Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Misfires and codes with low gas level

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tripod007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Misfires and codes with low gas level

I'm having misfire codes with my 03 civic ex. I first got these codes last year and the problem turned out to be a clogged intake manifold. After I had it cleaned out the codes went away for about 7 months. Now I'm getting these codes again, but only when my gas tank is below a 1/4 tank. Once I fill up the tank and drive it for about a mile the codes go away. Anyone have any explanation for this??

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 11-13-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star1967 will become famous soon enough
Re: Misfires and codes with low gas level

Dirt and debri in the tank. Dirty gas and poor quality is a factor. Have you tried cleaning the tank?
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tripod007
I'm having misfire codes with my 03 civic ex. I first got these codes last year and the problem turned out to be a clogged intake manifold. After I had it cleaned out the codes went away for about 7 months. Now I'm getting these codes again, but only when my gas tank is below a 1/4 tank. Once I fill up the tank and drive it for about a mile the codes go away. Anyone have any explanation for this??
When did you change your fuel filter last? I am not sure if that is related, but it is often overlooked during tune ups and it can cause issues with idle, startup and throttle response. IF it has not been changed in a long time it probably needs it anyway. considering that you let the air cleaner go that long...
Old 11-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a random misfire code, I might guess the strainer on the inlet to the pump may be clogged, causing it to cavitate and pull air when fuel level is low.

Or is it a single cylinder misfire code?