Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car cranks too long before starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilrob1213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car cranks too long before starting

I have a 2003 Civic EX 1.7L. I had a fuel leak in my fuel pump filter housing, so I removed the pump, disassembled and replaced the filter and the strainer, put it all back together and back into the fuel tank. Woohoo! No more leaks! It started right up after turning the key to on several times to prime the lines.

But now the problem is: when I go to start the car, it just takes a lot longer time cranking before it actually catches and starts. I think I count to about 3 or 4 before it starts, whereas before it would just turn over once and start right away! If I turn the key to on for a couple seconds and then start, it catches and starts quicker than without doing that process. When I don't do that though it seems to take too long to start and I don't want to be ruining my starter by cranking too long. I am wondering if there is some kind of valve that is supposed to prevent the fuel from bleeding back into the pump while the car is parked? Does the pressure regulator do anything like that? Or something else in the pump?

P.S.- after I start the car, it runs great just as it did before the pump was taken out and filter and strainer replaced. There are no hesitations or anything else weird going on.
Old 09-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car cranks too long before starting

The system is supposed to retain residual fuel pressure for some time after the engine is shut off and the pump stops running, this is to keep the fuel from boiling in the lines after shutting off a hot engine and to keep the lines primed.

The fuel pressure regulator is one of the check/hold valves, and the other is either in the filter housing or in the pump itself.

Note that any assembly error such as pinched or cut O rings or hoses or partially assembled fittings in the assembly can result in fuel leakage (inside the tank) and rapid loss of residual pressure.

(I'd think that a completely missing O ring would keep the engine from running, but IDK for certain.)
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Ok, so most likely it's something that I did when disconnecting and reconnecting the new filter and strainer then? I guess I'll have to look at it again. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilrob1213
Ok, so most likely it's something that I did when disconnecting and reconnecting the new filter and strainer then? I guess I'll have to look at it again. Thanks!
If that's the last thing you did immediately before this new problem popped up, then it's the most likely answer.
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Alright, I'll check it out this week sometime and post what I find. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you tighten up the gas cap?
Old 09-29-2014
Registered!!

I did. And I filled up with gas later that day and I always tighten to 3 clicks like it says… kind of OCD lol
Old 10-11-2014
Registered!!

Sheirstles is an unknown quantity at this point

Get the fault codes read. The car likely already knows what the problem is.