Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

valve guide seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luciano24 is an unknown quantity at this point
valve guide seals

2003 1.7 Civic is using oil and smokes on start up. I'm going to replace the valve seals. I have replaced the seals on other cars with out having to pull the head. Has anyone done this on a 1.7 Civic. On some engines it just can't be done. Is it possable on this engines or should I just pull the head?
Old 08-31-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: valve guide seals

No clue, never tried to do stem seals on Hondas.

If you end up pulling the head, put rings in it.... the oil consumption is typically stuck rings.

JMO
Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by luciano24
2003 1.7 Civic is using oil and smokes on start up. I'm going to replace the valve seals. I have replaced the seals on other cars with out having to pull the head. Has anyone done this on a 1.7 Civic. On some engines it just can't be done. Is it possable on this engines or should I just pull the head?
dont just start guessing and throwing parts at it, find out what the problem is first, as ezone said could be rings and in that case you would be wasting your time and money
Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luciano24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
dont just start guessing and throwing parts at it, find out what the problem is first, as ezone said could be rings and in that case you would be wasting your time and money
leak down test is good. no oil leaks. 177,000 miles........when first started blue smoke, goes away after car is running, no smoke on decel or hard accel......all indications is valve seals. If I can replace without pulling head will just do seals.....if I have to pull head then will go ahead and do rings, timing belt, water pump and rod bearings while it is down. would be foolish not to if I have to go as far as pulling head.

Last edited by luciano24; 08-31-2014 at 08:57 AM. Reason: miss spell