Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

what are HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Profoxcg is an unknown quantity at this point
what are HIDs?

what is HID?? im so new to this stuff...

I want to get these lights for my civic from robearcacing "http://www.robearracing.com/pd_honda_01up_civic.cfm"
what else would I need to make them work? are those HID?

Thanks and sorry for the silly Q.
Old 12-27-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
oh wow...you gotta search bro ....Seriously!
Old 12-27-2004
Registered!!

so far I think they are those really bright white lights right?
Old 12-27-2004
Premium Member

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
those are just projectors....not lights. If your gonna get projectors do a retrofit. Those aren't HIDS.
Old 12-27-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
Originally Posted by Profoxcg
so far I think they are those really bright white lights right?
bahahahahahahahahaha

...::looks back at computer screen and reads it again::....

bahahahahahahahahaha

sorry guy, just search. lots of info you find on HIDs
Old 12-27-2004
Registered!!

now you just confused the hell out of me...

which are projectors, which are not?.. retorfit what? , help me out man
Old 12-27-2004
Premium Member

now you just confused the hell out of me...

which are projectors, which are not?.. retorfit what? , help me out man

that link you posted up aren't lights! there projectors....there not headlight bulbs. Go to the search function and look up retrofit.....it's been talked about alot...not just on here but on the Interweb....go search on google to....you'd be surprise what you may find
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
bulbs = replace your OEM bulbs or previous bulbs in your headlamps.
projectors = aftermarket headlamps. most likely bubble eyed headlamps that replace your entire headlamps.
hid = high intensity discharged? not sure if thats the term. but HID cost much more than a bulb but give the best lighting possible.
retrofit = i dont know how to explain but an example is: taking out the projectors from a bmw and fitting it onto your headlamps with custom work. very exspensive imo.

your better off asking opinions for what your looking for. HIDs? just bulbs? complete replacement of your factory headlamps? etc.
search up "hid" "projectors" "bulbs" and "headlights"
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
HID High Intensity Discharge

unless you live in a small town where people only drive pick up trucks you are bound to see (usually) expesnive high end cars that have a blinding very very white light. HID's are very distinct, take a look at some of the pics our members have of their HID's. I loaded HID's into my stock light housing they look FANTASTIC! PM Impulse (that means private message) he will get you set up!
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

Thanks Adam.

Thanks for the help guys.

where I am a little confused still is that:

a projector is just a glass that projects the light? and behing it you have a bulb?

and the HID seem to be some type of bulb right?

or no?

I feel so stupid...
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Thanks Adam.

Thanks for the help guys.

where I am a little confused still is that:

a projector is just a glass that projects the light? and behing it you have a bulb?

and the HID seem to be some type of bulb right?

or no?

I feel so stupid...
Projectors usually refer to the entire head light unit, theres a peice of glass that Projects this light. Usually they come with Halogen lights and most of the time offer a lower light output then our stock reflective housing. Yes HID's are a different type of bulbs, halogens are hte ones your used to, standard bulb. HID's involve a bulb (I think its charged with gas or something not 100% sure) and usually some sort of ballast or "ignitors" to turn on the bulbs.

The projectors you are looking at have cheap lenses not suitable for HID's, you will hear people talking about a "Retro fit" which inolves taking a lens from another high end car (G35 for example) and making them fit TYC projectors, the advantage to HID Projector's is they give you a sharp cut off line where as reflective dont.

Again Impulse is the resident master when it comes to this stuff, expect to pay between 300-400 for the HID's bulbs and ballast, about $200 for the projector and the lens can range around $200.

Frankly if your on a budget get some H4 Hid bulbs slap em in your stock housing. $300 and you can install it yourself!

hope this helps, try searching for "HID" and reading up on some of the threads here in the lighting section, theres a wealth of information that can be accessed by search
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

let me make it simple

example of a kit, mine were a bit different

Halogen vs HID

HID's loaded in 01-03 stock reflective housing

HID Projectors

all images are of their respective owners. Projectors are really the way to go just be prepared to fork out the money for em. Make sure you get TYC projectors too. With respect to color the images look different in real life since capturing light on film / digital film is difficult. Another thing you will see a lot is people talking about the Kalvin or "k" rating of their bulbs, between 4000-5000 is white and offers the most light output, after that 6000k is slightly purple less light, then 8000k is blue and less light.

