Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Start sputter stall, P0335

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bbilligmeier is an unknown quantity at this point
Start sputter stall, P0335

2003 civic LX 5spd 1.7Lt Stock

Back story:

So my neighbor came over and asked me to listen to a noise his girlfriends car was making thinking it might be the timing belt. He turned the car on (car fired right up and ran smooth) and I could tell right away it was a loose belt. We immediately shut it down and preceded to go purchase timing belt/water pump/tensioner and valve cover gasket.

Everything came apart fine and the problem was the tensioner spring had rubbed through the retainer hole and thus belt was loose and flopping. The timing belt/water pump looked new but we replaced them anyway.

Now for the frustrating part:

We did everything "by the book" breaking down and putting back together.
So we go to start the car and all we get is a labored sputter and stall. Thinking we may have the timing off by one tooth we completely disassemble and check everything. All looks right. (As I'm writing this we have done this process 3 times)

Timing marks are lined up on crank and cam
All sensors are clean and plugged in
We replaced spark plugs
We have verified spark, fuel, and cylinder pressure
We replaced the crank sensor
I used a multi-meter to check crank sensor for proper voltages
We then plugged in a code reader and got the P0355

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!!
Old 01-26-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Start sputter stall, P0335

The P0335, did you erase the code?
Does it reset right away?

Is the connector fully latched onto the sensor?
Is there ANY evidence of corrosion (blue or green fuzzys) on the terminals in the harness shell?

Problem 1, you shouldn't have unplugged the sensor at all. I just unbolt it and let it dangle.

Is the crank gear backwards?(Dunno if that's possible)
Sensor not aligned with the nubs on the crank gear? Any nubs broke off?
Old 01-26-2015
Registered!!

I erased the code 3 sep times and it returns Each time

The sensor was replaced and the harness plug cleaned with electrical cleaner, used a dab of dielectric grease, there was no corrosion on any contacs.

The crank sprocket is on correctly ( don't know if u can put it on backwards)

The nubs on both cam and crank pass their respective sensor at exact same time, nothing's broke, corroded or covered with any fluids/gunk.
Old 01-26-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

P0335 CKP sensor no signal...

Key on. 3 wires at the CKP connector, should find 12v, 5v, and a ground. Is it actually testing as a ground?

The manual wants you to play swaptronics now. Swap the sensor and see if it works, if not then swap a good PCM. (Everyone has a couple of those laying around, right?)

----------

There were issues with water getting past the CKP connector gasket causing terminal corrosion. Sometimes disturbing the connection during service causes problems.

"Pin drag" test the female terminals, make sure they are able to tightly grip the male blades in the sensor. If the terminal can't grip the pin tightly then the connection is easily broken.
I have a large variety of male terminals from old harnesses for doing this type of test.

Aftermarket part? Questionable.

If you have a labscope, probe the 5v line and check for a real signal. I believe it should be a square wave 5v/0v while running.
If you don't have a scope, I'd try to backprobe the 5v line with a digital voltmeter, look for toggling between 5v and ground as you slowly turn the crank, and each tooth of the gear going past the sensor should cause it to change state. Or any sort of measurable change to indicate some electrical activity is going on there as the crank gear turns.

HTH
Old 01-27-2015
Registered!!

I tested the leads for 12v and ground but I haven't tested the 5v for signal.

I replaced the sensor( advance auto) but still same result.

I'll test the 5v and see if that's good. Where is the PCM located?
Old 01-27-2015

Originally Posted by bbilligmeier
I tested the leads for 12v and ground but I haven't tested the 5v for signal.
The wire that has the 5v is the wire that the computer uses to read the sensor.

I replaced the sensor( advance auto) but still same result.
So it may or may not be a sensor problem.
Where is the PCM located?
Behind the glovebox, up high next to the blower housing. Open the glovebox wide open as though you were going to replace the cabin filters.

Old 01-30-2015
Registered!!

