Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing the camshaft on honda d16y7

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J.P.M. is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Timing the camshaft on honda d16y7

well I've been having trouble timing my Honda del Sol d16y7engine year 1997. my timing belt broke while driving down the road, so I decided to replace the cylinder head along with timing belt water pump tensioner pulley. I've gotten as far as timing the engine. There is lots of information on the Internet on how to get your #1 cylinder to top dead center, and I've done that: also the camshaft pulley lined up with the marks to the top of the cylinder head. But as I see it, the camshaft has the potential to be out, 180 degrees; meaning the valves will be either open or closed at the right cylinders or the wrong cylinders. So my question is; is this true? And if so, how do you get your cam shaft to number one position? Remember, I am trying to time the camshaft separately from a crankshaft without the timing belt. From all the information I have gathered on my car; the firing order is; 1.3.4.2.
Old 09-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Timing the camshaft on honda d16y7

be very careful, you could damage valves here very easily,

if your crank is at TDC i would rotate it 90 degrees in its direction of travel, this will put all the pistons half way up the cylinders and clear of the valves,

at this point its now safe to rotate the camshaft to TDC

after you do that, turn the crank back to TDC in the opposite direction of travel back the 90 degrees,

remove your spark plugs to make it easier to rotate the engine