used to driving in the game (even with the same car it'd be interesting to see a side by side comparison)
Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

Add to the fact that the game doesn't simulate the normal traffic and track conditions like wet spots, leaves, etc. They even have a tour bus that runs the loop for anyone too scared to drive it. Thank god I didn't have to try passing that. Trust me on this. Go out there on a weekday to drive it and on the weekend to gawk at the fast cars.
Old 11-02-2005
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
I'm aware of your ability to drive on the track. But I'm just curious to see what you find when you hit a track you've only been driving in a simulator in a car that probably isn't what you're used to driving in the game (even with the same car it'd be interesting to see a side by side comparison)
That is whats pretty cool about the simulators that are out now, I can take a Civic Type R ETCC race car around Watkins Glen before i go there. I had never been on the real track but i did a bunch of laps in the game before i got there, when i got there i knew the line straight away, the instructor asked me if i was sure i hadn't done tracking before.

I wish there were days that they just closed the Ring to racers only, i know that some car manufactures get it closed, but they need to do track days.
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

And only let people on by class(i.e. supercars, bikes, tour buses and ADAC tow trucks, everyone else, etc.) I know I don't have the power output yet to run really good laps but I'm hoping to change that next season with a turbo. And Hawk, you might want to do a ride along with me before driving the track yourself. It's good to see all the blind corners in real life before attempting to drive them.
Old 11-04-2005
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally Posted by gangrel138
And Hawk, you might want to do a ride along with me before driving the track yourself. It's good to see all the blind corners in real life before attempting to drive them.
No offense but if i'm riding shotgun around that place with anyone its gonna be Sabine mmmm M5
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

That's an alternative too. I hear the ring taxi is pretty fun. I saw Sabine driving one of them but I didn't get a chance to talk to her.

Quick Reply: Nurburgring this Sunday!!!