Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

DIY: blue glow needles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlienX will become famous soon enough
so in theory, if you replace the needle bulbs with LEDs and the rest with blue bulbs it should come out sufficient. While also replacing the AC bulbs with LEDs since there are light guides.
I think it would still be a good idea to cut down the LED and sand it so that it can disperce light more.

I will try looking for some kind of lense can accomplish this.
Old 01-07-2004
Registered!!

BINGO !!!!!!!

Click Here

Look at the SQB 400

By what I have read, this should increase almost all LEDs even narrow angle to a maximum of 180 degree... 180 degrees is not even required since only about 100 degree will do. This is extremly good since a blue 5mm LED has about a viewing angle of 30 degrees.

Installing a blue lense will also give some contrast so that we are not blinded by the angel and intensity of a blue LED, which are VERY bright !

Last edited by AlienX; 01-07-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Nice find!! The way mine is, there are LEDs under the needles and blue bulbs for the backlight on the gauges. The bulbs actually shine a white/blue/purple color, instead of pure blue like the LEDs. It looks better with some color contrast.

If the bulbs ever fade, I'll have to get some LEDs with those covers above. Only thing is you need at least 2 LEDs for each hole (there are five bulb holes for backlight. So it will be expensive. Otherwise the backlight won't be bright enough. It's already a little dim with the bulbs.

I wonder how the covers will affect light output on the LEDs.
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

I have also looked at the other products that this company has.
They have such lenses that will amplify the bulb brightness by about 114% or something like that + give it about 180 degree visibility.
That sounds more of what we are looking for.
Old 01-08-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The only problem that remains to be solved is the uneven gauge number lighting. I think the only way would be to add more bulbs behind the darker areas. Only problem would be mounting them cause there are no holes in the back. That and running wires.

I guess if someone wanted to do this, you could get EL indiglo sheets and put them behind the gauges. That way you'll have stock gauges where the numbers will light up an indiglo color. And the brightness will be consistent.
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

that is also a good idea

As see no problem with the low number of bulbs, as the LEDs are super bright + the lense will disperse the light evenly.
Adding more LEDs would just increase the brightness.
Old 01-10-2004
Premium Member

That's all everyone. I updated the first page with the final pics on the power window switch. All the info you need should be there, or in the other posts.
Old 01-10-2004
Registered!!

twizzx is an unknown quantity at this point
You got too much time on your hands, but that's one kick *** DIY!
Old 01-10-2004
Premium Member

Lol, thanks. It's back to school soon, so I won't have much free time anymore. I just could not get the moonroof, mirror, etc. area to work.
Old 01-14-2004
THE CHOSEN ONE

2k1HXVTEC should not be trusted2k1HXVTEC should not be trusted2k1HXVTEC should not be trusted
uh oh 2k1hxvtec figured out the EASY WAY!

well, after reading this post i gathered that nobody had actually tried the LED bulbs from autolumination so i ordered four of them and began putting them in. took me all of five minutes too. just remove the cluster, remove the air *****. remove the red backings. pop out the bulb holders and take out the bulbs. cut the tail off the base of he LEDs and put them in by pressing them against the steering wheel (they are pretty snug but perfect fit). then screw the bases back in and put the cluster back together. i only did the ***** so far becuse i wasnt sure if it would work.

ill take pics tonight so you can see. looks bright even in the afternoon though.
Old 01-14-2004
Registered!!

Super !!! I need to see this..
Old 01-14-2004
Premium Member

Yeah, let's see some pics tonight! I have a feeling the LED bulbs will work for the *****, but not the cluster backlight. Remember that the gauge faces have a color filter painted on the back that you have to wipe off with acetone. I bet the control ***** came out really nice.

My ***** are actually a little dimmer than everything else. I used 2 LED bulbs for each of the two holes. I think it happens because they use light guides to channel the light all around.

