Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 honda civic lx overheating in idle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hostel is an unknown quantity at this point
03 honda civic lx overheating in idle.

03 honda civic lx overheats when in park or at idle. It cools when driving. After researching the web I checked the fuse under the hood and the 20 amp fuse was blown. I replace the fuse then come to find that it was blown again. The fan did kick on however when I replace the fuse again with a 30 amp the fan remained on. I took a ride in my other car came back and the fan was still going about an hour later. There is no AC compressor on the car so I can't test the compressor fan Theory.
There are many different problems and solutions online for these problems individually. I needed to post my problem for my own Solutions.

Any ideas? Please help. Thank you on Advanced

Last edited by Hostel; 10-08-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 03 honda civic lx overheating in idle.

how are the coolant levels in the rad, and in the overflow bottle?
Old 10-08-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
how are the coolant levels in the rad, and in the overflow bottle?
I didn't check. But in past instances the level was low and had to top of the radiator. The Overflow was low.
Old 10-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend bought this used 03 honda civic of from some dumdass without any notice or discussion with me. Therefore....

I neglect this car because I hate it.

Any ideas?
Your girlfriend bought this without your approval and shes still your girlfriend? You HATE this car?
Kick her to the curb, then you can get that Camero you had your eye on.

Oh, and tell her I said hey.
Old 10-09-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hostel
I didn't check. But in past instances the level was low and had to top of the radiator. The Overflow was low.
if its still overheating after you top up these levels its most likely a blown head gasket
Old 10-09-2016
Registered!!

Help me understand. Wouldn't there be performance issues? The fan never kicks on. Is there a way to check if it's blown? Thank you for your time.
Old 10-09-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hostel
Wouldn't there be performance issues?
no

The fan never kicks on.

fix this issue first
Old 10-09-2016
Registered!!

That is my original issue. The fan works but it blows fuses. With a higher amperage fuse the fan just stays on with the car off an hour later. So I don't know if it's a relay switch or a temp sensor or crossed wiring.
Old 10-09-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Hostel; 11 Hours Ago at 09:19 PM.
Why'd you bother to edit out the good stuff?

Blows 20A fuse: Bad fan motor

Fan runs after car is shut off: Probably stuck relay for whichever fan was on.....unless someone hotwired it up to run all the time.
Do BOTH radiator fans run? They should always run together.

If it didn't already have a blown head gasket before the bad fan motor caused it to overheat, it sure could now. Plus anything else that could go along with a severe overheat event.

This blown head gasket could pass every check most people can think of while the problem is small.
There is only one test that reliably proves it good or bad for me.
Old 10-09-2016
Registered!!

No. Only one fan runs. What is the test that you have in mind? What are long term issues from a blown head gasket? Is it something I can repair myself with intermediate skills, basic stsndard tools and no shop.?
Old 10-09-2016

So more than one problem with the fans.....One blown fuses, other doesn't work at all, and something has caused one (or both) to be stuck on all the time.

You need to fix these multiple fan problems first.

If you can't fix those, then there's no point in fixing a head gasket problem, if it actually has one.
Old 10-09-2016

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 10-09-2016
Registered!!

Thank you very much.
Old 10-09-2016

Is it something I can repair myself with intermediate skills, basic stsndard tools and no shop.?
Some people can DIY the job.
Other people shouldn't ever open the hood of a car.

The job will require metric tools though.
There's a head gasket DIY thread somewhere in this site too. Search.