Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

rear suspension and brake line

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
rear suspension and brake line

2005 canadian civic Si coupe.

I got 2 new quick struts to put behind on both wheels. they seem to not have the right angle to be able to be screwed at the bottom.

Can i use a spring compressor for the back suspension the spin the top to the right angle.

And my driver side rear wheel brake line thats directly connected to the drum brakes is leaking seriously and is not gonna have any brake fluid by tomorrow morning. I guess its a good thing because i can do any line job now. i need to change that small line part thats connected to the rear drum.

Is there a special technique to refill brake fluid or i just pour in and pump the brakes until all is good?
Old 05-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: rear suspension and brake line

put behind on both wheels. they seem to not have the right angle to be able to be screwed at the bottom.
Fronts or rears?

Front, The top plate is on a bearing, it will spin with a little effort.

Rears need turned? Swap sides?
I might stick the top of the strut up in the hole and start the nuts but not tighten them yet.
Then stick an extension (or tapered punch or prybar whatever will fit) through the bottom bushing to twist the strut body (bottom section) to where it needs to go, just make sure the spring stays seated in its lower perch correctly. It will turn pretty easy.

Is there a special technique to refill brake fluid or i just pour in and pump the brakes until all is good?
Use brake fluid DOT-3
Refill and bleed using standard procedures. Make sure the rear bleeder screw(s) will open up without breaking off, you may be replacing wheel cylinders if they break off.
Old 05-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point

is this safe or OK?

I really had to twist the bottom of the shock to be able to fit it. You can see there is space now between the coil and where it is suppose to stop. IF this is not OK, any other suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^That's what I meant about trying to keep the spring seated in its perch..

It's not far off, maybe less than a half inch? IMO it won't really hurt anything and it will probably settle into its correct position after a short time bouncing on some rough roads.

With that wheel off the ground, you might be able to grab that spring with both hands and twist it into position (not all are loose enough to do this but on some cars you can)