Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

Greetings from Suburban Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicSedanMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Greetings from Suburban Chicago

Hello All;

I've returned to the Honda Civic fold after a 15 plus year absence. I sold my 1981 Civic Sedan in 1989 after 100K miles of pleasurable driving, and this past weekend bought a 1995 Civic ES SE Sedan. Wonderful car.

I would be appreciative if somebody could point me in the right direction regarding ECUs. I'm not looking to play "Speed Racer" in my Civic, but I would like to optimize the engine performance, both in terms of gas mileage and acceleration. On my '81 Civic, I had the distributor recurved and the carb rejeted for improved driveability, and I'd like to do the same with my current ride. In a nutshell, what I would like to eliminate is the slow rampdown of RPM between shifts, and possibly a small advance in ignition timing for improved efficiency, assuming that ignition timing is retarded for NOx reduction. I understand that there would probably be a slight increase in NOx, but if the combustion process is more efficient, there would probably be a slight decrease in HC and CO due to a more efficient burn. I'm NOT looking to play with the variable valve timing. Being as the ECU programming works on a closed loop system, I'm not sure how easy optimization would be. Also, if what I am looking for is possible, I'd sure like to know the impact on emissions testing in Illinois.

For what little research I have done, I'm not sure if the current ECU is reprogrammable, or if I would be looking at an aftermarket ECU.

Thanks in advance,

CivicSedanMan, a 1958 model
Old 03-02-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to the site. I don't know anything about the 5th gen vic, so I can't help ya sorry.
Old 03-02-2005
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
howdy
Old 03-03-2005
Broken Road......

nitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to all
Welcome to 7th gen!!