Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Auto X bad for my car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Auto X bad for my car?

My friends were telling me not to auto X.

There telling me is ruins your car. He was telling it is safer for the car to do 1/4 drags.

I wanted to know if I had anything to worry about. Keep in mind I am a beginner, but I'm not an idiot and will do whatever it takes to take care of my car.

I don't mind my tires wearing out and what not and getting maintenace done on the car as I put mileage on it, I mean that's probably what everyone does.

So Auto Xers any issues you had with your cars? Do your cars still run well?
Old 08-11-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well think about it this way... you can chew tires and brakes (which are about $400 a set and $50 a set respectively) or you can make drivetrain soup (which who knows how much that costs). You decide.
I've got 33K miles on the car since I started racing it, I recommend this:
Oil every 3K
Tranny Fluid every 10-15 (its about $8 to change it, no whining)
Coolant every 20-30
Spark plugs once a year or every 25K
Valvetrain clearance every 30K
Check/change your shocks (changing them is a one time deal for many years)
and all the other basic maintainance.
If you keep the car up and look for problems, you shouldn't have any because you'll catch them before they happen.
You can't destroy the car racing it, sure you'll wear things out, but drag racing (clutch dumps, slam shifting, constant acceleration) is harder on your engine and transmission than turning.
Mine runs like a top, I think you'll find thats the case with all of us... because we keep our cars on top of their game.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 08-11-2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I don't have any issues either as long as you keep it maintained. Any type of racing will wear parts more quickly, but it won't destroy your car. Very rarely do you see a car with a blown rod on an autox course.
Old 08-11-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
Anything outside of the normal use of a car is goign to wear on it more. Like was said above, if you maintain, its all good.

Look at it this way...

Life is the journey not the destination.

Do you want to be the old *** rich guy who never enjoyed his journey because he was too concerned with the destination aka saving for something that he never enjoyed?
Old 08-11-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nindoo
My friends were telling me not to auto X.

There telling me is ruins your car. He was telling it is safer for the car to do 1/4 drags.

I wanted to know if I had anything to worry about. Keep in mind I am a beginner, but I'm not an idiot and will do whatever it takes to take care of my car.

I don't mind my tires wearing out and what not and getting maintenace done on the car as I put mileage on it, I mean that's probably what everyone does.

So Auto Xers any issues you had with your cars? Do your cars still run well?

1) Your friend's are ignorant ricers. (Harsh, but it's my opinion when I hear **** like that )

2) They're probably talking about destroying the brakes and tires. Some think brakes and tires are a big deal, but like Boilermaker said, they're cheaper to upgrade/replace than a new transmission/motor...IMO.

3) If you learn to drive your car to it's potential, and do it well, you really won't be any harder on it than stop-n-go gridlock on a major highway, or taking a corner too fast then hitting a pot hole. Think about it, the ROADS that we drive DAILY are FAR worse on our cars than a nice, grommed, FLAT (usually) surface you would race the car on, i.e. a parking lot, an airport tarmec (sp?), or an actual road course.

4) To re-itterate what was already said a million times....keep up on the ROUTINE MAINTENANCE and you'll be fine.

5) If all other rationale fails.....use my fall back....."Hey....It's a ****IN HONDA!!"
Old 08-12-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I have 80,000 miles on my car.... i've been autocrossing since the car had 30,000 miles... No engine issues, no transmission issues, no clutch issures.... Can your friends go 80,000 miles and not atleas have changed a clutch?

oh ya, the amount of time I've spend bouncing off the revlimiter is starting to get in to the minutes..... and still no problems (Good thing I have a Honda....)

what I have worn out.... 1. Several sets of race tires. 2. one set of OEM pads/shoes 3. Front lower control arm bushings (a whoping $25 to replace)....

I'd have to say that autocrossing is decidedly kinder to your car then drag racing...
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
i think its just that autocrossing is less cool cause its not about making big power. its about actually knowing how to drive, and drive well. besides, its more fun to try to hit apexes than shave your 60ft times

and if youre REALLY worried about it trashing your car, get an old beater car, i.e. a CRX, etc.

theyre great little cars with adequate power for autox, theyre light, and they handle great. theyre lots of fun

oh, and another 1/4 mile vs. autox example.

how many times do you see an SCCA Solo II National Champion rebuliding his engine?
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
You guys hear about those saturn tests?

They put the saturn on a road coarse like auto Xing

and the wheel broke off!!!!!!! BAAHAHAHAHA

I think thats what he means...

Auto Xing bad for the chassis?
Old 08-12-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EternalVTEC
How many times do you see an SCCA Solo II National Champion rebuliding his engine?

Only after a protest.....
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

RipCurl is an unknown quantity at this point
A local racer has been auto-x-ing his 1992 Prelude . It has over 208,000 miles on it (it does. I've seen the odometer). And to this day, it looks like it came off the showroom floor (EVEN THE PAINT hasn't faded or chipped) this guy took GOOD care of his car.
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

slowvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Cones are hard on your paint. Try not to hit them!
Old 08-12-2004
Autocross Junky

^^eh.. Cone juce come off with a little rubbing compound .
Old 08-13-2004

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
^^eh.. Cone juce come off with a little rubbing compound .

