Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

umm dont know what happened

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicjunkie6207 is an unknown quantity at this point
umm dont know what happened

Ok so I just dropped my car with new shocks and struts was well as springs. The install went well. After the install I started hearing this nasty clunk at of one side of the rear then after a few miles it was both sides. It sounds like the strut shaft is wobbling around even when I hit lil bumps. Any suggestions on what it is. Also it doest seem as though the shaft stays still to absorb a bump to me az if the shaft just moves thru the eyelet in the mount what is below th main nut to keep the shaft from just moving in eyelet. Any help is great thanks
Old 03-23-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: umm dont know what happened

By any chance did you remove the brake caliper?

A week ago, when I went in to fix my pads, i forgot to tighten one of the calipers, and it was making this horrible vibration noise over certain pavements, thought it was loose lugnuts.
Tightened the caliper and noise went away.

You might have loose lugnuts too, just a possibility, try to rule them out first.
Also, make sure your struts are properly bolted down, every bolt in your suspension is tight.
Old 03-23-2011
Registered!!

Nope I don't have rear calipers I did check everything tho it looks up to par just the shaft I wiggling in the mount some how
Old 03-23-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

It's coming from the rear?
I don't have rear calipers as well.

I'm pretty positive something's loose, but I don't know unless you take it apart again
Old 03-23-2011
Registered!!

ive asked this question before and couldnt get an answer so maybe while i have a new crowd ill ask again. is there a site where i can get after market upper mounts for my car. also i found a pair of gc's that look like they would work the have the shaft guide and the two mount bolts, only thing is that the year of manufacture ends in 2000 but ie 1988 to 2000. but did much change in the rear i dont know please help im a noob as well if you havent guessed so lil words please lol jk
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

do the 01 rsx mounts work
Old 03-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You have a loose bolt or something isn't seated properly in the suspension, thats the only thing that could cause the rattle.

I'm confused, why are you looking for after-market strut mounts?

and there is no 2001 rsx.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-24-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

I will check over all the equipment again.I was only looking for aftermarket cuz I thought it was the mounts gone bad. And the rsx thing I was reading another forum and they were talking about an 01 integra and I thought they stopped making actual integras in like 97 and started calling em rsx's mybad thanks for the look out though.
Old 03-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^word.

New upper mounts wont do you much good. I'm pretty sure the strut bolts that bolt it to the body of the car are loose.
Old 03-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

You can fill em with polyuro
Old 03-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

OEM mounts are cheap, less than $20 each if memory serves, stick with those instead of going aftermarket

It could be that the spring wasn't seated properly when you reinstalled, that could cause a rattle. Sometimes if a nut isn't torqued enough it will slowly work itself loose and start rattling.. hard to say whats going on man, but i'd say its definitely an installation error.
Old 03-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

I was gonna say spring seating too, but wasn't sure
Since i'm not a suspension guru, I was doubting it'd be that simple

It sounds a lot like a loose bolt though, just go through everything, take it apart and put it back together again.
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I'd have to agree with these guys. Although something could be bad in the mount. When you have it apart look at the mounts, specifically #'s 1, 2, 8, and 10: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Cool will do. I went out about an hour ago to get my homework and noticed the driver side bushing is way off its perch and the shaft end was moving and hitting that lil metal flap there. Is that the issue?(dumb question) still what keeps the shaft from pushing up thru the top I just can't wrap my noggin around it lol
Old 03-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by civicjunkie6207
still what keeps the shaft from pushing up thru the top I just can't wrap my noggin around it lol
What are you talking about again? haha
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Ok yeah its jacked. Also the collar piece in the diagram I didn't have that initially all I had was the nut the washer and the bushing. When I got my new set I had the collar could find anything on where it went,so I asked a buddy and he said (in this order) nut,collar,washer,bushing. Is that right
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I think I know what he's saying.

To the OP: If you can actually see the shaft moving around then check the seating and inspect the top mount.

*DO NOT drive it anymore until you resolve this problem. The shaft isn't supposed to move and you may have already caused enough damage to require further repairs.
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

...nut,collar,washer,bushing. Is that right
Follow the order in the diagram at the link I gave.
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

In theory as the shock shaft goes through the mount to the top there would be something in possition to stop it from pusing up and down through the mount ie keep it still spit will actually absorb shock right. It may be me but it doesn't seem to do that, as I hit a bump it seem the shaft has no resistance on it essentially letting it push tthrough the mount like taking a pen and moving it up and down through a washer or something, instead of the pen being attached in some to the washer it has play. Does that make any sense lol

Last edited by civicjunkie6207; 03-24-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

The nut holds the shaft in position but, if something else is reamed out it won't hold the nut, thus you have the shaft moving around.
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Ok cool. Im going to take it all apart tomorrow and check. You guys rock though thanks anything else you can think of will help too. Thank
Old 03-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by lazlong
The nut holds the shaft in position but, if something else is reamed out it won't hold the nut, thus you have the shaft moving around.
/dirtymind
Sig worthy
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Lol good one I was waiting for someone to say something about all the shafts and nuts in this forum it was starting to make me uncomfortable that it took this long lol.
Old 03-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The spring is compressed on the strut by the strut retainer bolt holding the spring seat in place, the strut and spring assembly is held in place against the unibody by the mount. The shaft of the strut should not be moving at all, if it is, then I suspect the mount bolts are loose and allowing the whole assembly to move up and down..

Kenny, I do believe you should sig that.
Old 03-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Lol good one I was waiting for someone to say something about all the shafts and nuts in this forum it was starting to make me uncomfortable that it took this long lol.
Nah, too early wouldn't be funny
Laz's was just perfect, was waiting for the perfect quote, and found it

When you first started talking about shafts i said "Oh god, I fear i know where this is going" XD
Btw, Triz caught it right away too

Last edited by Kennykid2002; 03-24-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Ok one more thing can someone point ne in the right direction? Im having an intake issue. I read the faqs in trizs post but my question wasn't answered
Old 03-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Ok one more thing can someone point ne in the right direction? Im having an intake issue. I read the faqs in trizs post but my question wasn't answered
Whats the Q?
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

The one I have is hitting my hood so im junkin it is there any way to take the stock air box and modify it to a pipe and filter attached to it or can I just buy a cheap 90° plenum boot and build a pipe for it where can I get something like that
Old 03-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

You can buy a cheap ebay short ram intake, or build one yourself out of pvc pipe, as one member of this forum did
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Would pvc pipe be good enough its plent smooth inside but will it take the heat w/o cracking and what section was that guys dig so I could give it a looksee

Quick Reply: umm dont know what happened