So, tested the crank sensor voltages again and they appear correct. Ignition on (already tested for 12v power and ground) there's a steady 4.5v. I removed the sensor and when I bring it close proximity to metal it goes to 0v.

Is this correct?
Old 01-30-2015

Originally Posted by bbilligmeier
So, tested the crank sensor voltages again and they appear correct. Ignition on (already tested for 12v power and ground) there's a steady 4.5v. I removed the sensor and when I bring it close proximity to metal it goes to 0v.

Is this correct?
Yes, it sounds correct.

The criteria for setting the P0335 code is this: Malfunction Threshold
No signals from the CKP sensor are input 50 times in succession.

So now to figure out why the computer would not detect more than 50 pulses from the crank timing gear teeth?
Old 04-30-2015
Registered!!

usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point

So my car is now doing this,
02 civic ex coupe
Just had timing belt water pump and headgasket done replaced lower control arms now it's stalling and showing p0335 it's got 162k
Checked all the wiring I think it's the sensor.
I am finding conflicting info.
It appears I have to remove the belts and the lower timing cover
Then take it out and replace.
Another person said that you have to remove the crank pulley and timing belt to replace it.
What exactly new to be done so I can fix it I am stalling out like crazy
Old 04-30-2015
Registered!!

sharp66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by usajags84
So my car is now doing this,
02 civic ex coupe
Just had timing belt water pump and headgasket done replaced lower control arms now it's stalling and showing p0335 it's got 162k
Checked all the wiring I think it's the sensor.
I am finding conflicting info.
It appears I have to remove the belts and the lower timing cover
Then take it out and replace.
Another person said that you have to remove the crank pulley and timing belt to replace it.
What exactly new to be done so I can fix it I am stalling out like crazy
To get to the sensor you have to do a ton of work, typically at that point you would want to replace the timing belt/water pump as well (unless you recently did it). you have to take off the alternator and the power steering pump, the brackets for them, and then you can take off the crank pulley (the tool can be borrowed from the parts store usually), which lets you take off the lower cover and replace the sensor...

Have fun! I just did it last weekend if you have any questions. the tutorial here is pretty good.
Old 04-30-2015

Unplug the crank sensor and check both sets of the terminals for any signs of corrosion, the connectors have been known to let liquid get in and cause all sorts of problems.

Name:  mk7pOAe.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  762.4 KB

Remove 2 belts and crank pulley,
remove valve cover and both timing covers and everything that goes with.
(You MIGHT be able to just unbolt the 4 bottom bolts from the lower cover and pull it away far enough to sneak the sensor out and in. IDK if it is doable or not, never tried it.)

Remove crank sensor and replace. Don't touch the timing belt. No need to pull alternator off if you are not replacing the timing belt, but now is a good time to do it ALL if it's anywhere close to needing done.

HTH
Old 05-02-2015
Registered!!

usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Unplug the crank sensor and check both sets of the terminals for any signs of corrosion, the connectors have been known to let liquid get in and cause all sorts of problems.

Remove 2 belts and crank pulley,
remove valve cover and both timing covers and everything that goes with.
(You MIGHT be able to just unbolt the 4 bottom bolts from the lower cover and pull it away far enough to sneak the sensor out and in. IDK if it is doable or not, never tried it.)

Remove crank sensor and replace. Don't touch the timing belt. No need to pull alternator off if you are not replacing the timing belt, but now is a good time to do it ALL if it's anywhere close to needing done.

HTH
Checking for liquid tonight, it's been raining so much in mobile I am reconsidering if I should finish my shed or build an arc.
Old 05-02-2015

Originally Posted by usajags84
Checking for liquid tonight, it's been raining so much in mobile I am reconsidering if I should finish my shed or build an arc.
Finding liquid would be an obvious bad problem, but you need to look closely for evidence like corrosion such as terminals that have green on them.

If no evidence, then I'd replace the sensor.