SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

04 DX to 04 EX swap help required?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glamabilly is an unknown quantity at this point
04 DX to 04 EX swap help required?

This may have been answerd before, but I can't find it searching the forum. Anyway I had a d17a1 in my Canadian 04 dx. Blew the head gasket (a common problem) I found a D17a from Japan for $500.00, witch is in every regard a D17a2 here. I have the ecu from a Canadian 04 Acura 1.7 el (civic ex) for almost nothing. The swap went great, still using the old DX ecu, engine is good no codes. Every connector pluged in except for one green wire from the vtec selonoide. I have no mating connector (expected).
Both ecu's were from an 04 and it is my understanding all 04's use a wide band O2 sensor.
Also the Canadian cars don't use a EGR valve, it looks like they have one, but it is not hooked up to anything.
My question, is it as easy as running a wire to the green vtec selonoide?
It was only two wires I had to run when I did this to my 95 civic. One to the selonoide, and one plus a chassie ground, and to an oil pressure switch. I don't want to buy a seperate controller, and before the answer comes back, get an other wiring harness, I wire jet engines for a living, so modifying a civic harnes will not be a problem, and I know about getting the keys recoded after it is done. I am just not to keen on tracing out every wire on the harness verifying its location with out a full wiring diagram for the car witch I can not find.
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 DX to 04 EX swap help required?

My question, is it as easy as running a wire to the green vtec selonoide?
Probably? One wire for the solenoid, and isn't there two for the VTEC pressure switch....?
Old 09-06-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Probably? One wire for the solenoid, and isn't there two for the VTEC pressure switch....?
That's what I was thinking, but I dont see an other plug around the solenoid. I'll take a better look tomorrow, I saw a oil pressure switch in a photo once on the back of the block, I don't know if it got pluged in though, or even if this engine has it.
Old 09-06-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a oil pressure switch in a photo once on the back of the block,
The switch on the back of the block is for lubrication oil pressure, to the rods and mains and all that.. It operates the red oil warning light on the dash.

but I dont see an other plug around the solenoid.
Did you use your original engine wiring harness, an EX harness, or the JDM harness?

The JDM engine may not have an oil pressure switch on the VTEC unit?

You can see the plug (bolt) in the side where the switch would go.

A US spec and Canadian spec VTEC have an oil pressure switch used as feedback to the PCM to tell it that "yes, it did actuate the VTEC system hydraulically when you turned the solenoid on". The new computer will be looking for that input whenever it activates the solenoid.

Old 09-06-2014
Registered!!

My engine didn't come with a oil pressure switch, so I have to get one someplace. Ran the two wires today one to the solenoid, and one to where the switch will be at one point. Found the wiring diagram, only problem no dealer has a switch in stock. wonder if I can use an other switch from anything else, its just a normally open switch anyway. I could use a relay wired into the solenoid to give me my ground when the solenoid energizes
Old 09-06-2014

A relay might do the trick...... I've actually thought about that before but never considered trying it.

Dealers here can get parts overnight in most cases if needed.