Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

unique idle/ performance issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darlea is an unknown quantity at this point
unique idle/ performance issue

ok so i have a 91 crx hf with a d16z6 swap its a po6 chipped and tuned to run the engine i will come outside in the morning and start the car idles a little high because its cold but comes down and the car is running at its best..... after about 10 minutes of driving ill come to a redlight and the idle surges 1000 to 1800 car still runs great tho extremely responsive well then the c.e.l comes on at the next light and the idle is dead on 1000 no surges at all but performance is very sluggish hesitant i checked the code and its saying main oxygen sensor i dont get how that could effect it so much any ideas if thats the actual problem or just a fluke....
Old 12-12-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: unique idle/ performance issue

Oxygen sensors can control or contribute to many different engine functions, including fuel/air mixture, engine timing and engine combustion intervals. A faulty oxygen sensor can disrupt any of these things and cause a rough engine idle.

Old 12-12-2011

Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

There are a few tests you can run but the sensor is not that expensive..might just be easier to replace it... Have you had this problem since the swap or is it new...
Old 12-12-2011
Registered!!

i bought the car pre swapped it had a broken tps sensor and i replaced that then it started throwing the oxygen sensor code the thing that gets me mixed up is the fact the idle goes away when the light is on and runs like crap
Old 12-12-2011
Registered!!

and when i say surge it does it like a bad iac it will run up to like 1800 and drop to 1000 but i know the iac isent the problem
Old 12-13-2011

You could always pull the sensor and put it in a vice, hook a meter up to it and use a torch to heat up the sensor and see if it opens and closes when it is supposed to but like i said you can just pick one up and replace it..
Old 12-13-2011
Registered!!

thats probably what i am gona end up doing and hopefully thats it cus once the bs little **** is done its getting a turbo for some real fun i just wana take care of the little crap first
Old 12-14-2011

Let us know how it goes..hope it fixes the issue