Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

battery relocating

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
battery relocating

does anyone have any experince with moving the battery to the trunk?? i am wondering because i want to know where would be the best place to put it, the passenger side or driver or in the middle?? also whats the best way to run the cables for our cars??? and how much do you think this will effect handling or corner weights??
Old 03-24-2004
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
my battery is in my trunk, not for handling, but because it wouldn't fit up front. I used a summit battery relocation kit (40 bucks or so). I have the battery on the passanger side because i'm enough weight on the driver side, so i figured i'd try to offset it a bit.

I ran the battery cable under the car. pretty easy to do. I can't tell you how it affected the handling because my car handles way different now.
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

ok thanks how did you secur the cable to the bottom of the car??
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
I am thinking of doing this also. Hawk do you have any pics of how you ran it under the car?

Thanx
Old 03-25-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
maybe this will help you guys
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/...51/battery.htm
Old 03-25-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by lberry
I am thinking of doing this also. Hawk do you have any pics of how you ran it under the car?

Thanx
i'll see if i can get a couple right now
Old 03-25-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

battery is alittle bigger than the stock one, the stock size was to small for the battery box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010007.jpg
Views:	1475
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	24955  
Old 03-25-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

the cable is help up by the round clip things in this picture, we got them from napa. The gromets and everything are included in the kit.

Name:	p1010008.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	24956  
Old 03-25-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

the cable is about 6 inches away from the fuel line, don't try to zip tie the cable to those..not a good idea

Name:	p1010009.jpg
Views:	1057
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	24957  
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the pics Hawk. This gives me a better idea of what to do if I go out side VS inside the car with the cable. Looks like you followed the fuel line most of the way. I am ordering the battery kit from Summitt Racing next paycheck.
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

do you have anypics of how you ran the cables under the hood. ie off of the fuse box, that wire that comes off the engine side (I don't know what this wire is maybee to the starter?) ect...
Old 03-25-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

i'll get a pic of where i ran it from the engine compartment, note to yourself my engine compartment is alittle different than yours..
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

yeah i realize you have a k20 but i am mainly wondering what to do with the other wire that goes to the positive battery cable.
Old 03-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
One more question... I'm going to get more interested with this if my ITR airbox works out... how long were the screws you used to fasten the wires to the bottom of the car? And why was it that the stock battery was too small... according to summit, any battery smaller than some given size fits, and I'm sure our small *** battery would be in that category.
Old 03-27-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

We used about 1" screws to hold the clips to the bottom of the car, nuthing has moved yet so i'm guessing its good

You have to remember that summit mainly sells stuff for domestics which have bigger batterys than imports (for the most part). The stock battery would fit if you stuffed some stuff around it, 2x4 peices maybe. I decided to just slap a bigger battery in there, fits nice and snug.
Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

any idea as to what to do with the wire coming off the engine????
my kit is coming wed so i need to find out the right way to wire it.
Old 03-28-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

i haven't had time to take pictures, sorry, but all i did was run it down the front of the fire wall, its pretty easy to see when you start doin it.
Old 03-28-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by CrazyCakes
any idea as to what to do with the wire coming off the engine????
my kit is coming wed so i need to find out the right way to wire it.
You can probably just splice the wire from the battery into the existing wire. Just cut off the battery terminal from the wire in the engine and either crimp it or solder it to the wire from the trunk. Just make sure its real solid and protected from the elements.
It looks like I'll be doing this too, and what I thought about was bolting a terminal to the fender or something, so I could still jump the car from under the hood. Just make sure you insulate it from the rest of the car or you'll have a short.
Old 03-28-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

ooo thats what you meant! yea i just cut the old positive battery cable, and spliced the new cable into it, we used a heavy gauge but connecter thing.
Old 03-29-2004
Registered!!

ok thanks guys. so a big *** but connector will work.
Old 03-29-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

soldering might be a good idea to, i clamped the hell out of the butt connector so it'd stay, but solder is a sure fire way of making sure it doesn't come loose
Old 03-29-2004
Registered!!

where can such a large but connector be obtaned?
Old 03-29-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

i beleave we obtained it from NAPA
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

ok guys i need one more thing ASAP where can i get the post terminal thing, it's the black peice with the post sticking out of it in the 4th picture down in the link on the first page. i hope this makes sense. i need to get one by this weekend any help would be great.
Old 04-03-2004
Registered!!

well i got it done last night. all i can say is not the most fun thing i've ever done. i would recomend to anyone doing this that you pick up a fused distribution block. you can get one at any car audio shop, it makes the job a lot easier and safer cause you have the fuses in case something happens.
Old 04-03-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Take some pictures... I'm doing it next weekend. I also wanna see what this block looks like and how much it was.
Old 04-03-2004
Registered!!

i don't have a digicam but i'll see if i can find someone who does. the distribution block has a hole for the battery cable in (4 gauge) and 2 for the charge wire and the fuse box, then there are fuses inbetween. the fuses i used are 80A two of them that way there is a seperate fuse going for the charge wire and for the fuse box. they run like $30-40 for a fused one. the non fused ones are like $15-25 but i fiqured why risk it. if you have any other questions just ask.
Old 04-12-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Alright... I got this done. I made my own tiedown for the stock battery. I couldn't get the Summit **** to fit (battery too small, couldn't get box to close with J hooks and the black things attached to the H bar, so I said screw it. The J hooks hold the box down, the tie down is bolted through the box floor. I may drill 2-4 more holes through the box floor and bolt it straight to the floor pan and do away with the J hooks completely. We'll see, and we'll see what the Tech Inspector will allow. I'm going to overdo it just to be sure my car passes tech, so plan on some more 5/16" bolts going through the floor.

Old 04-13-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Thats a pretty niffty idea for the hold-down, nice job

I still like my bigger battery solution....more power!
Old 04-13-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
^^ more power..... and More weight.....

I konw of a few STS autocrossers that are using Motorcycle batteries in thier cars... Bairly starts the engine, but its a whole lot lighter then stock.

Quick Reply: battery relocating