Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

EP3 Set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
.. Stock allows you to change the front bar only. Lucky you.

and LSDs arnt legal for STS (Only Stock Viscous Coupling ones are), Youd Have to run STX or STU

13.7 Anti Roll (Sway) Bars

Front anti-roll (sway) bars:

Substitution, addition or removal of any front anti-roll bars is permitted.
Substitution, addition or removal of anti-roll bars may serve no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.
The use of any bushing material is permitted.
No modification to the body, frame or other components to accommodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed, except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.

Rear anti-roll (sway) bars:

May not be removed, replaced, or modified in any way.
You rock dude...thanks.

Only thing is...the Civic Type-R (My car but not in the states) HAS a LSD....OEM...STANDARD! So...in theory...it could be considered OEM...for my "chassis" right?
Old 07-12-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
^^ not really, The car isnt currently sold in the US, so the parts on it can't be considered OEM.

If you did put an LSD in there, you'd go instantly to either SM, STX, or Street prepaired....
Old 07-12-2004

^^ not really, The car isnt currently sold in the US, so the parts on it can't be considered OEM.

If you did put an LSD in there, you'd go instantly to either SM, STX, or Street prepaired....

Damn...oh well....I suppose it's a good thing I can't afford one!
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
while we are on this subject, say i have a RSX rear sway, 19mm, on my EP3. it comes with a 17mm. when i/they designate my car to a class, would they be able to tell if its not "OEM", i mean, they cant know EVERY thing about EVERy car that goes in there. i mean, since its plain black, like oem (as opposed to painted red or something, with a brand decal on it), itll look stock, and it really didnt help me that much after i put it on. so it wont be blatantly obvious that i have it on there. also, say they find you violated class rules, what are the consequences? make your times void? keep your times but list them with the class you now fall into? what?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
THey dont designate any thing. Its up to you and your compeditors to determin if your car is legal for a particular class. Its your choice what class you run, You'd be cheating, but you could run any class you want.
Old 07-13-2004

Originally Posted by EternalVTEC
while we are on this subject, say i have a RSX rear sway, 19mm, on my EP3. it comes with a 17mm. when i/they designate my car to a class, would they be able to tell if its not "OEM", i mean, they cant know EVERY thing about EVERy car that goes in there. i mean, since its plain black, like oem (as opposed to painted red or something, with a brand decal on it), itll look stock, and it really didnt help me that much after i put it on. so it wont be blatantly obvious that i have it on there. also, say they find you violated class rules, what are the consequences? make your times void? keep your times but list them with the class you now fall into? what?

Thanks

Well.....yes and no.

You're right...they probably WON'T know if it's an aftermarket sway bar.

HOWEVER...Solo2 runs on "the honor system" kinda. We all work our shifts on course with out bitching, because we race and hope others do the same for us while we're driving. If people start lying about what parts they have/don't have, effectively CHEATING, then it kinda diminishes the pride of the sport. We're all week-end-warriors...not out for fame or glory....we just like to race and have it as fair as it can possibly be.

As far as consequences......to the best of my knowledge...nobody's ever been "busted" here in CO for "cheating"....so I have no idea what they would be.

But in my own opinion bro...don't do it. Just run STS like the rest of us....lose like the rest of us...and keep it HONORABLE. Cheating is NOT cool bro...
Old 07-14-2004

Ok...something new just happened tonight...and I think it's beneficial for me.

Here's the story...

I know a guy that road/AutoX races his STX prepped RSX-S.

H recently went to a new suspension set-up (full coilovers I think) and is now selling his GC coils, Koni Yellow's, and camber kit(s).

For Sale:

Koni Yellow's (Installed on DC5 strut housings)
GC Slip Coilovers (3 sets)
-Springs (all are 6" x 2.5")
2 x 500 lb/in springs
2 x 600 lb/in springs
2 x 800 lb/in springs
Front and rear sleeves (threaded perches)
Front camber plates
Ingalls F&R Camber Kit (Free)

All of the above for $500.00 and he helps with the install. (Not a big deal, I've done this install 4 times now )

NOW....

