Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2nd gear slipping out when I'm making a turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RafBys629 is an unknown quantity at this point
2nd gear slipping out when I'm making a turn

As the title says, whenever I'm driving and about to make a turn (sometimes just going from 1st to 2nd) my 2nd gear slips which causes the car to grind the gear (one of the most horrible sounds I have ever heard). I changed the clutch fluid to see if this would help, which it did only slightly. Would a MTF drain and fill possibly fix this issue. I don't have the money for a transmission swap or rebuild.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-19-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd gear slipping out when I'm making a turn

2nd gear synchro. I'm pretty sure all of us with 01-05 MT civics get that problem. I read that using Pennzoil synchromesh helps the problem, so I tried it, only to discover it serves as a bandaid on an open wound.
Old 02-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2nd gear slipping out when I'm making a turn

Yes that is a likely culprit, but any gear grinding\popping out issues the first thing to eye is all the motor mounts. Remember KISS keep it simple stupid (acronym, not accussitory).