Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Air bag inflator

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Air bag inflator

Back in December 2014, got the notice on my Honda on the inflator recall. Being at the dealer, I put my order in. Was out of the country 3 months and after checking on it May, I decided to call Honda and be sure it was in cue. They assigned me a case number and said two week? One came in the other day. (was not aware the passenger was on the recall)

Had it installed Saturday while car was being State inspected. Got home and after getting out to move a bike out of the driveway, noticed the RED airbag light was on. Though it might clear itself. This had happened before when wife was throwing her YOGA mat in the passenger seat couple years ago.

Anyway, it appeared to be on most of the time now, so I carried it in. First thing out of the service man was that the inflator would not cause it. That it probably was already on and that to check was $100 ......Yes. Anyway, my service man came up and said he would take care of me. Anyway, after about an hour, they think it's the seatbelt switch. (lifetime still on my older car) Had to order it.

Still strange since the seatbelt switch works fine for it on the seatbelt light. Are they two switches in the seat belt receiver? I looked it my service manual and I simply could not find it.

Also looked at a new white HRV...They have a $2000 mark up above NADA +$200 for nitrogen. They are cool however.
Old 06-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air bag inflator

Still strange since the seatbelt switch works fine for it on the seatbelt light. Are they two switches in the seat belt receiver?
The microswitch in the buckle is SPDT.
(Really new stuff has been using something entirely different)

The SRS control, unit must see both sides of the switch intact, one side of that switch must make contact at all times.

The seat belt light can go out if its side of the switch goes open or goes grounded, that light doesn't care--- but the SRS control unit sure does...

+$200 for nitrogen.
Damn, they must be proud of that NASCAR gas.
I'd tell them to let it all out and put normal 78% nitrogen back in and remove the $200 off the price.

And watch them stare because they have no clue.

Our shop was getting $10 per tire. $40 for 4.
Another dealer here charges like $12 for all 4 tires.
I personally think it's a complete waste of money, I wouldn't pay for it.
ALL my tires are filled with 78% Nitrogen!

Also looked at a new white HRV...They have a $2000 mark up above NADA
We don't have any left right now, they sell as soon as they hit the lot!

I haven't seen any with insane markup stickers on our lot yet so I'll sell you one for sticker price if you have cash. But we don't have any left to sell at the moment LOL

Last edited by ezone; 06-09-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Air bag inflator

Thanks EZONE..I sure was hoping it was not the controler. I will be in the market in another year and 1/2 for the wife's car. Taking care of this one so it will be in good shape to give to the grand daughter. The brakes were making a click. I will just never learn. Used AutoZone's Gold pad. Think the problem was the aftermarket shim set is too soft. It still had the molykote brake grease on it but it was not smooth in less then 10K of miles. I put a .010 shim bent down on each side to retain it under the spring retainer to limit the forward and aft motion. Had about .020. Used copper anti seize grease this time. All is quite now.