My questions are:

1) Will the DC5 Koni/strut housings FIT my EP3 ???? (In theory the DC5 Koni's will have better valving than those for the Civic...?)
2) I KNOW 800 in/lb springs are a bit TOO much for the rear, but would the 600 springs work in the rear? with the 500's up front? (I'm not worried about ride quality...I want STIFF. After the Neuspeed's on the EM2...these should be VERY nice.)
3) From the pics provided...what do ya think? Good or not?

Whole set-up for sale

Rear Camber Kit

Rear Struts

Camber Plates

Front Struts

Yes...they're dirty. But they're only about a year old...so whatcha think?
Old 07-14-2004
Autocross Junky

Well.... The Ground Control Camber plates are worth about $400 alone (New).....

I'd jump all over that just to scavange the parts (Assuming they arn't a direct bolt in)

Each pair of springs run about $50
the Collars fro the Ground control are worth about $200
the konis run $550+ (and you could probably sell them to an RSX owner if they didnt fit).

your looking at easily $1000 in parts just sitting there.
Old 07-14-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
That seems like a good deal, but those aren't true camber plates. They are just slotted upper mounts. You can get slightly more camber out of them, but not much.

I would be all over it. Run the 500 and the 600lbs. I would think they would fit. You might run into problems with the strut mounts. I don't know if they are the same bolt size. They should be 16mm bolts, but who knows.

Last edited by robbclark1; 07-14-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
They should be close. If they arnt, you can always sell what doesnt fit for a profit.
Old 07-14-2004

Yeah...as soon as I said something about wanting them for my EP3.....like 5 other people said they now wanted them....

DAMNIT !!

I prolly won't be able to come up with the money in time to get them....

Ah well....thanks for the input guys!
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
But in my own opinion bro...don't do it. Just run STS like the rest of us....lose like the rest of us...and keep it HONORABLE. Cheating is NOT cool bro...
I understand what you're saying, on the other hand, i dont even know its there, i felt no difference whatsoever.

anyway, anyone ever run GS then switch to STS?

how big of a diffenece in skill is there between the two. i know that everywhere is different cause no two drivers are the same, but im sure skill levels among competitors is similar across the country
Old 07-15-2004

I understand what you're saying, on the other hand, i dont even know its there, i felt no difference whatsoever.

anyway, anyone ever run GS then switch to STS?

how big of a diffenece in skill is there between the two. i know that everywhere is different cause no two drivers are the same, but im sure skill levels among competitors is similar across the country

It doesn't matter what you "FEEL", cause what you don't feel...I might. Ya kno?

It only matters what you HAVE. "Feel", "Skill level", and "Expierence" are all variables that are just about in-calculable (sp?). That's why we put our CARS into classes...not the drivers.
Old 07-16-2004
Registered!!

maybe ill break down and go to the honda dealer and get some new endlinks for my rear sway bar and put the stock one back on. they got fu*ked during the install of my RSX bar. anyone else have that problem. the allen wrench just ate through those endlinks. and it only had about 11000 miles on it (read minimal rust/corrosion/dirt)
Old 07-16-2004
Registered!!

also, anyone ever run GS and then go to STS? big difference in competition level?

thanks
Old 07-16-2004

also, anyone ever run GS and then go to STS? big difference in competition level?

thanks

Only diff 'round these parts....is the Index. Both have good drivers, and both CAN be tough.

Like I said above...the classes are about the CARS....not the drivers.
Old 07-16-2004
Autocross Junky

STS tends to bring more beginers around here. But, if your region has any good STS drivers running say, a 2.5 RS or a 4th gen civic si(88-91)..... Dont expect to be beating them any time soon.

Stock is easier to get in to, but tends to have the fiercest compition (And if you want to do well, be prepaired to buy some Compition only Rubber.)
Old 07-16-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Don't mean to go back, but I have to. Are those konis for sale revalved? otherwise, they're probably not doing so well... stock valving in them is good for something like 450 lb-in... so if he's running 800, I can't see them being in great shape. if they're revalved for higher rates... I say go for it.
Old 07-16-2004

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Don't mean to go back, but I have to. Are those konis for sale revalved? otherwise, they're probably not doing so well... stock valving in them is good for something like 450 lb-in... so if he's running 800, I can't see them being in great shape. if they're revalved for higher rates... I say go for it.

