Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CD player/Radio turn on and stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lezawang is an unknown quantity at this point
CD player/Radio turn on and stuck

Hi
I have honda civic 2001 sedan (canada). I have been having radio issue for long time (4-5) years. When i turn it on, it works fine but then after few hours it will stuck on and i can not turn it off again. I have to take the battery cable (the -ve) out and then put it again and turn the radio on, it will ask me to enter the code and once i enter the code it would start working but then after few minutes/hours it will stuck and wont turn off again.

yesterday i heard buzzing noise coming from the radio unit of from underneath it, when i turn the engin on but it would go away after few minutes. And yesterday i noticed DRL light was on while the buzzing noise was coming from the dashboard but DRL light went off after a minute or so.

Any idea would be very much appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 07-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CD player/Radio turn on and stuck

Wild guesses: It's time for a radio repair or replacement, and the DRL control unit has bad solder joints on the circuit board.

HTH
Old 07-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lezawang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Wild guesses: It's time for a radio repair or replacement, and the DRL control unit has bad solder joints on the circuit board.

HTH
Thanks for your reply. Not sure about the second question (about DRL). About the first question, I remembered Honda dealer called me and told me there is a recall to fix something related to CD player. I am not sure really what they have done and if that recall was CD player related to be honest.
Old 07-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lezawang
Not sure about the second question (about DRL).
When people report buzz noise related to the DRL (controller is in the dash in the glovebox area), the cause usually seems to be internal to the DRL control unit. Specifically, it can usually be resolved by resoldering individual components to the circuit board.

I'm in the US and we didn't have Daytime Running Lights in cars that old, I have only read about this DIY fix.
About the first question, I remembered Honda dealer called me and told me there is a recall to fix something related to CD player. I am not sure really what they have done and if that recall was CD player related to be honest.
Then you need to see your dealer about it.

I found mention of a "product update" (not technically a recall) for the radio in the US, it only applied to certain 2001 EX sedan VINs.

HTH