Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

04 Civic 1.6 code P0113

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H-Civ-Hatch-04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 04 Civic 1.6 code P0113

Hello everybody,
I have a Civic 7th Gen 1,6 2004 3doors, 182K. One year ago my fuel pump was dead. I replaced with a non oem part that was working bad (check engine light): fuel economy, stalling near the end of fuel tank, lower rmp in idle and a strange and not linear noise of fuel pump like it was forced to work. I replaced again this time with a new oem part. Everything ok for 3 months than it happens again with same signs and problems as metioned above with code P0113. We tested ERG, Catalyc, Ignetors, ok ok ok. Than we took off the air filter and the car returns to normality. We put the air filter and it returns to problems. This time the fuel pump is ok because when the air filter is off the box, no fuel pump strange noise and the rest is working great. So what to check again? Any idea? Thank you
Old 03-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 Civic 1.6 code P0113

Moved to a new thread.

1.6 Liter, is this a European area car?

P0113 is for IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor, usually located in the air inlet tube or filter housing.

May have been set when your air intake tubing was removed?
Computer goes into a fault mode while sensor is off line?

Check for a blockage in the air filter tubing system?

Test fuel pressure?
Fuel quality problem causing pump issues? Debris in the bottom of the fuel tank?
Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H-Civ-Hatch-04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah its European. The IAT sensor was disconnected and thats why it said P0113, but the real code/problem is P0171.

The air tubing system is ok.
No debris, the fuel tank it was clean.
Fuel pressure ok.

Perhaps the petrol quality is not ok but I used always the same fuel. The problem is that when I put back the air filter, the car, fuel pump, rpm, fuel economy and the overall working regime is not good. When I put it off, everything is ok.

Something else: if I put more fuel in the tank (more than 1/5 of total capacity), the car works better but not like it was before. So, less petrol inside, more accentuated the problems are, except without air filter that works perfect. I'm getting mad with this issue.
Old 03-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H-Civ-Hatch-04
Yeah its European.
Ok, I don't have info for Euro cars, but I'll try to help.
The IAT sensor was disconnected and thats why it said P0113,
When you remove the air filter housing, pull out the IAT sensor and keep it connected to its wiring. Place the sensor where it is not contacting hot parts of the engine if at all possible.

Are there any vacuum lines being disconnected when you remove the housing?

What type of EGR valve does your engine use? All electric? Vacuum?

, but the real code/problem is P0171.
I didn't see this code in your first post.

Fuel system lean.
Got freeze frame data? (if available)
Cleared the code, see how long it takes to reset it?
What are the conditions when the code resets? Idle? Driving at some certain speed?

Does it ONLY run poorly at idle?
Does it run poorly while driving too? Certain speeds?

Fuel pressure ok.
Is this car using a returnless type fuel system?

What's your fuel pressure?

Can you do a flow test, where you can have visual confirmation that it really is raw, liquid fuel in the line at the engine, not vapor or bubbles? (Clear tubing so you can see any bubbles, or purge the gauge line under pressure, watch what comes out)
Make sure the pump is actually pumping liquid, not cavitating and sucking air. Inlet screen clear.

Collect a fuel sample in a clear glass jar, let it sit for a while. See if anything separates out?
Test a fuel sample for Alcohol/Ethanol content?

Perhaps the petrol quality is not ok but I used always the same fuel. The problem is that when I put back the air filter, the car, fuel pump, rpm, fuel economy and the overall working regime is not good. When I put it off, everything is ok.

Something else: if I put more fuel in the tank (more than 1/5 of total capacity), the car works better but not like it was before. So, less petrol inside, more accentuated the problems are, except without air filter that works perfect. I'm getting mad with this issue.
When you got the Honda fuel pump, did you receive a complete tank 'module' that just drops in place inside the tank, or did you get a simple small electric pump that you have to take apart the 'module' to install?