Old 07-17-2004
Registered!!

STS tends to bring more beginers around here. But, if your region has any good STS drivers running say, a 2.5 RS or a 4th gen civic si(88-91)..... Dont expect to be beating them any time soon.

Stock is easier to get in to, but tends to have the fiercest compition (And if you want to do well, be prepaired to buy some Compition only Rubber.)

so would i be better starting in STS or should i try one event in STS and then for the next go back to stock and run GS to see what i like better
Old 07-17-2004

so would i be better starting in STS or should i try one event in STS and then for the next go back to stock and run GS to see what i like better

Either way the tracks will be different. Man....you're worrying too much about this. Just jump into STS, since you've got intake, sway bars, etc. and HAVE FUN!!

Don't worry so much about how you'll do. JUST RACE!!!
Old 07-18-2004
Registered!!

you're right

i just want to be competitive....

oh well
Old 07-18-2004
Autocross Junky

you're right

i just want to be competitive....

oh well
Just so you know.... as a novice, you will lose your first autocross, and you second... and probably a lot more past that. Get over it. Even if you show up with a car Fully preped to the rules, you will still get beat. and As a Novice, the only thing thats going to be making your car slow is you (The driver).

The one thing you need to do is get as much seat time as possible. Go to as many Autocrosses as you can afford, If there is a decent Go Kart track near you, GO. Spend as much time driving at a veichles limits as possible (Just not on the street please).

Seat time is the key, Build your car slowly, and keep re-learning how to drive it.
Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

I hear ya. Will do, thanks
Old 07-19-2004

Due to today's results...I've come to the conclusion that my EP is just about perfect in STOCK FORM for STS. Read below for reasons and mods to come.

Mods to come in order:

1) Hotchkiss front sway bar (kinda no choice, I've already comitted to it, lol, BTW...when we gonna do that? )

2) Racing Harness (Although the locking seat-belt trick and the stock Recaro seats are nice...a harness would DEF. help!)

3) ROTA Slipstreams (with my Azenis mounted...EASILY could have shaved a LEAST a second off my time, not to mention saved the stockies from chunking up, lol)

4) Progress Rear Sway bar/tie bar combo ( Although I got a bit *** happy, it took some effort, so instead of driving THROUGH the corner, I was constantly trying to "get it right")

5) Strut tower bars (stiff stuff....ALWAYS a plus)

6) And last but not least.................. NOTHING .......... FOR A WHILE

It's almost PERFECT!! I must say, this car handles better than my old EM2 that I had dumped over $1500 into the suspension. It's VERY neutral, and I even got it to go a bit "***-happy" today, which made the "hairpin's" a bit more fun, lol. I had VERY MINIMAL problems with understeer, which is a BIG surprise, being that I was completely stock with VERY poor tires (Stock Mich's).

After talking with Tai and Donnie two of the fastest EP's in STS here, Honda must have done SOMETHING to the 04's suspension, because they both commented on how THEIR cars didn't act like mine did (in stock form, and even with full MUGEN coilovers), and Tai thinks that I should approach suspension mods from a different angle than preveously anticipated.....which I COMPLETELY agree with. "Honda spent TONS of time engineering that suspension, and they obviously got SOMETHING right....don't F with it TOO much." -Tai

12. 50/STS DONALD MARINO BOULDER CO > 68.474 <
02 HONDA CIVIC SI COLORADOEP3.COM
SUN: 1) 70.837 2) 69.554 3) 69.269 4) 68.474

(DONNIE^^^02 EP3, Eibach/Koni, Falken Zeix on DD rims 15")

13. 8/STS TAI KAHN DENVER CO > 68.528 <
02 HONDA CIVIC SI COLORADOEP3.COM
SUN: 1) 70.099 2) 69.811 + 1 3) 68.687 4) 68.528

(Tai ^^^02 EP3, MUGEN coilovers, stiff stuff, progress rear sway, Falken Zeix on DD rims)

