Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic LX Brake pedal soft but still stops

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoseyEm2 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic LX Brake pedal soft but still stops

I have a 2002 civic 5spd and the brake pedal goes down to the floor but it still stops with no problems. I drove it like this for 11k miles and the brakes haven't gave me a problem the brake pedal is just soft. I tried bleeding the brakes many times but it the same soft brake pedal. It's not normal for sure but I have no idea why it's like that. I read some forums online and they said something about a check valve? Btw no brake fluid leaks out. It's all dry. No fluid leaks on the inside and no fluid leaks in the engine bay. Anyone can tell me what it is?
Old 02-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2002 Civic LX Brake pedal soft but still stops

Have you checked the adjustment of the rear brakes? Drum brakes have springs that pull the shoes back away from the drum. As the pads wear the adjusters should keep the pads close to the drum but if they don't then there is more travel in the brake pedal.
A quick test is to step on the brakes while the parking brake is engaged since it will push the pads against the drums and remove any travel.
Old 02-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When did this problem start? Did someone install calipers upside down (bleeders on the bottom)?

I'd find a spot with loose gravel, drive into it about 5 MPH....stab the brake pedal to make it skid to a stop.
Jump out and look:
See if two wheels did NOT make skid marks. (This check can eliminate half of the system as suspect)
Old 02-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
When did this problem start? Did someone install calipers upside down (bleeders on the bottom)?

I'd find a spot with loose gravel, drive into it about 5 MPH....stab the brake pedal to make it skid to a stop.
Jump out and look:
See if two wheels did NOT make skid marks. (This check can eliminate half of the system as suspect)
Well I got the car in December and I haven't really drove it cause I didn't have my license but until I started driving I started to see it was soft. That was in August. I've been driving with the car ever since like that and if I brake hard enough then the passsenger side locks first.
Old 02-16-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pjb3
Have you checked the adjustment of the rear brakes? Drum brakes have springs that pull the shoes back away from the drum. As the pads wear the adjusters should keep the pads close to the drum but if they don't then there is more travel in the brake pedal.
A quick test is to step on the brakes while the parking brake is engaged since it will push the pads against the drums and remove any travel.
I did drum brakes recently and I bled them... I'm.nkt sure if I did the drum brakes wrong but it was like.this even before I did the drum brakes
Old 02-17-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what is your procedure for bleeding?

there was a guy that sold his car because he could not get the brakes to work, then saw the guy he sold the car a few months later and asked how it was doing - he said it was great, all he had do to was to bleed the brakes...

have a friend that knows and work on cars watch your procedure - I don't know what that guy was doing wrong, but he was doing something wrong.
Old 02-17-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
what is your procedure for bleeding?

there was a guy that sold his car because he could not get the brakes to work, then saw the guy he sold the car a few months later and asked how it was doing - he said it was great, all he had do to was to bleed the brakes...

have a friend that knows and work on cars watch your procedure - I don't know what that guy was doing wrong, but he was doing something wrong.
Well I pump both of the pedals. First it's passenger rear, then driver side rear then passenger side front and the driver side front. Brake fluid comes clear all times.