Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SightScout is an unknown quantity at this point
Alignment question

So I was having trouble finding information online. I haven't taken the car to get aligned with a laser machine because of costs and I want to try doing it myself still. Basically I just replaced failing lower control arms and stabilizer links. Now the car is aligned slightly better but the steering wheel is still off by like a 30 degree angle to the right when the wheels are straight. The problem I saw is that the right front wheel turns further to the right than the left wheel does. Would it be possible to adjust camber, toe and caster to fix this problem? I have seen a steering wheel out of alignment like this before so I know this has to be do able.

Also there are no noticeable sounds when driving except when I turn hard left there is a slight knocking noise like maybe the tire is hitting the suspension or something.
Old 09-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alignment question

During a tight turn, the inside tire will always be at a sharper angle than the outer tire. This is called 'toe out on turns' and is because the wheels to not follow the same arcs during a turn.

The same result should be expected when turning the other direction too.

If you only messed with lower control arms, the alignment shouldn't be very far off from where it was before you started.

Knocking during a turn, CV joint bad? Loose lugnuts? Axle nut? LCA bolts?
Old 09-17-2016
Registered!!

Yeah like I said the steering wheel only corrected itself by maybe 5-8 degrees back towards center but it is still pretty crooked when the wheels are pointing straight. I torqued all the LCA bolts to spec along with the ball joint castle nut. I almost forgot to mention that I had a bad ball joint boot on that side where the knocking noise happens so it might just be the ball joint. I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet(I have a new one here). I doubt it is the CV axle because going at speed I don't hear or feel any vibration like a failing CV axle would cause. Unless someone cleaned up grease from the CV boot because it leaked I would have to open it up and check if it is still greased up enough. I just don't have any air tools so I am doing it pretty slowly.

I suppose I overstated that one wheel turns more than the other. They are pretty close and your explanation about the arc during a turn settled some concerns. I guess I just need to finish figuring out how to adjust toe and caster because I still get a (moderate) pull to the right when driving straight.
Old 09-17-2016
No Fracs Given

FracKen is an unknown quantity at this point

Your steering wheel angle is determined by your tierods.
Example

If you turn your left in and your right out it the exact same number of times, your steering wheel will rotate to the left.

The same is true in reverse.

By doing this you move the actual center link which is attached to your pitman arm. Moving the pitman arm moves the steering box, which rotates your steering column...

Tightening things won't fix it.

When aligning your car, you have to start at the steering wheel and get it centered FIRST. Then you adjust your toe to match your steering wheel.

----EDIT----

If you are adverse to paying (I don't blame you) I suggest these few tools

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...+Magnets+(pair)

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...gnetic+Adapter

I have done my own alignments for many years. Laser alignment is without a doubt far more accurate, unfortunately the people running the machine do not always have the skill needed to use it to it's fullest potential and make it come our spot on every time.

Last edited by FracKen; 09-17-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Don't want to double post.
Old 09-20-2016
Registered!!

So toe is the only thing you can adjust without using aftermarket suspension parts right? There is so much mixed information on the internet about toe and caster.
Old 09-20-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SightScout
So toe is the only thing you can adjust without using aftermarket suspension parts right? There is so much mixed information on the internet about toe and caster.
7th gen:
The factory did not provide adjustments for caster.

If you need to change camber on the front, you have to try to loosen bolts and move the joint between strut and steering knuckle. If you can't move that far enough, then you install a smaller diameter bolt to gain some movement. (If you had to go that far to match factory spec, you probably missed a major problem.)

The only easily adjustable alignment points the factory gave that car is for toe.
Old 09-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

ezone, is there anything about these cars you don't know about? Sheesh man, this site should be compensating you somehow. How about your own Youtube channel? The new Scotty Kilmer or Eric the Car Guy? Ezone's Car Zone has a ring to it?
Old 09-21-2016

Originally Posted by NDNV
ezone, is there anything about these cars you don't know about?
Plenty.
I'm always learning on a daily basis....and forgetting even more.

If I can't keep learning new stuff, I may as well just staple seat covers for a living.....because seat cover technology hasn't changed a whole lot in the last 50 years.

Sheesh man, this site should be compensating you somehow. How about your own Youtube channel? The new Scotty Kilmer or Eric the Car Guy? Ezone's Car Zone has a ring to it?
My "homeless biker hippie" look doesn't seem very photogenic LOL