Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C not working, everyone HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DougieFresh is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry A/C not working, everyone HELP!

Hey guys, I need your help diagnosing an A/C issue. Background details, it is a 2002 Honda CivicLX, 185,000 miles.All maintenance keptup. A/C compressor was replaced at one time and A/C worked after. The A/C stopped working (blowing coldair) about a year ago.Just now wantingit fixed as this summer has been hot.I’vesearched the forum for a similar symptom situation but haven’t found one.
Here’s what’s happening. A/C light on dash board illuminates.The interior fan always blows air when asked to, not hot or cold air butair that is not as hot as it is outside.Blows heat when asked to.Underthe hood I haven’t monkeyed with it much yet as I would like some inputfirst.The radiator fan comes on and offonce the car warms up.When I ask thesystem for A/C the A/C condenser fan only comes on when the radiator sidedoes.Is that normal?I let the car and A/C system run in my driveway for a while.Had the wife turn the fandial on and off a couple of times and could hear a slight change in the enginelaboring but nothing like a clutch engaging.The low side line became hot to touch and the high side line was neitherhot nor cold. Visually fuses/relays under the hood look good, I know that doesn’talways count.
Just looking for suggestions as a next step, I don’t have a manifold gauge and if I haveto take it to a shop I would like to point them in the direction and not wastehours/money diagnosing the issue.
I should add that back when the A/C did work, towards the end it would only blow hot air if we were stuck in a traffic jam.
Much thanks in advance. Sorry for the book.

Old 07-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C not working, everyone HELP!

towards the end it would only blow hot air if we were stuck in a traffic jam.
System
has probably leaked the freon out. Got pressure?
Old 07-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Does the A/C clutch engage and spin?
Old 07-07-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
System has probably leaked the freon out. Got pressure?
I don't have a manifold gauge to check and figured the cheapo's from the auto store aren't worth it? Correct me if I'm wrong. Was hoping to be able to diagnose a bit without.
Old 07-07-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Does the A/C clutch engage and spin?
It does not.
Old 07-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DougieFresh
I don't have a manifold gauge to check and figured the cheapo's from the auto store aren't worth it? Correct me if I'm wrong. Was hoping to be able to diagnose a bit without.
In your case, the first thing I want to know is if the system has enough pressure to turn on.
You don't need NASA level accuracy to find that out. A cheapo is good enough to tell that much.

Based on the fact the clutch does not engage and you did not mention the radiator fans turning on when you try to run the AC AND your last sentence in the first post indicating it quit cooling when stopped......
I'm guessing the system is empty, or nearly so.

If true, you'll have to install some and figure out where the leakage is. I'd suggest using the R134a freon with UV dye in it.....so (assuming the leak is very slow) after it leaks out you can use a blacklight to hunt down the evidence.

I never recommend sealers because those can ruin the expensive freon recovery and charging stations that we professionals use. These things can be worth more than the cars we connect them to.