Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Few questions about service at dealers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nere is an unknown quantity at this point
Few questions about service at dealers

Hi

I own 2004 Honda Civic 2dr Coupe, Value package, Manual Transmission.

I just touched 90K miles and got it serviced at local Honda dealer. I have few questions:

1. He gave a general comment that "Trans has Bad Bearings". Said it costs 2k if I want to correct it. But I have seen no issues. Sure there is some noise being an old car but nothing like whinning etc. Any way of checking for sure.

2. How can i check if engine oil/filter were really changed. Same for Manual transmission fluid. This is the first time I have used this dealer though he is an official honda dealer.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Few questions about service at dealers

Originally Posted by nere
Hi

I own 2004 Honda Civic 2dr Coupe, Value package, Manual Transmission.

I just touched 90K miles and got it serviced at local Honda dealer. I have few questions:

1. He gave a general comment that "Trans has Bad Bearings". Said it costs 2k if I want to correct it. But I have seen no issues. Sure there is some noise being an old car but nothing like whinning etc. Any way of checking for sure.

2. How can i check if engine oil/filter were really changed. Same for Manual transmission fluid. This is the first time I have used this dealer though he is an official honda dealer.

Thanks

1 - i wouldnt worry about it, unless there was/is a serious problem

2 - you should be able to tell by looking at the oil filter, and the color/condition of the engine oil on the dipstick
Old 07-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nere is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips.

Anyway to check if they replaced Manual Transmission fluid. Thanks
Old 07-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nere
Thanks for the tips.

Anyway to check if they replaced Manual Transmission fluid. Thanks
not a reliable way,

i suppose you could remove the fill plug, stick your finger in there and see what the condition of the fluid is like,