Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Oil Weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Oil Weight

So when I put my car back together I am debating what weight of oil to run.......I run 5w-30 Castrol Synthetic as of now......I have heard of people running 10w-30....

Just taking numbers & advise on what every runs on there turbo engines......
I was thinkin of switching to 10w-30?
Old 04-08-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil Weight

just stick with 5w30 as everyone tells me.
Old 05-11-2008
There is gl@ss in my @SS...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute

run 5w30 and always synthetic oil. I run Royal Purple 5w-30. Use a Mobile1 or K&N oil filter as well.
Old 05-11-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

^^ you're still running around on here??? i thought you got rid of the civic?
Old 05-11-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah if you like throwing away money and changing the oil every 2k miles, royal purple is great lol. its track oil, not for daily drivers. stick with mobil1 if you have to use synthetic, but there are plenty of motors with 200k+ miles and all they used was conventional stuff. na and turbo cars alike. throw some LC20 in with the dino oil and it becomes better than synthetic, lab proven to last 10k miles.
Old 09-19-2009
Registered!!

hondasmurf85 is an unknown quantity at this point

we're running Royal purple 10w30 in fiance's civic si , its got a greddy turbo. thats about all is know about it. previouse owners had it put in. shop we took it to said that we should be possibly putting a 20w in it? but i herd that would be to harsh on it.... so now i'm confused..... can you guys help me out? i need to learn all i can about keeping up the care on this aftermarket B.S. since i'm the one who really takes care of the car anyways.
~Rach
Old 09-19-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thats fine to use royal purple cause i bet he changes the oil every 2k miles anyway to protect the turbo. 10w30 is way too thick for any civic however. most civics and even accords use 5w30 (newer civics use 5w20 altho i dont recommend that thin of an oil). with a 10w thicker oil, you could be doing serious engine damage come winter when the oil is too viscous to flow on a cold start. the only cases ive heard of where people use such a hi weight is if you have lots of oil leaks and you want a thicker oil to try and stop them which is a stupid way but buys some time before you need to repair them.