Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

New member from Cincinnati, OH area

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strkngfang is an unknown quantity at this point
New member from Cincinnati, OH area

Hi everyone, I'm Dan and am a long time Honda owner. I recently purchased a new 2018 Civic Sport and I absolutely love it. My wife drives a gray 2014 Civic EX as well.
Old 08-29-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New member from Cincinnati, OH area

Welcome to the forum! I have an identical car to yours and man, it's an absolute blast to drive.

You plan on filling the tank with 87 octane or going with the recommended 91?
Old 08-29-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!
Old 08-29-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strkngfang is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll primarily use regular grade fuel, with an occasional tank of premium. The Honda tech told me that all the dealerships use regular 87 and using premium will gain the extra 6 HP, but offers no other benefits. The ECU adjusts to whatever is in the tank. He only named the SI and Type R models as needing premium fuel. He said it is more important to use top tier gas found at national stations, than it is for a higher grade.
Old 08-29-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I did an experiment with my 2018 sport hatch with 87 vs 91 on the first road trip I took her on. Road grade was about the same, A/C off, cruise set at 83MPH, tank of 87 average fuel economy didn't go above 34mpg. With 91 octane in the tank, average fuel economy meter didn't fall below 36mpg (pretty much stayed in the 38-42MPG zone). I've been filling with nothing but 91 octane since. Just my experience with it.
Old 08-29-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strkngfang
I'll primarily use regular grade fuel, with an occasional tank of premium. The Honda tech told me that all the dealerships use regular 87 and using premium will gain the extra 6 HP, but offers no other benefits. The ECU adjusts to whatever is in the tank. He only named the SI and Type R models as needing premium fuel. He said it is more important to use top tier gas found at national stations, than it is for a higher grade.
I would tend to agree, as an average conservative driver. And as a tech.
But if I wanted to floor it a lot (because turbo) I would want high octane gas a lot more often LOL

Top Tier is important and beneficial, and I believe it's strongly recommended in your owners manual.
If you aren't familiar with it, have some links to the website:

https://www.toptiergas.com/why/

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

(this list changes frequently, and I'm sometimes surprised at some of the brands that show up)

TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Nine of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.