Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

***The Ultimate HID Thread*** [FAQ/Information]

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Exclamation ***The Ultimate HID Thread*** [FAQ/Information]

Introduction:

HID (High Intensity Discharge Lighting):
Unlike halogen incandescent lamps, the HID lamp does not have a filament. Instead, it creates light from an electrical discharge between two electrodes in a micro-environment of Xenon gas, mercury, and metal halide salts that are hermetically sealed in a tiny quartz capsule. The arc tube is encased in a glass jacket to filter ultraviolet rays that could damage plastic parts. The light is emitted by an electrically energized gas formed and sustained between two electrodes. This is achieved with and electronic ballast that controls the arc ignition process.

Increased Light Output:
At least 70% more light at a lower wattage than traditional lamps. Higher Efficiency System than halogen alternatives. 91 lumens per watt (D2S) compared to 18 lumens per watt for a comparable halogen light source.

Power Wattage:
Less poser draw for the same light. HID produces 3200 lumens (D2S) from 35 watts (nominal), commander to 1000 lumens for a comparable 55w 9006 halogen light source.

So... The whole reason for an HID Conversion

So... Why do you want HIDs? You want to see at night? Want your headlights to have color like a BMW/Audi/Mercedes? Want to get noticed? Well.... DO YA?

Well... HIDs will definitely outperform any halogen headlights. I personally will NEVER drive a car that doesn’t have HIDs (That’s how good they are).

You want color like a BMW/Audi/Mercedes? Want to get noticed? Well, First they have OEM HIDs. Believe it or not there bulbs are 4300k (white) not 9000k or 5000k or 10000k or w/e the # might be. There projectors put out a pure white or a yellowish-white color BUT from a distance they give that pretty blue/purple flicker?!? This is all because of there "Projector". The way to bulbs light is reflected within the projector is what gives off the pretty blue/purple light from a distance.

The only way to get this is to use projectors made by Hella, Valeo or Bosche (from what i remember). * More information about this is below *

Information on Aftermarket Kits:

First... Ever notice that every outcome pic is the same on every auction? You know something is wrong just from that (If you didn’t notice). Not to mention most of the images they use are "Photo-Chopped" (Trust me... I can tell, I' am good at adobe, ask the photo people).

Aftermarket kits are now illegal in the United States... Because of this high quality kits are very hard to find/in high demand. These kits are now costing more and are very hard to find. If a bulb burns out, You will need a lot of luck finding a decent replacement HID bulb. The whole selling point of aftermarket kits are to get the color to match OEM by altering the capsule or the salts inside the capsule... Anything higher then 4300k will be LESS bright then OEM. 6000k is pushing it... But to get desired color and decent visibility results this is the only color temp (k) worth getting (6000k regarding ONLY Philips Ultinon Bulbs NOT aftermarket 6000k aftermarket bulbs)

Sellers on ebay:
A lot of sellers always mention how there bulbs are the best... This is simply because they want to get rid of it. There are tons of aftermarket kits on ebay but all of them are 110% CHEAP & waste of money.

Here is an example... XD7 8500K Conversion Kit
Our 8500K HID kits are much brighter, whiter and prettier than any other HID bulbs you've ever seen. This is the best HID you will ever own!!
8500k Conversion kit... Well, you will definitely have color with this kit! BUT, Hardly any visibility. Yes, they will look "Prettier"... 8500k is seen to be purplish... Not white.

I learned the best way to Lie is to mix a little bit of the truth...
Clear Bulb that emits only true colors (Beware of cheap painted bulbs with false color)
This is a quote from an ebay seller trying to sell a "12,000K Xenon HID Conversion Kit".
Clear bulbs such as OEM will give off a yellowish white or whiteish/10% blue (very little amount), these are 4300k bulbs. Bulbs that that have a higher temp rating have a color tint on the bulb. Think about it... How can a clear bulb give you blue, purple? 12000k would be PURE purple.

Misc:
HIDs will NOT melt the headlight/projector housing
Hella does not make bulbs...
Kits aren’t exactly Plug-In Play (depending on bulb size)
"We recommend professional installation" Oh, I thought it was easy though?

Beware of cheaper product that might seem like a great deal, but are low quality knockoffs with numerous problems.
~ These quotes are all over aftermarket kits... Hmmm

OEM HIDs BMW/Audi/Mercedes :

Well... You want real HIDs/Performance? Only way is called retro-fitting. This is really the only way to get what people really want. Retrofitting is basically taking projectors such as Hella, Valeo, Bosche, and putting them into your cars headlights. This is not an easy thing... And is not a "cheap" mod. Projectors range from $200-$400 *_* don’t forget you need bulbs, ballasts, wiring and tools as well! You get the idea...

