Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 EX New OEM Honda Alternator Installed, Red Battery Dash Light Persists

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BR549 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 EX New OEM Honda Alternator Installed, Red Battery Dash Light Persists

Bought a new Honda OEM alternator online for my 2001 EX and had a seasoned mechanic install it, but he just reported that the red battery dash light remains on, even though it is charging. Have not picked the car up yet....any ideas what might be wrong?? He assured me that it is well grounded, and I also recently installed new grounding cables and used my Dremel tool with stainless brush wheel to thoroughly clean the mounting surfaces. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 EX New OEM Honda Alternator Installed, Red Battery Dash Light Persists

Bought a new Honda OEM alternator online
You mean a Honda reman unit?
Genuine box, part number has "RM" on the end of it?

What was the problem before it got replaced?

Any codes?

Cluster fault check and sweep test passes? (charge light should blink during bulb test)

Unplug the 4 wire connector from the alt while it's running, does the charge light go out?

Battery voltage is found on blk/yel wire at the alt plug (key on)?

Other 3 wires of the alt plug have continuity between alt and PCM, and none are shorted to ground?

ALL fuses checked and good? (the system uses the PCM, gauge cluster, and multiplex control units)

If charging voltage is between 13.5 and 15.1v, and it puts out 60A or more @2000 RPM, then it sounds like a bad alt, regulator problem.
Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BR549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ezone, yes, it was a remanufactured unit from a Honda dealer. Symptoms before changing included battery light on dash stayed on, and not charging under load. Also a new battery would run down after parking lights left on 4 hours, when I have had running lights left on that long and had a car start OK (I try not to make a habit of doing this).
I will go down your list of checks this evening. Thanks again for all your help!!
Old 08-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

a new battery would run down after parking lights left on 4 hours,
Don't do that, ya big dummy!

Car is not running so that's got nothing to do with the alternator anyway, that's all on the battery itself.