Yeah...that ****'ll buff right out...

On a serious note...

Unless you've got a EURO YELLOW 6thgen ITR (REAL ITR) and you catch a cone going sideways, it slides under your car, and into your left front wheel well....and DOESN'T come out......it SHOULD buff right out.

We found CHUNKS of BLACK rubber (from the melted cone) after his SMOKING car past us (workin the course)...LMAO

and OOOOOHHH did it STINK!!!! He kept a piece of it as a "kill trophy" and a "lesson to other cones...don't FVCK with ME!!" he said.

But he said, he'd "have a HELL of a time gettin' that **** off the fender/door panel" LMAO

Last edited by FattyMcJ; 08-13-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2004
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
If you ask an avid game hunter about gun control, of course he's going to reply with the typical "guns don't kill people, people kill people" conversation.

^ Take that as my opinion on the subject.
Nonetheless autox I could agree will make you a good driver.
Old 10-20-2004
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
i haven't started auto-x yet, but i'm going to very soon (stock class for now). i always watch the world-challenge cars on tv and i wish i could do something like that. even if just auto-x.
think about this, you paid somewhere around $15,000 or so for the car, then whatever modifications you do to it, more $$$... and you're just using it to go to work and back??? man, if i'm going to spend that kind of money, i'm going to USE the car.
Old 10-20-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slowvic
Cones are hard on your paint. Try not to hit them!
a bumper bra is only about 20buckets it would take care of that
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

slowvic is an unknown quantity at this point
True. I just use painters tape to cover the bottom of the front bumper.
Old 10-22-2004

Originally Posted by Skunk2ner
think about this, you paid somewhere around $15,000 or so for the car, then whatever modifications you do to it, more $$$... and you're just using it to go to work and back??? man, if i'm going to spend that kind of money, i'm going to USE the car.

Atta boi !!!

Most people just like doing mods for "bling" or "stoplight sprints"....LAME. (Hence the existence of brands like APC and such... )

Old 10-22-2004

Location: San Diego, Ca, USA, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milky Way Galaxy
JoeB18R is an unknown quantity at this point
the only thing you really put serious wear on are the tires. if you can, get a dedicated set of rims and R compond tires. These will allow you to run faster lap times then pretty much any other suspension upgrade that I can think of.
Old 10-22-2004
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
what hardware upgrades are *recommended* (other than struts/springs if doing sts) ? such as endlinks, someone said bushings, yady yady yaday. sorry for such a subjective question...
Old 10-22-2004

Hey dudes I have something thats bothering me. Its the third oil change I've gotten, and I've gotten them done at Honda. After every Oil change my dip stick reading has oil a little above the top indicator. But after a few throusand kilometeres it comes down to a little below the top indicator. Why is that? Is my engine damaged?
Old 10-22-2004

bump
Old 10-22-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Ok, seriously, this bumping thing is starting to **** me off. I've seen you doing it all over the place and its completely unnecessary. You don't need to bump threads to get replies, if someone knows the answer they'll post it, 1 hour isn't that much time, especially in the morning when 3/4s of the board is still asleep or at work. You especially don't need to do it in the autoX forum where I can still see threads from 3 weeks ago on the front page. Learn some patience... jeez.
Old 10-22-2004

Sorry Boilermaker1

I'll stop with the bumping

Last edited by nindoo; 10-22-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

To answer the question, a little oil burning off is no cause for alarm. Just about every engine I know of consumes a little... the heat breaks it down. Use of synthetic helps, because synthetic can withstand higher temps better but even that will burn off a little.
Old 10-22-2004

Location: San Diego, Ca, USA, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milky Way Galaxy
JoeB18R is an unknown quantity at this point
you also get different readings depending on the temapture of the engine/oil.

for auto cross, i suggest struts/shocks, springs/coilovers of some sort and GOOD TIRES. I dont know how to stress this enough. A good set of R compounds will help you out more in auto-x then ANY suspension upgrade EVER could.
Old 10-23-2004

Anyhow, I checked my oil again I was over reacting. The engine oil was at the same level when I checked the engine in the morning when it was cold. Then I realized that I wont get the same level when the engine is hot.

I got to be less meticulous.
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

trance4mer is an unknown quantity at this point
the oil needs to make it way into the oil filter. so after an oil change u might to idle the car a bit and recheck to make sure its at its level..
Old 11-12-2004

Is AutoX driving all 1st and 2nd gear?

Hey guys ever since I bought my car, when I drive with the wondows closed the engine buzzes at 3000rpm. What gives Honda says its nothing, its really annoying I always think I'm damaging my car. Sometimes the noise goes away. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what have I done to my car?
Old 11-12-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
yes autox is mostly first and second. You might get into third, but with our cars you lose a lot of torque by doing so.

I don't know what you have done to your car, but most of us have had no problems autoxing.

Quick Reply: Auto X bad for my car?