Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

first race

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cryption should not be trusted
first race

Hey guys, I didn't know there was an Auto X forum now.

I did my first Auto X event not to long ago and it was a total blast! I was running in the STU class, but im not sure if there is another class that would be better suited for me?

It's something really sweet though, just don't like my Kumho Ecsta 711 tires, awful on the grip. I want some Azenis or something.

Anyway if any of you guys are in texas hit me up, maybe we can go out to the next event together.

If you guys wanna talk or somethin IM me at Ubergamerz! Later!

~ Ben
Old 05-14-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
STU?? what have you done to your car???
Old 05-14-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
You shouldn't be in STU. STU is for more powerful Street Touring cars. you should be in STS.
Old 05-14-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

yeah i was mis informed by the SCCA people, i talked to boilermaker via PM and such about STS
Old 05-14-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Sometimes they don't listen to you clearly because there are a million things going on the day of the race. You should be in STS though. I know my area isn't using STU yet.
Old 05-14-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

okie, yeah im gonna hit STS next time ... now i just really wanna work on getting a good suspension setup and good tires.

my only problem is tires that'll be good for track day and for the street since i can't afford 2 sets of rims. For the money i was looking at the Ecsta MX, but im not sure how their wear and wet weather traction is.

I need to research a little more.
Old 05-14-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I ran the Falken Azenis for a year, with combined autocross and street driving...... 8-15,000 miles. depending on how hard you are on them and how much Negitive camber you run. (The faster you are on track the faster you'll eat tires). also, Being a beginer, your going to probably be Hard on tires any way, being Overly agressive as most new drivers are. So, I'd find your self some decently sticky tires and learn with them. (anny of the "Performance" street tires will probably do) all the while, I'd be pinching my pennies to get a second set of wheels/tires.
Old 05-14-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

yeah, maybe I'll look towards the Ecsta MX since the price is a bit less than the Azenis and save for a set of race tires. I don't run negative camber at all, and I keep my front tires ~40psi and the rears ~33 when i race.

my biggest concern is the money thing, being able to afford tires etc, but I'm workin on it ... maybe when the time comes if I could holla at you guys and you can tell me if I'm pickin a good one
Old 05-14-2004
Autocross Junky

The MX wont last any longer then the Azenis.... In STS they are the two Top tires. and Compound wise they are Very simmilar (the MX deal with heat better, the Azenis has a stiffer side wall and slightly more Dry grip.
Old 05-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If your concern is water, the MXs deal with it fine... as for wear..... hehehehe, you'll be buying lots of them. I bet they last 10K doing double duty.
2 smart ideas (Niether of which I did)
1. Sell the stock wheels, get 1 set of 15s with super hard run of the mill 80K mile tires so you never have to buy road tires again, then get a 2nd set of 15s with super soft tires so your car sticks to the autocross course.
2. Don't race on 17" rims because 17" tires cost an arm and a leg. I just replaced my 215/45s because I autoXed the hell out of them. Dropped $478 last march for a set, just dropped another $446 today on replacements. In the mean time, I think the set of MXs ran about $390 installed, but hopefully they'll preserve the life of the other ones.
Old 05-15-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

yeah i want to sell my 17" and get some 16" since low pros are killer price