19. 989/STS STEPHEN EARLS, N COLORADO SPRING CO > 70.530 <
03 HONDA CIVIC EX COLORADOEP3/7THGENERATION.COM
SUN: 1) 71.968 2) 71.345 3) 71.526 4) 70.530

(Crackhead on this site, Hayame's, progress rear sway, 03 front sway, stiff stuff, Azenis on stock steelies)

21. 999/STS JASON SCHOSHKE, N LITTLETON CO > 71.231 <
04 HONDA CIVIC COLORADOEP3.COM
SUN: 1) 71.231 2) 71.300 3) 71.312 4) 69.929 + 1

(ME^^^ NOTHING DONE....but raced STS because of the Neuspeed SS....see I'M honest )

As you can see from the RAW results, my best time was a 69.929 (we won't count the cone..hehe...it was actually the cone at the FINISH line... lucky I didn't get the timing light ). My first three runs were ALL CONSISTANT, which is actually a good thing IMO. And in stock form...I was STILL only a second off of Tai and Don.

I learned a TON today about the car, my abilities, and "pre-race prep". Yes....I walked the course at LEAST 6 times, and I was alone for 3 of them. I think the fact that I knew the course played a HUGE part in my performance, and to anybody looking to improve their "game".....my advice....WALK THE COURSE AS MANY TIMES AS YOU CAN. Learn the sections, hell...even hold your hands up like you're driving, and turning a steering wheel....I did, and it's VERY helpfull. (Got that one from good ole Ryan Baumgardner himself.....ALWAYS wins STS....in a 98 PRELUDE!!! )

All in all, I ended up shaving a good chunk of time off my runs, I was on COMPLETELY STOCK SUSPENSION, and did just as well as others in "full STS trim"...to conclude....THE 2004 EP3 IS A GREAT CAR ALL AROUND!!

(And in my own mind....I'm starting to have visions of top 10 finishes by the end of the summer.....Donnie was only .5 sec's away from #10...and I only 1.x sec's away from him )

BTW......FREE FUN RUNS FOR ALL...and we got finished around 3pm...so it was a GREAT DAY!!!
Old 07-19-2004
Autocross Junky

Due to today's results...I've come to the conclusion that my EP is just about perfect in STOCK FORM for STS. Read below for reasons and mods to come.

Mods to come in order:

1) Hotchkiss front sway bar (kinda no choice, I've already comitted to it, lol, BTW...when we gonna do that? )

You don't have to buy it from me.. and its on order, shoud be about a 1-2 weeks.
Old 07-19-2004

You don't have to buy it from me.. and its on order, shoud be about a 1-2 weeks.

Yes I do....I WANT IT!!!

What I meant by what I posted was that it prolly wouldn't have been FIRST on my list. lol That's all, no big deal!

I WANT IT!!!
Old 07-20-2004
Registered!!

....but raced STS because of the Neuspeed SS....see I'M honest

hey, im honest too. i was just wondering if they are tough on that sort of thing. i dont plan on "cheating"

Old 07-20-2004

hey, im honest too. i was just wondering if they are tough on that sort of thing. i dont plan on "cheating"

lol

I KNEW you'd read that....

Just takin' a stab at cha man...just to keep ya honest lol

It's all good bro.
Old 07-20-2004

I HAVE A GREAT AUTOX CAR!!! Check this out...

I got a few GREAT pics of my runs....thanks BlueRevs....(more pics to come)

but this one's my favorite....YES....IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET ON 3 WHEELS ON STOCK SUSPENSION!!!! :shock: (Further proof the 04 EP has been modified from previous years) All visually verified by BlueRevs himself...so it's NOT just an optical illusion.....GAWD I LOVE MY EP!!!

It's only like 2 inches off the ground.....but I'd say that's pretty damn good for STOCK!!! (Need more stiff stuff for further lift....yup...front/rear sway bars here I come!!! :wink: )

I honestly think with just sway bars, braces, and rims/tires, and a GOOD AutoX alignment.......I could have a GREAT STS prepped car..... :shock: ..... as far as suspension goes......FINALLY.....NICE JOB HONDA!!! :wink:

Last edited by FattyMcJ; 07-20-2004 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply: EP3 Set-up?