Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

My 05 Civic Retrofit Finished ( 56K maybe, Lots of Pics )

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlpJLFan is an unknown quantity at this point
My 05 Civic Retrofit Finished ( 56K maybe, Lots of Pics )

Ok, so I wanted HID. I looked and looked for aftermarket projectors for the 05 but I couldnt find any. I also knew that if I bought projectors the light output was going to suck a$$. I have been a member on ClubRSX.com for sometime now because I thought I was going to get an RSX when it was time to get a car, instead I got a 05 civic but am addicted to clubrsx.com they are just so cool over there. Anyway, I been reading alot on retrofits being done by one of the other members ( RSX-CT ). After talking to him and getting to know him, I must say hes damn professional and answers every question and e-mail. Defintely would recommend him to anyone, his service was awesome and hes very honest and will not rip you off.
So.......
I ended up buying those projectors off of ebay and had them shipped to him so he could do my retrofit.
He used valeo projectors, I wanted TSX projectors but they were a little bit to big. The thing that I didnt like but had to deal with was the fact that every projector that I know of thats out for the 05 has halo rings, im not a big fan of halo rings. I think they look to ricey and are just not my style, when he recived the projectors I asked him to take out the halo ring. He tried but they were heat welded in there or something with a nail ( he told me but i forgot, its in one of my old e-mails ) anyway he drilled them out and I didnt really have many options to go with, so he was doing a different style halo ring thats much brighter and far better quality, CCFL angel eyes.
I could have painted the old ones but i thought that would look to tacky and if he didnt put anything in there, the housing would have holes where he drilled out the old halo ring. So i told him to go ahead and use that CCFL halo.
I get my retrofit sometime this week and will hopefully have them installed by sept. 6th, they are going on a SSM civic coupe with tinted windows @ 18%
heres the pics of his work.

^^ the cut off pic above is just preliminary

when i get the headlights ill take some new pics of the headlights and pics of the lights in the back. When i install them and aim them properly ill post up some more pics ( before and after )

Im a little nervous about how they are going to look once they are installed, I dont want them to look too ricey/ goofy
I hope everything turns out well.

Last edited by AlpJLFan; 08-29-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
make sure he gives you proper rotational adjustment. rsx-ct is an avid member of the hidplanet.com forums and is also well known there. i most certainly would not recommend one person over another, though, especially at hidplanet.com where so many members run retrofitting businesses.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

enlighten me on the rotational adjustment your talking about. Never heard of that term, ive heard of vertical and horizontal adjustments....
Old 08-29-2005

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
vertical = up/down
horizontal = left/right
rotational = counter-clockwise/clockwise

you will want rotational adjustment if your beam pattern is not perfectly flat on either headlight on the bottom (left most) part of the beam pattern/step. with rotational adjustment you can make a precise beam that will shine in the areas that you want it to shine.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

Hmmm, ill have to ask him about that.
If the projectors are already mounted, how can you rotate them?
I looked at my stock headlights yesterday and there were places to adjust up/down and left/right

so I guess ill just have to play around with my HID's to get it right...

Im confused on roational, if the projectors are already mounted, how can you rotate them?

Im just trying to figure out how im going to rotate them clockwise/ counterclockwise

Last edited by AlpJLFan; 08-29-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by infinite012
make sure he gives you proper rotational adjustment. rsx-ct is an avid member of the hidplanet.com forums and is also well known there. i most certainly would not recommend one person over another, though, especially at hidplanet.com where so many members run retrofitting businesses.
i thought all you had to do was follow the aiming procedure by parking your car 25 ft away from a wall and yadda yadda yadda....
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

bkidnon is an unknown quantity at this point
How big are those halo rings?
Old 08-29-2005

this is the ideal cutoff:

more often than not, aftermarket projector headlights will have unlevel mounting screws to make up for in-house errors in R&D of the projectors and the projectors' optics. thus, when you go to mount your new HID projectors into the aftermarket headlights, you may get something like this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rotate1.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	59150   Click image for larger version

Name:	rotate2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	59151  
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

oh ok, makes sense.
I will give you guys better pics once i aim them properly.
as of right now they seem to be alright, but ill tweak them once they are installed
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bkidnon
How big are those halo rings?
i believe they are 4" but it could be 3"
i dont have these lights in my possession yet, ill have them sometime this week and ill get down to the nitty gritty
Old 08-29-2005