(Info will be updated continuously)

For More info please visit
http://hidforum.com
http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/headlamp-faq.htm

Last edited by ImPulse; 12-09-2003 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-09-2003
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
My OEM Retrofit: Projectors are both way to low (meaning not adjusted properly... will be fixed soon, damn snow =\)

Hella Bi-Xenons:

s2000 Projectors: In an s14

Attachment: Valeo Projector Beam pattern (Same as mine If i ever get a chance to adjust my projectors :x)

I will update pics soon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	valeo.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	15603  
Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

mndthegap1 has a spectacular aura aboutmndthegap1 has a spectacular aura about
NICE post
very informative
good job
Old 12-09-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i think they said our cut off will change if we flip the cutoff plate the other way?
Old 12-09-2003
Banned

yea, but im not tryin anythin LOL u do it
Old 12-10-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i just might

i should have the pics for ya tuesday night, i am sealing the lights and stuff tuesdaya t school
Old 12-10-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I'm getting another set of the same lights so i can mold the insides to look more unique and I'm painting it NBP. I'll post when I get em done. (Don't doubt me Impulse lol) Maybe I'll point that passenger projector up a little too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-3.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	15772  
Old 12-27-2003
Banned

Why isnt this a sticky anymore?
Old 01-20-2004
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
Heres a link for a converted set of civic lights on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2454799279
Old 01-20-2004
Registered!!

Civicly02 will become famous soon enoughCivicly02 will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by RiceBuRNeR
Heres a link for a converted set of civic lights on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2454799279
What else do I need in addition to these headlights?

You need a pair of HID ballasts, xenon bulbs and a wire harness. These can be purchased for an additional $265

Damn that is like 600 dollars in total for some lights that I don't use all the time. It is quite alright
Old 01-20-2004
Banned

imo thats mad ugly, Haha

he wrote in the description what else you need
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

irawhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Was installed on my sedan ES1 few month back. Kit made by Hella German, burner by Osram c/w harness & connector. Color temp of 4300 K, really white.! Need to put shield avoid glare to oncoming traffic.! (6th gen stock shield do.) Will post few pixs soon. You will found difficult to mount the ballast..! The rest step so easy.
Next project to convert my stock headlamp to audi projector! Phillips burner 600K could be better..!
Old 05-17-2004
Registered!!

Ershall is an unknown quantity at this point
:subscribed:
Old 05-21-2004
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ershall
:subscribed:
Old 05-25-2004
Registered!!

civicdude04 is an unknown quantity at this point
i ordered the $125 projectors off of ebay for my 2002 civic ex. can i use hids with these projectors?
Old 05-25-2004
The Beez Kneez

rofl @ civicdude??????????
Old 05-26-2004
Banned

Originally Posted by civicdude04
i ordered the $125 projectors off of ebay for my 2002 civic ex. can i use hids with these projectors?
Did you even read any of the text above?
Old 05-26-2004
The Beez Kneez

Originally Posted by ImPulse
Did you even read any of the text above?
does civicdude know that someone is useing the same name as him????
Old 05-26-2004
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Wow. I'm outta this post. People here dont read stuff, but they sure fire off quick responses.
Old 08-02-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
bump.

so if i want to retro my tycs, i'll need oem projectors, ballasts and bulbs right?

will audi a6 projectors fit into tyc? how hard is wiring the tycs + the hid ballasts?
Old 08-02-2004
Banned

a6 is too big, IMO

get a4, wiring isnt that hard, ill explain it to u if u need help. Just get all oem parts
Old 08-03-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
will e46 projectors fit in tyc? should i just wait till i find some a4 projectors + ballasts?
Old 08-03-2004
Banned

wait till u find a4 projectors and ballasts... IMO you want single beam projectors, not Bi-Xenons. Plus, I really dont care for the e46 because they dont have enough color >=] unless u want to bend the sheild (but if u mess up, u messed up big)
Old 08-03-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

i found some a4 headlights with the projectors in them... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

should i just wait till i find some that are already out of the headlight. i'm in no rush...just trying to gather all the materials before i try and start.
Old 08-04-2004
Banned

bid on an auction like this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36476

dont get the whole headlight because they will want more $ and it will be a waste because all u need is the projector.

then u will need these exact parts,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36476

thats all u need (well, and an adapter but, u can make one, ill let u know how)
Old 08-04-2004
Registered!!

LuZi0n is an unknown quantity at this point
but you need a projector headlight to begin with that already fits the 7thgen, like the tyc right?
Old 08-04-2004
Banned

dont need too.. just makes everything easier Taking out projector... Replacing it with a different projector.

Rather than... Creating something for something new
Old 08-05-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

for the tyc's, did you just replace the lenses? or take out the lenses and fit the whole oem projector in the tyc housing?
Old 08-05-2004
Banned

take everything out, put everything new in
Old 08-05-2004
Registered!!

doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
i have h4 hids alreasy installed in oem housings, am i gonna be able to find any aftermarlet projectors that take h4 bulbs? or is staying with stock housings my only option besides retrofit?

Quick Reply: ***The Ultimate HID Thread*** [FAQ/Information]