sts question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
sts question

the rule states;
"The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced. For naturally aspirated engines, the engine inlet is the inlet to the throttle body or carburetor. For turbocharged or supercharged engines, the engine inlet is the compressor inlet. The existing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for mounting."

does this mean that i could put an aftermarket CAI on, and create some kind of ducting to the air filter, as long as i don't modify the bodywork or frame?
Old 10-14-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Skunk2ner
the rule states;
"The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced. For naturally aspirated engines, the engine inlet is the inlet to the throttle body or carburetor. For turbocharged or supercharged engines, the engine inlet is the compressor inlet. The existing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for mounting."

does this mean that i could put an aftermarket CAI on, and create some kind of ducting to the air filter, as long as i don't modify the bodywork or frame?
Correct. It's the "ram air" concept that Weapon-R was shooting for...but ended up with a lame product. lol

Unless you wanna be like USAF stud, and cut a hole in yer front bumper...make it look ghetto...and say "I must have hit something" when the tech guys ask you. (Not that he does that...but that would be MY excuse)
Old 10-14-2004
Registered!!

haha
well i was thinking of just getting like, i dunno, the AEM V2 or something and using my craftiness and creating a heat shield of some kind around the filter and some small ducting work from under the car or somehow from the front of the car.
Old 10-14-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You can do anything you want, as long as it stops at the throttle body and you don't cut any holes. The battery tray can be removed since its specified in the battery relocation rule that its permissible. Moving the battery to the trunk and pulling the tray out makes a HUGE hole to get cold air from. You may be able to cut the foglight housing out. Just cut them both out, if anyone questions it, tell them the foglights broke and you just took them out.
Old 10-14-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
You currently have little mods to the car. Take them off and run stock. You will get your *** handed to you in STS with just an intake.
Old 10-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by robbclark1
You currently have little mods to the car. Take them off and run stock. You will get your *** handed to you in STS with just an intake.
my only modification is my skunk2 catback. does this kick me out of stock class?
my intention is to get full coilovers, and as much suspension mods as i can and still be in sts, i didn't plan on running sts as is lol. i'd be worked.
what other performance mods can i get away with other than suspension, CAI and exhaust? i hear i could use a header, any other mods that actually add power?
Old 10-14-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
You can run Stock with a Cat back exaust... The stock classes arnt really all that stock.

You can also change the shocks, change the filter element (retaining the stock air box), Change the FRONT anti-roll bar, run any DOT legal tire, Run any wheel that matches the stock dimentions.... ect ect ect.....
Old 10-14-2004
Registered!!

sweet. i just got my new tires. falken ziex 512 205/50/15's on my stock steelies. i should run stock just for fun before i beef up my suspension and such.
Old 10-14-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Yes, go play around with it stock first.... it'll teach you how to deal with the understeering buffalo. Then when you have better underpinnings, you won't take them for granted.
Old 10-14-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Look at the rules for stock. Catback, shocks, pads/rotors of OEM size, front sway bar, drop in filter, wheels of OEM size and any type of tire.
Old 10-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
definetly race stock for a little while. i screwed up on that one i was lowered and had rims before i started so i got bumped into STS. if you do go up you can do a street legal header, motor mounts, urethane bushings, pullies, and a v-afc. not that this will give you much power but when you are talking about thousandths of a second, it all helps.
Old 10-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CrazyCakes
definetly race stock for a little while. i screwed up on that one i was lowered and had rims before i started so i got bumped into STS. if you do go up you can do a street legal header, motor mounts, urethane bushings, pullies, and a v-afc. not that this will give you much power but when you are talking about thousandths of a second, it all helps.

thanks! yeah. maybe i'll run stock class for a little while. i'm sure i could learn a few things before i go ahead and pick out parts. i can't wait. i think the closest place to Orange County that they have solo II is california speedway in LA.
Old 10-15-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
You've got the CalClub near you, and if you want you could take a trip to SD... your actually lucky, you get to run on National Style courses with some of the best in the nation.... I wish Las Vegas had that.

http://www.calclub.com/