Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Cheap light rims.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Narc is an unknown quantity at this point
Cheap light rims.

I was thinking of gettin a set of smaller and light rims solely for the purpose of autocrossing. I know what tires I will get, but I am looking for some suggestions regarding where and what rims to get.

Right now, im running on heavy 17" Montegi rims with Dunlops sp901. Believe me I know its not the best set up.

A suggestion that was given to me was to use my stock rims (which have blizzaks on them) and put on sports tires for autocrossing and put the winter tires back on when the season is over. But the idea of using such a narrow rim turns me off. Im just wondering if there is a specific type/brand of rim that would be better suited for this sport.

Eddy.
Old 06-06-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
anything by rota, specifically the slips or the attacks.
kosei k1, k1 tsc
some konigs will work.
I would get 15 x 7 rims with some falken azenis.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

Narc is an unknown quantity at this point
ya ive already made my mind up on the Falkens. Its the rims im looking for. price wise, which is the best deal. Bare in mind, they dont have to be pretty.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
Enkei RS5 or Enkei RP02-J, the 15" are quite cheap...
Old 06-06-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
If this is for autocross, do you self a favor and Make sure you get a 15X7, not a 15X6.5.
Old 06-06-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Rota, Speedmaster, Team Dynamics Pro Race, Kosei, all cheap, all light.
Old 06-23-2004
Registered!!

EJ6autox is an unknown quantity at this point
ya, kosei and rotas.
Old 06-24-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Rotas for sure.
Old 07-04-2004
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
slipstreams don't come in a 15x7 do they? i've only seen 15x6.5
Old 07-04-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Rota makes the slips in 15X7 they are a bit hard to find but they are out there.
Old 07-06-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
www.machiii.net has them.
Old 07-06-2004
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
try racelitewheels.com

They Enkei RPF1 are light as hell
Old 07-13-2004
I drive a jeep to compensate for my tiny pee pee

Blue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enoughBlue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enough
what do you guys think of rota slips bronze 15x7 on a blue civic?
Old 07-13-2004
Autocross Junky

The 15X7 is what you want. and they weigh in at around 12 LBS too so thats nice.

If your worried how they look...... well were in to racing, Function is more important to looks. I'd run Pink wheels if they were light enough.
Old 07-13-2004
I drive a jeep to compensate for my tiny pee pee

Blue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enoughBlue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enough
well i am going to be running them at the track and as my normal wheels
Old 07-13-2004
Autocross Junky

they should look fine.
Old 07-13-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
they should look fine.

They'll look MORE than fine...Bronze on Blue....HOT!!! IMO
Old 07-13-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The 15X7 is what you want. and they weigh in at around 12 LBS too so thats nice.

If your worried how they look...... well were in to racing, Function is more important to looks. I'd run Pink wheels if they were light enough.

I will PAY for the spray paint if you paint your race wheels hot pink.
Old 07-13-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
I will PAY for the spray paint if you paint your race wheels hot pink.

Pick me up a set of Keizers and I will....
Old 08-09-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
I don't mind If they look a little bland then nobody will want to steal them. Are the rota's much lighter than stock?

You guys said its difficult to find 15 by 7 rota's. Is it also difficult to find tires to fit the rims?
Old 08-09-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by nindoo
Are the rota's much lighter than stock?
the stock steel wheels are 19LBS and measure 15X5.5... the silpstreams in 15X7 weigh in at 13LBS.... even the stock alloys are only 16LBS, and they are narrow too.

Originally Posted by nindoo
You guys said its difficult to find 15 by 7 rota's. Is it also difficult to find tires to fit the rims?
they can be hard to find some times, and you need to make sure your getting the 15X7s Vs the 15X6.5s but there are a few places that carry them.
and your stock tires would fit on a 15X7, I''d look funny, but they would fit. so, no. Tires for that wheel would not be hard to find.
Old 08-09-2004
Registered!!

JamesL is an unknown quantity at this point
a lot of people on here are suggesting 15x whatevers... i thought azenis only came in 205/XX/15s?

are you guys finding that the 205s work better than say, a 16" wheel with 215/45/16s?
Old 08-09-2004
Autocross Junky

The falken azenis, while listed as being a 205/50-15... actually measure out to 218 and they love to be mounted on a wide wheel... I've seen them mounted on a 15X8 before.... they looked like they were the width of a 235...

any way, for our cars, the azenis 205/50-15 mounted on a 15X7 is a Great setup.
Old 08-09-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
I forgot to ask could rota slipstreams be used for daily driving? Or are they strictly for race application?
Old 08-09-2004
Autocross Junky

They are a DOT approved street wheel.
Old 08-09-2004
Registered!!

The falken azenis, while listed as being a 205/50-15... actually measure out to 218 and they love to be mounted on a wide wheel... I've seen them mounted on a 15X8 before.... they looked like they were the width of a 235...

any way, for our cars, the azenis 205/50-15 mounted on a 15X7 is a Great setup.
i figured as much. i run 215 azenis, and they are just as wide as the 225 S03s i was running before.
Old 08-09-2004
Autocross Junky

How do you like them Vs the S03?
Old 08-09-2004
Registered!!

trance4mer is an unknown quantity at this point
im lookin into gettin sum new wheels too. but if i do get sum of those rotas, will they be ok for the street?? so it needs to look a bit decent.. how would 15's look on our car?? i was looking into the all black ones..
Old 08-09-2004
Autocross Junky

They would probably look a little like this...

Old 08-09-2004
Registered!!

How do you like them Vs the S03?
the S03s wear 5x as good as the azenis. the azenis seem to stick just a bit better. if i was choosing tires based entirely on a performance standpoint, i would go with the azenis. if i wasnt doing any racing and was looking for high performance street tires, i would go with the S03s.

Quick Reply: Cheap light rims.