Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Cop strobes (Whelen), how to install the bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Cop strobes (Whelen), how to install the bulbs?

I just got my Whelen strobe kit today, and I've done a couple little tests, and it seems like the bulbs are going to be hard to fit. I can only fit the bulb through the hole for the brake lights in the rear, every other opening is too small. Even on those openings, the bulb doesn't sit in tightly.

If anybody's done these before, how did you install your bulbs? Did you remove any of the lights permanently? Did you drill out part of the light to mount the bulb? I'd love to hear how you did it.

I have 6 tubes, and I want to do 2 in the tails somewhere, 2 in the headlights somewhere, and eventually 2 in the fogs.

Any help?

Teaser vid: http://www.2k4civic.com/video/strobes.avi
Old 09-12-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i saw a smaller kit on ebay a while back, the strobes looked like regular 194 bulbs not big at all. it looks like with what you got, you're gonna have to drill somewhere and let it stick out the back, then try to find something to seal the back. silicone works great for this because you can goop it up thick and it dries pretty hard and rigid but still pliable. so it will stay there but wont break off when you go over bump. i say silicone ftw.
Old 09-13-2006
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Why seal it at all? Why would any water get in there if I drill it from the inside where there should be no water? Just wondering...
Old 09-13-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well its more to hold it in place...you said it was loose. and i doubt you can make it stay put any easier way. im sure they are waterproof already.
Old 09-14-2006
Banned

How about the headlights? If I made an extra hole by the high beam bulb (I have an 04), I could put the strobe in there, but is that section completely sealed off from the low beam section? I've got HID's for lows and I wouldn't want them to get messed up if I killed the seal.

New video just testing them out in the tails... they were more or less just resting in there... although one moved a little bit and melted the side of the taillight where the bulb goes thru, not a huge deal tho.

http://www.2k4civic.com/video/strobes2.avi

http://www.2k4civic.com/video/strobes3.avi

Last edited by MegaHurtz; 09-14-2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-14-2006
Premium Member

the headlight is all one piece... so you drill a hole somewhere it will be open to the whole headlight. one of mine is fogging often and the hid is still working fine. i dont think its a big deal. and you can always seal it with silicone and it will be waterproof. just keep the hole as small as possible and seal all the spaces with thick coats of silicone. take the lights off the car obviously. only thing i dont know about is if they would get hot and discolor the fake chrome on the headlight reflector. this happened to my old projector lens where there was a nice burn from the signals. new ones are silver painted and no problems.

links dont work
Old 09-14-2006
Banned

Fixed the link, too many w's.

They say in the instructions to mount the bulb 1" away from anything, so I hopefully will be okay if I keep that in mind.

I was surprised at how hot they got though, I ran them for maybe 5 minutes last night and it managed to melt that little bit of plastic. Just have to be careful mounitng them I guess... but still it looks like this job is going to be harder than I thought. I've got all winter at least.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jay78 is on a distinguished road
steve i know where your headlights leaking from...........

air is getting in from holes that u drilled to hold the projector...
i had same problem i put more selicon and problem solved....

Last edited by jay78; 09-14-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2006
Premium Member

nope i already put silicon all over that spot before i put em on. and its only one side...i think its just a bad seal around the edges cause there wasnt much goo from the factory. its not a huge deal and only does it after rain and car wash.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

ya but in the winter u gone a problem cuz that moister not gone dry...if its really cold then it will turn into ice...

impulse sold his tyc valeo clear lens retrofit with ballast and bulb just for 300.00.........i was bit late otherwise i would a grab that...

Last edited by jay78; 09-14-2006 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-14-2006
Premium Member

well i doubt it would get foggy tho...its not humid in winter here. well see im lazy so i deal with it if something bad happens lol
Old 09-15-2006
Banned

ok lets talk about me again now
Old 09-15-2006
Registered!!

mega sorry for hijacking
Old 09-17-2006
Registered!!

SloW4Sh0wVic will become famous soon enoughSloW4Sh0wVic will become famous soon enough
are they the real whelen? how much and where?

these seem to be very expensive
Old 09-19-2006
Banned

Originally Posted by jay78
mega sorry for hijacking

Originally Posted by SloW4Sh0wVic
are they the real whelen? how much and where?

these seem to be very expensive
They are the real deal, I won them for $230 I think on eBay from buckeyepublicsafety.