Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Koni rear perch problem SOLVED (for now)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Koni rear perch problem SOLVED (for now)

well as most of you know, the koni rear perch is held by a little piece of metal called a c-ring that is very prone to bending and breaking off... i wanted to bring it to a shop to get it welded but i didn't want to risk it because the heat from the welding could affect the strut.... so here is what i did to reinforce the perch...

1. I sanded down the yellow paint below the bottom groove (the position closest to stock)
2. I bought some "Magnum Steel" from OSH (Orchard supply hardware)... its a store here in so. cal... its like play-doh at first but becomes steel... its a form of "cold welding"
3. I bought 2 hose clamps
4. I rolled some of the "Magnum Steel" into a worm and wrapped it under the c-ring and patted it down so it would stick to the metal but i made sure it was still think... in a way it expanded the c-ring
5. I took a hose clamp and put it over the bottom half of the putty and tightened it so that it would really stick to the metal

it became hard after 5 minutes but i didn't want to take any chances because it said "full cure in 24 hours" so i let it sit for 24 hours before putting the car back down...

this has worked for me so far and has been holding up great... but the c-ring will never be able to move again and you can't move it to the upper groove... small price to pay if you ask me because i don't think i'll be towing a trailer anytime soon...

i figured you can get any form of "cold weld" (most come in form of glue or gel) and slap some under the c-ring to help it out (which was my first idea)
or
get the "Magnum Steel" putty or any other brand of putty that turns into steel and expand the c-ring (which is what i did) and then put the hose clamp and squeeze the bottom part of the drying putty...

but make sure you sand the yellow paint off (not too much or the c-ring will fall off)

i'll take some pics and post them tomorrow after i get my new kumho tires installed / alignment / camber correction... hopefully the pictures will clear anything confusing that i just said above
Old 06-27-2003
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
good temp solution..but coldwelds aren't as strong as you think they are. but otherwise smart