Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

whosing looking to start karting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
whosing looking to start karting?

I'm in the process of finally getting my go kart when I get back from Ohio to California in April. I'm going in with the single speed series.

I'm still deciding on many things right now.

chassis: Margay(very well know nationally) or Gold Kart(large local support)

Engine: Briggs 4 cycle(low maintance, sealed, direct drive, less competion in
the class, 7K RPM, torque) or Yamaha 2 cycle(maintance, blue print
cost, clutch, huge class, 15K RPM, top end)

The Spec Miata plan will be put to the slow program now. Buy my friends 91 in the summer. Slow build to Spec Miata specs. Take it out to open track events this year, 2005. Start racing in 2006.

How do I fund for these two things. Live off of Top Ramen(11 cents). Partner up with people to save on travel and lodging.
Old 01-12-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I'm actually looking to get 2 KT100 Karts from my uncle... not for compitition though, as the engine and Chassis are a good 15 Years old. (I Use to drive them when I was a kid) They would be Great for seat time.

have you looked in to F125? Shifter karts are fun!!! Drove my Friends 250CC shifter..... I sware its the single fastest thing I've ever driven, he says if properly geared it will do 0-100 in around 7 seconds.... or you could gear it to have a top speed of aroudn 150........ all with your *** 2 inches from the asphalt
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
I'm actually looking to get 2 KT100 Karts from my uncle... not for compitition though, as the engine and Chassis are a good 15 Years old. (I Use to drive them when I was a kid) They would be Great for seat time.

have you looked in to F125? Shifter karts are fun!!! Drove my Friends 250CC shifter..... I sware its the single fastest thing I've ever driven, he says if properly geared it will do 0-100 in around 7 seconds.... or you could gear it to have a top speed of aroudn 150........ all with your *** 2 inches from the asphalt
at first I wanted to go with a 125CC shifter. but when I found out how much $$$ goes into maintance, i dropped that idea. also, been told, you learn much more on driving skills with a single speed(sprint)
Old 01-12-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by usafstud
at first I wanted to go with a 125CC shifter. but when I found out how much $$$ goes into maintance, i dropped that idea. also, been told, you learn much more on driving skills with a single speed(sprint)

True, with the non shifting karts its all about speed management.... e.g., try to maintain as much speed through the corners as you possibly can....

BTW, are you going to run out at SMMP any time soon?
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

currently no. I planned on doing 5 track days and 1 autoX this month, but saving up that money for the kart when I get back in April. In the summer, I might have a chance heading out there, but due to strict finance plan, maybe not. I'll have to see.

I'm just trying to get as much seat time as possible right now with minimal cost. The good things about the tracks in SoCal for me is, I can go there and back home all in one day. If its a weekend, I have a place to spend the end at my friends.

Maybe if I can spend the night at your place.
Old 01-12-2005
Autocross Junky

I'll have a house in about 3-4 months....
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

TSSCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always been interested in karting. How much do these things cost nowadays? When I was a little kid, my father who is a motor racing enthusiast put me in some local go-kart competition out in Asia but it's been years since the last time I sit in one of those.
Old 01-15-2005
mhr
Registered!!

mhr is an unknown quantity at this point
i race karts on dirt tracks.. the cost has gone up quite a bit over the years. It's not too cheap if you want to do it right.
Old 01-16-2005
Autocross Junky

A nationally preped F125 kart would cost you around 10,000 when you are all done with it. other wise you could pick up a shifter kart used for sub 5,000 if you pick one up right after the season is over.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

Are there any club racing for karting in the east coast?
Old 01-16-2005
Autocross Junky

This might help
http://www.nkn.com/home.htm
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

Great!! Thanks for the info. Have you been doing karting yourself for a while?
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

ekartingnews.com is really good
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

after talking to a guy from Jim Hall racing school(his first name was Jim, so i guess it was him)

i'm going with the GOLD chassis