Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

legal helmets??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
legal helmets??

anyone know any place in the bay area that sells helmets that would work for auto x and that are a pretty good price? thanks
Old 09-12-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Pn0ybOiLiKehOy
anyone know any place in the bay area that sells helmets that would work for auto x and that are a pretty good price? thanks

Honestly....go to your local Motocycle shop. They're usually about $80 for a plain white or black helmet, and it'll be legal for long enough to get your money out of it.

But..if you MUST purchase sight-un-seen...

http://www.soloracer.com/helmets.html

Is a good place to start.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

OOOOF!! LOOK AT THOSE PRICES!! will any motorcycle helmet do the job? or do i have to look for certain things in a helmet..like snell or DOT or ect. sorry im sucha n00b
Old 09-13-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Pn0ybOiLiKehOy
OOOOF!! LOOK AT THOSE PRICES!! will any motorcycle helmet do the job? or do i have to look for certain things in a helmet..like snell or DOT or ect. sorry im sucha n00b
Click Me
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

hey thanks =)
Old 09-13-2004
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Honestly, I wouldnt go sheap on a helmet man, I used to think cheap is best for safety equipment in autoX, but these things will save your *** one day. Also, if your serious enough to buy a helmet, youll prolly be in it for awhile, so most likely you will be doing some roadcourse sessions, then youll be kicking yourlself for not spending an extra $100 for a better helmet.

These are the best ones for autoX, I have a friend that uses this BELL one, he loves it...

BELL SR-Pro

But, I'll probably be getting the knock off, unless I get a killer deal on the BELL...

G-FORCE Pro Force Hybrid

They work like an open face, but the chin bar could come in handy in some situations, plus theyre SA2000, you will be hanging on to it for awhile.

Last edited by jiggerachi; 09-13-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
G-Force or HJC are relatively low priced. I personally like an open faced helmet. If you plan on doing road racing you need at least a SA00 approved helmet. Open face are usually cheaper. As long as they are MA00 or SA00, you should be good to go. You might want to wait until next year. I think helmets are up for a review in 2005 so then you can get a MA05 or SA05 and have it last 5 more years. The SA00 or MA00 will probably expire in 2010.
Old 09-13-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy a closed face helmet if you're anywhere that is hot in July. it sucks. I made the mistake, I regret it.
I wouldn't be buying anything with a 1995 Snell sticker on it, they're all going to expire at the end of next year. Either buy an SA or M2000 helmet or wait for the Snell 05s to come out then buy it. I also wouldn't buy a helmet without trying it on first.
Old 09-13-2004
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
^What about those that I posted?? Theyre supposed to be as cool as an openface, have you heard anything about them?? A friend of mine has one, & loves it, but I didnt ask him how hot it got.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

thanks guys for all the help i still need to think about it but thanks for the help!