Originally Posted by AlpJLFan
oh ok, makes sense.
I will give you guys better pics once i aim them properly.
as of right now they seem to be alright, but ill tweak them once they are installed
yeah. they look great from what i can tell and i'm not bashing on rsx-ct's work at all. he makes some very sexy retros for the crsx crowd (dual projector retrofit into a 05 rsx is sexy). i'm just saying that there is always the possibility that you will want to tweak your beam pattern later.

have fun with your new lights and i'm glad someone else did it correctly
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
How much did he charge you for labor? And how much did it cost fo the total project?
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

yeah. they look great from what i can tell and i'm not bashing on rsx-ct's work at all. he makes some very sexy retros for the crsx crowd (dual projector retrofit into a 05 rsx is sexy). i'm just saying that there is always the possibility that you will want to tweak your beam pattern later.

have fun with your new lights and i'm glad someone else did it correctly
Thanx, I cant wait till they get here so I can see his work first hand. That dual projector retro in the 05 rsx was indeed sexy. Thats my favorite.

BTW: Ive gotten a few private messages about price... All I can say is to contact RSX-CT ( tgs772002@yahoo.com ) sorry but I dont want to get prices going cause every retro is different
Old 08-29-2005

i'm going to guess that the labor charge was ~$200-300. That plus parts should land you in the $1000 range.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

^^ yep pretty much, i had to buy the headlights off of ebay too, also those CCFL angel eyes
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

TuRtLE714 will become famous soon enoughTuRtLE714 will become famous soon enough
good job on goin the retrofit route. I have my s2000 in my 02 OEM with a4 shrouds and im loving it.
Old 08-29-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
i gotta ask, why would you want to pay so much for headlights?
Old 08-29-2005

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
to look cool and have more light on the ground in front of you. you know...for those of us who drive at night
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

to look cool and have more light on the ground in front of you. you know...for those of us who drive at night

not only that, i think an HID retro really sets off your car and really makes you stand out from the crowd. HID's are just damn sexy, a couple people have already told me they thought i was nuts for paying so much for headlights, well im a tuner, my passion is cars and thats what makes me happy. I still manage to save money, but once you really get into the import scene and modding cars, theres just something about it thats addicting.

hell, now i will be the envy of every one in my neighborhood......
Old 08-29-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
could you not have achieved the same basic result with a nice quality HID kit? not trying to argue, just trying to see the logic
Old 08-29-2005

could you not have achieved the same basic result with a nice quality HID kit? not trying to argue, just trying to see the logic
nope. HID kits will never have the light dispersion nor the crisp cutoff of a projector retrofit or OEM projector headlight. never.

i understand why people are so shocked at how much people spend on their headlights, but it's the same shock factor when you realize how much money people spend trying to make their D17s faster by adding i/h/e (easily over $1000 if new)
Old 08-29-2005
The Rizing Sun

Akutenshi is on a distinguished road
heh not 2 jinx it or nething.. but one little smash into something will just send those $700 headlights down the gutter
Old 08-29-2005

Originally Posted by Akutenshi
heh not 2 jinx it or nething.. but one little smash into something will just send those $700 headlights down the gutter
it's possible to salvage most of the parts if you're in an accident.
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

it's possible to salvage most of the parts if you're in an accident.

Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

nope. HID kits will never have the light dispersion nor the crisp cutoff of a projector retrofit or OEM projector headlight. never.

i understand why people are so shocked at how much people spend on their headlights, but it's the same shock factor when you realize how much money people spend trying to make their D17s faster by adding i/h/e (easily over $1000 if new)

very true, people easily spend over $1,000 on performance parts. But if I ever buy a performance part it will just be an intake, i think its a waste of money to beef up a D17 motor. I will end up doing an engine swap in due time, i plan on throwing a K20 engine in there and boosting it. Lots of money i know, but this will not happen for at least 3 or 4 years
Old 08-30-2005

Originally Posted by AlpJLFan
very true, people easily spend over $1,000 on performance parts. But if I ever buy a performance part it will just be an intake, i think its a waste of money to beef up a D17 motor. I will end up doing an engine swap in due time, i plan on throwing a K20 engine in there and boosting it. Lots of money i know, but this will not happen for at least 3 or 4 years
damn. if i were back at home i would ask if you would want to meet up and compare retrofits.
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

where at? im near the centreville/ manassas area, next time your up here throw me PM
Old 08-30-2005

sure thing. i live in herndon.
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
yo let me in this hijunx. let me noe wat happens ill b up in this lil meet of yours even tho i dont have a retrofit done
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

bkidnon is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, how the heck do you aim these? I see only 1 screw and when I turn it ( clockwise/counter) only see the high beams move up and down.

Quick Reply: My 05 Civic Retrofit Finished ( 56K maybe, Lots of Pics )