Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

2001 civic died on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
osiris211 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 civic died on the highway

So driving down the highway car lost power and died. Wouldn't start back up put key in ingition and turn key starter and lights click like a dead battery but I've checked battery voltage at 12.52 volts. Checked ignition switch bUT I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. Only checked for continuity. I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and what they have turned up with as the cause.. also I'm sorry if this has been talked about at great lengths this is my first post and the search function was not cooperating with my phone
Old 11-23-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 civic died on the highway

Can you turn the crankshaft using a wrench? (is the engine locked up)
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by osiris211
So driving down the highway car lost power and died. Wouldn't start back up put key in ingition and turn key starter and lights click like a dead battery but I've checked battery voltage at 12.52 volts. Checked ignition switch bUT I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. Only checked for continuity. I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and what they have turned up with as the cause.. also I'm sorry if this has been talked about at great lengths this is my first post and the search function was not cooperating with my phone
check your oil level, is it severely low? siezed engine?
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

I'm not sure to be honest. I haven't checked yet. Are you thinking the timing belt jumped?
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

Oil level is good. Had oil changed 4 days ago
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

are you saying the engine will not even crank/rotate while trying to start?
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
are you saying the engine will not even crank/rotate while trying to start?
No idea if it will rotate. I put the key in turn to on position. Lights all light up as per normal. Turn to the start position and the starter clicks but does not rotate as if it's a dead battery and the lights on the dash flicker with the clicking. I've tested battery voltage and it sits at 12.52 volts telling me the battery is not the issue. Grounds have been cleaned and checked along with battery terminal connections. I would assume if the motor was seized or timing jumped the car wouldn't click like it's being starved for electricity. My 04 golf still would spin when my timing belt let loose. And if the motor were seized I feel like there would be no clicking
Old 11-23-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the starter clicks but does not rotate as if it's a dead battery and the lights on the dash flicker with the clicking
Originally Posted by ezone
Can you turn the crankshaft using a wrench? (is the engine locked up)
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

No idea if it will rotate.

there is the place to start,

come back after you verify that, even if you have to rotate the engine manually by hand
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

After a good 24 hour low amp controlled charge and the battery has set about 24 hours voltage should be about 12.8 volts.
12.8 = full charged
12.6 = 75%
12.3 = 50%
12.0 =25%

Could still be battery or cable connections. driving along with a charge going on at around 15 volts, the battery should be above 13 or more when you first cut it off.
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify that this is a friend's car that I'm trying to help. In my haste I didn't check the oil which should have been my step one. Stick was bone dry. I couldn't rotate the crank by hand or by pushing the vehicle in gear. The motor will twist in the mounts. so I'm going to go ahead and say that it's fornicated.
Old 11-23-2014

it's fornicated.
Nice term!

Earlier I wanted to ask if anyone REALLY checked the oil....because having it changed 4 days ago means absolutely nothing.....but that gives a possible place to point the finger of blame:

Did the drain plug fall out?
Was the filter leaking?
Did someone forget to put oil in it?
Is there a huge oil mess on the bottom of the car?
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

No I think there's just a bad judgement of time to be honest. I'm betting it hasn't been changed in quite some time and it does have a minor leak but I'm sure it was burning too. Oh well though. Onto my next question how difficult is it to replace the motor or is it better to just let it go and move on
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

No I think there's just a bad judgement of time to be honest. I'm betting it hasn't been changed in quite some time and it does have a minor leak but I'm sure it was burning too. Oh well though. Onto my next question how difficult is it to replace the motor or is it better to just let it go and move on
I'm confused about the "bad judgement of time".
A couple of posts ago you were very confident it had been changed 4 days ago. Now you're "betting it hasn't been changed in quite some time".

Engine is ruined, move on.
Old 11-23-2014

Car is worth maybe 8 cents per pound as it sits, because it's nothing more than a huge paperweight right now.

It's worth quite a bit more as a running, driving unit.
Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone
Car is worth maybe 8 cents per pound as it sits, because it's nothing more than a huge paperweight right now.

It's worth quite a bit more as a running, driving unit.
They could list it "as is" on Craigslist and maybe get $600. That'd be about 24 cents/pound.
Potential buyers would enjoy the "bad judgement of time" and the oil change (4 days ago) that hasn't been done in "quite some time". Osiris211 can tell buyers "before the engine seized... it burned some oil and leaked some oil, but oh, the good times we had."

Either way, the OP should stick to gold coins and puppy dogs.
Old 11-24-2014
Registered!!

your answers seem very deceptive, and your story isnt making sense, you have changed your original answer to two or three different questions,

if we spend the time to ask you questions, the least you could do is give an honest answer that you have verified,

is the oil level low?.....you said it was fine, and now all of a sudden its empty?

later.....