I got 5000k in mine never been happier, best $400 mod for my car ever, and I will NEVER go back to halogen!
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

thanks, .. opps I just ordered some TYC projectors,, I hope I m not unhappy with the light output. or at least not to unhappy. - could I get better light out of them if I get a better bulb?
Old 12-28-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
www.hidplanet.com

read up sir.

edit: while the above website works on getting more bandwidth..

read here also:

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/headlight-menu1.htm

Last edited by gh0st; 12-28-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

I orderer those same projectors on the silver civic TYC, then I guess I can get some 4K bulbs to put behing the projectors while I save for some HIDS?
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

thanks 4 the links
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

I orderer those same projectors on the silver civic TYC, then I guess I can get some 4K bulbs to put behing the projectors while I save for some HIDS?
frankly, I think you shouldn't install those projectors til you get HID's for em. No light bulbs is going to give you extra light out put. either way its winter be better if you save up for a few months and let those things go once you done a proper retrofit for the summer. Unless you live in West Coast canada salt and all that other crap is horrible for your lights, not to mention aftermarket Projectors tend to fog up so MAKE SURE YOU SEAL YOUR PROJECTORS!
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

these are the ones I bought, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7942761163

I live in FLA (east)

I guess Ill keep them and work on them when I get the HIDs to put in them.

my last Q. promise, once the HIDs are installed in the projector (with a better lens or HID projectors period) , I just need regular bulbs for the other corner lights and large reflector on inside right?

those are my hi beams (reflectors)
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

middle light I beleive will be your projector where the HID's come out of, the light on the left is a high beam (more like a nothing beam compared to your hids) but you wont use that really unless you wanna flash someone to let them in or whatever. Yes all the other bulbs are halogen.

Amber reflectors are the law, a lot of people put clear ones.

dont worry about the questions, hah I think everyone checks this thread just because of the title.
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

thank you for your help.

so the high beam light, do they have any technical name? (like projectors)
Old 12-28-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
not that i know..just high beams...reflectors perhaps...like the oem headlights
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

ok cool thanks
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
i cant believe i read this off that projector headlight auction.. "As seen in the blockbuster The Fast And The Furious"

the item you won off eBay are called headlight projectors. which replace the entire headlamp assembly with simple bolts and nuts. im not sure if those came with bulbs. but you can buy another set of better bulbs or go HID which is more money than just bulbs. if you go the bulb route, what are you looking for specifically? like extreme white color? better output?... just keep in mind what benefit bulbs will give you, HID's will make those benefits 10x better
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

"As seen in the blockbuster The Fast And The Furious" - yeah I know, I was trying to figure that one out too

Thanks for the help.

I want a bright white light.... can you recomment something? in the future i will def. get HIDs
Old 12-29-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by D17thgen
i cant believe i read this off that projector headlight auction.. "As seen in the blockbuster The Fast And The Furious"

the item you won off eBay are called headlight projectors. which replace the entire headlamp assembly with simple bolts and nuts. im not sure if those came with bulbs. but you can buy another set of better bulbs or go HID which is more money than just bulbs. if you go the bulb route, what are you looking for specifically? like extreme white color? better output?... just keep in mind what benefit bulbs will give you, HID's will make those benefits 10x better
first thing I thought hahaha, a lot of ebay auctions are like that, probably relying on old street racer marketing surveys :P
Old 12-31-2004
Got the broccoli in my back pocket

2k3kansasEX is an unknown quantity at this point
YA those do come withbulbs
Old 12-31-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
E46 ('99-'01 BMW 3 Series) single xenon projector

TYC single halogen projector (what is included with the TYCs you just purchased)

see the difference in clarity?

expect to see jack **** at night time with the tyc projectors unless you exclusively use your high beams.
Old 12-31-2004
Registered!!

Talking

"expect to see jack **** at night time with the tyc projectors unless you exclusively use your high beams."

Well, I have decided not to get the TYC projectors but instead get the JDM light with the black back ground. I have installed some "Xenon Hyper white blue" H4 bulbs in my stock lights in the meantime and I will get HIDs in the future and install them into the JDM lights (no projectors)
Old 12-31-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
ok, but they're not really jdm. jdm headlights for 01-03 year sedan civic is the same thing we have in the states, just doesn't have the white reflector piece in the corner of the headlight.

but...whatever floats your boat.
Old 12-31-2004
Registered!!

"but...whatever floats your boat." ... always ! you know the ones I want

Quick Reply: what are HIDs?