Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Auto X bad for my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by robbclark1
yes autox is mostly first and second. You might get into third, but with our cars you lose a lot of torque by doing so.

I don't know what you have done to your car, but most of us have had no problems autoxing.

Do you have a hard time blipping and switching back to first?
Old 11-12-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nindoo
Do you have a hard time blipping and switching back to first?

Nope, my 2nd to 1st shift is ushually better then any of my other downsifts..
Old 11-12-2004

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Nope, my 2nd to 1st shift is ushually better then any of my other downsifts..

I've been praticing, popping into first at stop signs while coming to halt. Its getting better but I feel something moving inside the gearbox when I shift to first sometimes and other times there is no resistance. Usually from 3-2 always get it. I double declutch and heel-toe should I not double declutch and just rev match with the clutch in?
Old 11-12-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Just rev match, Double clutching on a Sycronized transmission is a wast of time..

It should go something like this.. Brake-Clutch-Rev-Downshift. all this is done while still maintaing brake preasure. its fun to use 5 controls with 4 appendages...
Old 11-12-2004

Zzyzx there is one thing thats bothering me about my car. Honda says nothing is wrong , but my car buzzes at 3000rpm, I mean I here a distinct sound and if I clutch in that rpm it makes a sound (the buzz fading away), I don't here at higher rpms(probably hidden from louder engine) and I don't hear it at lower rpms (maybe the noise it too faint). When I drive with the windows open I don't here it and everything sounds good I'm guessing the wind noise covers everything nicely. I'm still getting kick butt fuel economy, do you think something is damaged?
Old 11-12-2004
Autocross Junky

a Buzzing sound? thats kind of vague.. is it High pitch? low pitch? does it change pitch as RPMs chagne? what ?
Old 11-12-2004

yeah the pitch changes as soon as I hit 3000rpm and then it changes again when I pass it. It comes from the front I think on the drivers side. The sound is at a higher pitch than the engine sound at 2 800 rpm. You ever put a paper in a fan and it makes the repetitve buzzing sound? Something like that just not as high pitched.
Old 11-12-2004
Autocross Junky

Have you added any parts in the engine bay? strut bar? Intake? any thing?
Old 11-12-2004

nope drop in KN air filter. I've had the noise since I bought the car. It goes away soemtimes.
Old 11-12-2004

maybe something is vibrating at that rpm? could it just be resonance?
Old 11-12-2004
Autocross Junky

Hm.. I cant really help much with out hearing it my self..
Old 11-12-2004

Hm.. I cant really help much with out hearing it my self..

I'll try and get it on a sound file later on.
Old 11-12-2004

I think I was overeacting I think thats probably just how a honda engine sounds anyhow here is how my car sounds when I rev it.

http://www.geocities.com/nindooj/Recording2.wav
http://www.geocities.com/nindooj/Recording3.wav
http://www.geocities.com/nindooj/Recording4.wav
http://www.geocities.com/nindooj/Recording5.wav

Let me know if the soudsn are normal. My guess is yes.
Old 11-12-2004
Autocross Junky

Sounds pretty normal to me...

Last edited by Zzyzx; 11-12-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2004

Sounds pretty nomal to me...

Thanks Zzyzx
Old 11-13-2004

Hey Zzyzx, Boilermaker, RobClark check out this thread
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=183085

The guy has a dyno chart of his performance improvements with a lightened flywheel and performance clutch. He says his car runs fine, but I think it sounds too good to be true, he dynoed 125 WHP.
Old 11-13-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I think that is a little high. Even if it was true, flywheels and clutches aren't allowed in STS
Old 11-14-2004

Too bad your autoX leauges don't allow engine mods. You guys do the best R & D. You guys are probably the most knowledgable people on this forum when it comes to performance tunning. A lot of good information concerning suspension mods. Racing improves the breed.
Old 11-14-2004

How much transmission fluid to put in our cars?(Manual EX coupe)
Old 11-14-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
two quarts should fill it. Maybe a little less. Get honda stuff.
Old 11-14-2004

Hey guys my car makes a whining noise when I clutch in at 3000rpm. If I clutch in lower rpm I don't hear it.
Old 11-14-2004
Autocross Junky

Too bad your autoX leauges don't allow engine mods. You guys do the best R & D. You guys are probably the most knowledgable people on this forum when it comes to performance tunning. A lot of good information concerning suspension mods. Racing improves the breed.

There are classes for any mod or car.... Its just that you may end up in a class that you have little to No chance in winning.
Old 11-15-2004

There are classes for any mod or car.... Its just that you may end up in a class that you have little to No chance in winning.
I get it you might have increased your hp by like 10hp while the other guy has strictly made his car for that particular league, its pratically a go kart.
Old 11-15-2004
Autocross Junky

I get it you might have increased your hp by like 10hp while the other guy has strictly made his car for that particular league, its pratically a go kart.

Exactly, You could build a 7th gen to Street Modified rules, but are you really going to be able to compete against 500 HP BMW M3's within that rule set?

Dont get me wrong a SM preped 7th gen would be a really fun car to run.. you just wouldnt be winning many trophys with it.
Old 11-19-2004

Hey guys, is there any adverse affects from shifting to fast. What I mean is when you through your shifter into gear is it bad to through is firm and fast. Is it better to be gentler?

Hey Zzyzx for the other thread about the bolt ons I said "why does a car with cold air intake have better fuel economy? Wouldn't that mean there is a leaner burn? Wouldn't a leaner burn imply more air?" Then he cold air is more dense "Then I said so there is more air since you can pack more of it since its more dense"

Last edited by nindoo; 11-19-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2004
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
^you want it quick, but smooth.

That was one of my main problems starting out autoXing, I would ram it through the gears, I ended up misshifting & grinding gears, so then I took a whole month practicing making it smooth, then sped it up.

One good thing to remember is to not grap the shifter, just open palm 'slap' it into gear, allowing the shifter to find the gear itself, it does a pretty good job on its own, thus avoiding misshifting.

Practice this untill you dont think about it, this will lower the time/effort spent shifting so you can concentrate on turning.

Oh yea, get a harness, that way you dont end up holding on to the shifter for support, its just plastic & will break.

Good luck, & happy turning
Old 11-19-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
it is sortof bad for your trany. it is best to shift smooth, not slow but smooth. you arn't drag racing there is no need to beat up your trans. there is a great article on shifting on www.honda-tech.com in the autox/roadracing forum, just search for shifting, good exercises.
Old 11-19-2004
Just look for the Civic that was attacked by shopping carts

DEcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
At least you have the opportunity to decide whether to go Auto X or drag racing. Here in this crappy state of Delaware, no one has ever even heard of Auto X. If you want to race legally, you have to do it at the drag strip. Or you can be like me. Find the twistiest back road you can and make your own road course.
Old 11-20-2004

Its not so much the complete act of shifting. I mean when I actually push the shifter in gear. Should I be gentle about it or just push it in fast.
Old 11-20-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by DEcivic01
At least you have the opportunity to decide whether to go Auto X or drag racing. Here in this crappy state of Delaware, no one has ever even heard of Auto X. If you want to race legally, you have to do it at the drag strip. Or you can be like me. Find the twistiest back road you can and make your own road course.

Not true...

Hohawk-Hudson Region SCCA
http://www.mohud-scca.org/Solo/

New York Region
http://www.nyr-scca.com/

Southern New York Region
http://members.aol.com/snyrscca/

Centeral New York Region
http://www.cnyroadrace.com/scca/home.html

New England Region
http://www.ner.org/

So there may not be any Autocross in Delaware, but there is plenty of it near by..

Quick Reply: Auto X bad for my car?