Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMichael is an unknown quantity at this point
AC Problem

It seems like my 2007 Honda Civic has a busted AC compressor. I took it to my mechanic when the AC was not cooling the car down and he charged it up. I have a short drive home so it worked for a while. Next morning - back to the same condition. Mechanic has it diagnosed as malfunctioning compressor. Price for getting a new one installed - $1100!!! Seems unusual that a compressor should go belly up after 5 years. Granted I do have 133,000 miles on it - but I don't think that's related. I saw another post where someone else's 2007 Honda Civic had AC problems.
Thoughts?
Old 07-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC Problem

Read all the other threads you found. Read any I have replied to.

I doubt it needs a compressor. Very uncommon here. Not impossible, but not common. The compressor is a mechanical device, it isn't going to magically heal itself for brief periods of time.

The electrical parts are the usual problems.
For intermittent problems, I've been replacing the relays more than anything else since spring here.

If it is compressor related: All the external parts are easily obtained and replaced, available separately from the compressor itself.

Someone would need to prove to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the compressor was truly bad before I'd believe it.

Truth hurts: Second opinions can be valuable. You may need to replace the mechanic.
You need a mechanic that can do more than fire the parts cannon (at your expense).
Handy pic of a parts cannon:

Snarky, I know.
HTH
Old 07-12-2012
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoAnything is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: AC Problem

Welcome aboard! Lots of great mod info and support here, enjoy the forum.