I'm making one more update tonight.
Old 01-14-2004
Premium Member

Just added another DIY for the shifter lights for auto only and made overall revisions to first post.
Old 01-14-2004
THE CHOSEN ONE

2k1HXVTEC should not be trusted2k1HXVTEC should not be trusted2k1HXVTEC should not be trusted
pic

fuzzy but you can see the brightness
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	18306  
Old 01-14-2004
Premium Member

Do you have any better pics? I spent all that time when I could have just bought the LED bulbs. Looks like it turned out good!
Old 01-15-2004
THE CHOSEN ONE

it does look really good and really bright too. i dont have anymore pics. i will see if i can take some more on friday when i get to leave post again (im at a military school so i can generally only use my car on the weekends and monday and tuesday).

about modifying the bulbs, i figured this out with a little trial and error so i ended up breaking 2 of the four. the first time i tried to pull off the entire base and EVERYTHING broke off the LED . the second time i tried just the tail and it worked (by bending it back and forth). The third time i tried it again but bent it too far and broke one of the leads. The fourth time i was very careful and it worked again. This is why i only have two working and i have wasted 5.00. Once i get some replacements i will continue with the buttons and maybe the needles too. I just ordered three more today.

EDIT: if anybody wants this done i will do it for you for $20 + parts and shipping

Last edited by 2k1HXVTEC; 01-15-2004 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2004
Premium Member

I don't think I would do this again for any amount of money. But with the LEd bulbs it would probably be easier. Anyone else have pics of their dash lights?
Old 01-17-2004
Premium Member

Okay everyone--this DIY is officially over. Everything has been done and updated. Have fun!!

-->moonroof, mirror, and cruise area has been added.
Old 01-18-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
you will never be done...

How bout some LEDs in the AC Vents (white)?

Know what i really want to do?

http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrid...cat=500&page=1

But... To have it come on when the turn signal/signal is on... That would be kinda cool/unique
Old 01-18-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
of course i dont want blue... I would use amber...
Old 01-20-2004
Premium Member

It would be cool to wire them to the dome light. So they come on when you unlock the doors and go off once you start the car.

I'm also thinking about doing a glove box light like my old Jetta used to have, but I don't have the time right now.
Old 01-20-2004
Registered!!

i did a glove box led install... if someone wants a DYI I can make one
Old 01-20-2004
Registered!!

i did a glove box led install... if someone wants a DYI I can make one
Old 01-20-2004
Registered!!

c-money is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, i read all 10 pages of this, i am little overwhelmed.

i heard they make a LED that plugs straight into the stock hole for the gauge back lights, no soldering at all. is this what you are talking about?? its not the colored bulb, its actually an LED,

i already had cleared all of my gauges and dash lights back before this DIY was posted, i just havent had time to fiddel with doing m blue bulbs yet.

thanx, and holy shiet that sucks about all the problems with the lights.
i actually burned a gauge cluster, fried the motherboard on it istalling a stereo, that is why i cleaered the the gauges, i had an extra gauge face so i was like WTH lets do it. haha
Old 01-20-2004
Registered!!

thats right, there are bulbs from autolumination.com that are blue LEDs. Apperently they are a perfect fit
Old 01-20-2004
Registered!!

shweeet!! i am definately doing those. haha i dont care if they are dim or bright as long as they are blue, i can either squint or wear sun glasses if i need to. hahaha.

i just want blue gauges. i think i am gonna leave the needle for awhile though.
Old 01-20-2004
Registered!!

hehe sounds good.. i'm gonna try this too... maybe once it gets a little warmer here in Canada... until then Good Luck to you !
Old 01-20-2004
Registered!!

oh i just had a thought.

would a hyper white LED Bulb with those blue LED Lenses make it blue, or would it be better to get a blue LED Bulb with the white LED Lenses, or get both LED bulb and lense in Blue????

edit:

what are the part #'s for the LED bulb direct replacements, and for the LED lenses??

Last edited by c-money; 01-20-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2004
Premium Member

First off, LED light can't be filtered very well. You're better off getting the actual color LED that you want.

Secondly, LEds do not spread the light over a big area. This is why it's better to use colored bulbs for the gauge backlight. Also, one LED is much dimmer than one bulb.
Old 01-20-2004
Premium Member

And even with the bulbs, there will still be brighter areas on the gauge lights. Don't know a way around this for now.

You should try the LEDs and let us know if they work. Just go to autolumination.com and browse for the LEDs. They're all pretty much the same size I think. They also have different versions like clear lens, opaque lens, etc. Get the one that disperses the light.

Last edited by gearbox; 01-20-2004 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: blue glow needles!