Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

1st Open Track event.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
1st Open Track event.

Well, I finally did it. went to my 1st open track event yesterday out at the spring moutain Motorsports park in Parumph. I have to say it was quite fun. Didnt feel like I was competing, more like I was flying through some country roads with a pack of people. Of course now I want to do Wheel to wheel racing even more.... I'll definitly do it again.

oh ya, if you've done a bit of autocross and are comfortable with the car.... DO NOT RUN WITH THE BEGGINER GROUP!!!!! those people are Scary Dangerous I nearly rearended a Focus and an Infinity becasuse of them Braking too early and we got red flaged three times due to people going off course and spraying rocks all over the track. I felt much safer running with the advanced group.

I recomed that every one try an open track event or two, Just remember that its not a compeditive event!!! just go have some fun, and dont worry about passing or being passed.
Old 09-26-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Maybe in 5 years when I am done with school I will have the time!!
Old 09-26-2004
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, if u run autox for a while all the skills can be apply for open track, and damn useful skill, just remember to get to know the track before pushing the car (spun out twice in first 2 lap on first time for open track really **** my pants off). But the second time is good when i brought my R there and my time was compareable to the solo1 guys in my class who have been running the track for a few yrs
Old 09-26-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
I'm scared to run the track now with my 900 in./lb. rear springs...lol

I was drifting through boxes going 30 mph....if I were any faster?!?!? Yeah..I'd be the reason for one of those red flags. lol

But maybe someday I'll be able to afford some REAL race tires and get up enough guts to give the BC's some much needed TRACK time.

Got any pics? Vids?
Old 09-27-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Pictures can be found here... http://www.balzx.com/del/images/phot...ALLSchallenge/

My best lap was a 2:09.155 out at the Spring moutain Motorsports park...

Highlights of the day.... 2 Focuses spun in front of me, 2 different times... One got Highsided at the apex of corner 3 (That was really funny) Got to pass a Ferrari 308 GTB, a Porsche GT3 and a few mustangs... riding the GT3s butt was interesting, as every corner I had to slow down for him, but on every straight it was like I was standing still... Finally the guy was nice enough to lift and let me by.
Old 09-27-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on making it over to OT finally dood!

I prefer open tracking myself. On avg I get 75 minutes of total on-track time (not including extra time per session, warmup laps, etc) at my local track. Quite the diff from autoX!

Our track here usually has no grouping for beginners/advanced unless needed, and no real grouping very often for power cars. SO sometimes you find yourself stuck behind some jackass in a stock miata who refuses to let anyone pass. Or a mucle car who holds you back in all corners, leaves you in the dust on straights and you catch right back up to them to be held back again at the next corner...

and then rhere are those jerks who think they are the tracks gift to man who fly past you in corners where they arent supposed to be passing, etc.

At our track, you are only supposed to pass on certain straight aways and only with permission of the car you are going to pass. I wave people past me all the time because I tend to be the slowest. And they thank me for getting over (NSX, M3s esp)

r
Old 09-27-2004
Autocross Junky

I did have alot of fun, but I have to say that autocross is Much more intense... Open track almost feels like I was going in slow motion. I'll definitly go again though.

but before I do, the car needs some adjustments....
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet. I wouldnt mine doing a ot day. I need to get smaller wheels to do it in though.
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
sounds like you had a blast man, one day i wanna do some of that stuff
Old 09-27-2004
Autocross Junky

GreenCivic, Open track events are not compeditive events. they are just a bunch of people renting a track to go drive on. So your 17s will do fine. You may not be going as fast as you could, but who cares, you'r driving on a race track!!

Fatty, I was aslo concerned about my car being a bit oversteer prone, but it was actually quite nice.... so If you get the chance I say go for it.

Robb.... The event only cost me $150 for the day.... that and a full tank of gas...
Old 09-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well how do the Azenis like track heat? I'm curious.
The one I did was mostly Hondas. Problem is when you get together a bunch of swapped and built hatchbacks, I still had 1/2 the horsepower. I could maintain distances until it came time to go straight.
Old 09-27-2004
Autocross Junky

They survived well. they did get greasy, but not nearly as bad as you might think. I just ended up pushing a bit more. no biggie. I think if it was a compeditive event, like wheel to wheel racing I'd want some thing different, but for the ocational track event they are fine.
Old 09-28-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I know. I'm just saying, I would want to get some additional wheels because I wouldnt want to wear out my daily driving tires. If I had 2 sets of wheels it wouldnt be a problem.

One question though, What octane do you use when you auto-x or ot?
Old 09-28-2004
Autocross Junky

87 :P No real point on using any thing else for this engine (Low compression)
Old 09-28-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Zzyzx, thats crazy how you were riding the GT3. Imagine what you could have done if you had a potent engine under your hood.
Old 09-28-2004
Autocross Junky

THey guy wasnt all that experianced, so I could keep with him in the corners (He was actually slowing me down in the corners.) as soon as we hit a straight-a-way... It was like I was standing still.
Old 09-28-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Its good your racing as you tune your car, your probably one the few who will actually be able to push a car 10/10 once you get into the higher end sports cars.