Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

THread on Driving Technieques...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
THread on Driving Technieques...

Good Idea? Bad idea? any intrest at all? or way to complex/abstract of a subject to cover?

any way, I figure we could post about how we handle corners and other such concepts (Heel toe, Trail braking, Left foot braking, and the like).
Old 12-30-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
I would love a thread like that. We've gone hardcore on shifting, but nothing on how to prepare for a turn or take one in detail. Braking and all would be amazing.
Old 12-30-2004
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
I'll read what you people post. There's a lot of threads about this stuff floating around here. Can all that information be consolidated?

I don't autocross, but I like to take corners smoothly and swiftly around town. When coming to a corner, I apply the clutch/brake as I'm slowing to the maximum safe speed to take the corner, rev match with the side of my size 13 foot while I'm braking, downshift, hit the apex, then power out of the turn. If there's any better way to take corners , I'm all ears.

Last edited by masarak; 12-30-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2004
Got the broccoli in my back pocket

2k3kansasEX is an unknown quantity at this point
i never auto x'ed before but i grew up LFB so it is just habit for me. plus i have an automatic
Old 12-31-2004

How come there isn't more interest in this.
Old 12-31-2004
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
driving techniques is a very controversial topic. different styles require different techniques... it would be hard to get accurate info for those who don't understand or haven't found their style yet. two very common styles are the slick drivers and the whip it drivers. the slick style is driving like you're on rails and the whip is is well, one that tosses the car around corners.
Old 12-31-2004
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Roy
driving techniques is a very controversial topic. different styles require different techniques... it would be hard to get accurate info for those who don't understand or haven't found their style yet. two very common styles are the slick drivers and the whip it drivers. the slick style is driving like you're on rails and the whip is is well, one that tosses the car around corners.
good point but i think reading information on different styles can help a novice find there own personal style. For me personally id love to read and learn about others driving techniques. We could all learn a thing of two
Old 12-31-2004

yeah and its going to be a thread, maybe it can have diff topics.

I certainly learned my heel-toe downshifting and my proper up-shifting because of this forum.

I'd love to learn some trail braking, and other stuff Zzyzx mentioned like left foot braking.
Old 12-31-2004
Registered!!

nickm748 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well im clearly a whip it driver!
Old 12-31-2004
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nindoo
How come there isn't more interest in this.

its quite difficult for me(or others) to describe what we do.

i personally think that you can only learn "THE BASIC CONCEPT" from reading driving books and how you learn to really do it is on the track

imo, go buy some racing books if you want to learn about techiques, i have 4 books currently
Old 12-31-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by usafstud
its quite difficult for me(or others) to describe what we do.

i personally think that you can only learn "THE BASIC CONCEPT" from reading driving books and how you learn to really do it is on the track

imo, go buy some racing books if you want to learn about techiques, i have 4 books currently
It is like teaching someone to drive stick. There aren't instructions, they just have to do it and everyone does it differently.
Old 01-02-2005
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
it's like cooking mashed potatos. there are many different ways to do it and everyone will tell you a different way. but they all work... for themselves, and have slightly different results.
Old 01-03-2005

clubrsx has posted a lot goodies on road racing and auto x. It would be cool if we had something like that here.

For Road racing they gave a good tip. They said buy f1 2002, and have a logitech steering wheel and pedals with force feedback. They said you would have to pay 10's of thousands of $$ for that type track experience.
Old 01-03-2005
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
i loved left foot braking. my old car i used to gun it at all the corners and right before i would left foot brake and heal toe. i made such great numbers cause i upgraded my brakes so it braked really strong. w00t i need to goto sleep
Old 01-04-2005
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Throw somethin' together Spencer !! I'd love to learn more/different techniques!

Maybe a vid demo for some BASIC concepts, (entry, exit, hand placement, foot techniques while someone tapes your feet while driving, etc.)? THAT would be GREAT! (Just yer basic parkinglot demo messsin' around with a friend taping you).

I'd do one, but I don't consider myself worthy to "instruct" someone on how to drive their own car. lol
Old 01-04-2005

Clubrsx has a nice racing section maybe we could have the same thing. I'd really like to get into road racinf but slowly with small investements at a time.
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
Throw somethin' together Spencer !! I'd love to learn more/different techniques!

Maybe a vid demo for some BASIC concepts, (entry, exit, hand placement, foot techniques while someone tapes your feet while driving, etc.)? THAT would be GREAT! (Just yer basic parkinglot demo messsin' around with a friend taping you).

I'd do one, but I don't consider myself worthy to "instruct" someone on how to drive their own car. lol
best motoring vids have really good footage of footwork
Old 01-04-2005

Originally Posted by usafstud
best motoring vids have really good footage of footwork

Exactly!

If Zzyzx, Boilermaker1, RobClark, Roy, etc. were to actually compile a set of vids...each of something that they do well....

WE'D BE SET! And I'm SURE we'd ALL learn something from them..I know I could use the help!
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

www.superhonda.com

usually have good links for best motoring vids
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

thecheat is an unknown quantity at this point
left foot is cake once you get your foot trained. its just a little odd at first cause its used to going all the way in for shifting and if you do that to the brake the car will stop, or spin. If you want to learn left foot go somewhere big and empty like a mall parking lot after hours and try to stop using your left foot. Start at slower speeds so you dont look too silly the first time you do it when the car locks up (or goes into ABS). I taught myself on fernwood pacific after getting wased by a miata because I couldnt control my line as good as he could, kept lifting to get the front back and the dude checked out on me. almost bit a few times but I had to learn. The real trick to left foot braking is knowing when to use it. Remember that it adjusts you line and smothes out the entries but they are the brakes and they do slow the car down. works best for me in fast downhill corners and very tight roads that only require one gear, usualy 2nd. if I need to downshift for the exit I use a more conventional braking technique, slowing to corner speed while downshifting with heel toe. I cover the brake with my left foot through the apex in case I get excess understeer but I'm real careful not to ride it at all. sorry this got so long
Old 01-04-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
Exactly!

If Zzyzx, Boilermaker1, RobClark, Roy, etc. were to actually compile a set of vids...each of something that they do well....

WE'D BE SET! And I'm SURE we'd ALL learn something from them..I know I could use the help!
I have lots of stuff from in the car... but the camera isn't really placed well for instruction. If I can get a camera mounted in some way that its under the sear pointed at my feet, we got something we can do.
Hmmm.... lemme work on that once I get my car back.
I'll have to see how many ways I can adjust the camera, and still keep it out of my way.
Old 01-05-2005

Just do some parking lot practice and have a friend hold the camera zoomed in on your feet.

I think that would work well.
Old 01-05-2005
Registered!!

someguy is an unknown quantity at this point
best motoring is where i saw how to heel-toe and double clutch. i am also interested in hearing other peoples driving techniques. mine works for me right now...but wouldnt mind reading what others do.
Old 01-05-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I know stuff about suspension, but judging by my autox times, I suck at driving so don't ask me for any techniques. ****, I want to learn some!!
Old 01-05-2005

I think youll all agree thats watching vids will probabaly help with heel-toe, but racing is a lot more than smooth downshifting. I want to learn how to brake, take turns, learn the line and all that stuff, but I guess the only real way would be to race. And the only way to start a thread would be if a lot of us raced. I know there are a few, but maybe we need a more 7thgen racers.
Old 01-05-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
best place to go to learn to autocross better... Go to a National Tour event.