Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car shakes when engaging clutch in first

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough
Car shakes when engaging clutch in first

I've got an 01 EX w/ 71k mi, and when I engage 1st from a start, it begins to shake the whole car if I don't apply more gas. I know this sounds like me shifting poorly, and that I'm just not giving it enough gas, but I've been driving this car for 2 years and have not had a problem like this. At first I suspected clutch slip, but I've read that slipping usually occurs in higher gears first. Any ideas?

I really don't think it applies, but it started happening the same week my Ksports went on.

Thanks,
Baker
Old 07-06-2007
Registered!!

rick1574 will become famous soon enough
Re: Car shakes when engaging clutch in first

i had the same problem in my 04 after 33k miles. it lasted for about a week and the day i drove it to the dealership to get checked out, its stopped.

hasn't come back since and i still don't know what caused it. how long has it been doing that?
Old 07-06-2007
Registered!!

Medic_06 is on a distinguished road

I have this problem too. I think it is something to do with heat warp or something. like really smooth slippery spots on the flywheel. Only happens when starting off in first, and not letting the clutch out really quickly like normal.
But its late, I'm tired, and I could be a stupefied complete idiot on the subject.
Old 07-11-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Check your rubber motor mounts for cracks.
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point

Same thing happens to me on some occasions, but only in the 1st gear like most of you have said. I really don't know why but she doesn't do that very often for me to be annoyed. She has 71,XXX miles by the way.

Last edited by Honda_Inspired; 07-14-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2007
Registered!!

jonathan_20 is an unknown quantity at this point

clutch bearings?? the car make it in 2nd 3th etc??? if yes, the clutch bearing is dead, rpm does down?? My friends have same problem but he's car goes off when he push the clutch because the bearings are death

Last edited by jonathan_20; 07-14-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Resurrecting an old thread...Anyone else been having this problem? Anyone know what causes it? My car has done this for the 5rd or so day <-- not in a row though.
Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LemmieHill is a jewel in the roughLemmieHill is a jewel in the roughLemmieHill is a jewel in the rough

My car is doing something similar. My two best guesses are 1: motor mounts 2: clutch chatter. Clutch chatter can be caused by a hard spots on the flywheel creating slick spots, worn friction disc, improper clutch pedal adjustment, warpage. Id like to figure it out for sure. I also hear like a single clunk noise when I slightly accel in first. Im thinking its the motor mounts.
Old 09-29-2009
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

I've experienced this several times, and each time, it turned out that I needed to inflate my tires to proper pressure. Believe it or not, that fixed it for me each time. Specifically, check the pressure on your drive wheels (mine is usually the right tire that gets low).
Old 09-29-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

the only time this has happened to me is when pulling of my parking spot on the side of the road at school... first goes in good, then I go into second and it feels like the car is bouncing or something.

It has only happened like three times and it has only happened when pulling out from the side of the road.
Old 09-30-2009
Registered!!

batman900 will become famous soon enough

Heres a bump because mine does it to. 03 EX with 60k miles. Its been doing it for about a year now. For the most part it goes away after warming up, but on a cold morning its almost embaresing to pull out of the driveway, thud thud thud thud brooooooom and away i go.
Old 10-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johnnyboy5000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by batman900
Heres a bump because mine does it to. 03 EX with 60k miles. Its been doing it for about a year now. For the most part it goes away after warming up, but on a cold morning its almost embaresing to pull out of the driveway, thud thud thud thud brooooooom and away i go.

My 02 DX has been doing this for 3 years and the last 70,000 miles or so. I'm at 167,000 now. It seems it only happens when the car is cold. Letting the car warm up for like five minutes in the morning fixes the problem. Then it doesn't really happen for the rest of the day.
Old 10-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe the fluid is just too cold to flow properly
Old 12-11-2009
Registered!!

elmo_2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Car shakes when engaging clutch in first

I have an '06 Civic, and I have noticed this first thing yesterday after 3 years of ownership. From a complete stop, when engaging first gear, the car vibrates just before the clutch is released. This has never happened before.
All other gears are fine. Not sure if I should have the dealership investigate as the civic has close to 97000KM's.

My 96 Accord did this as well, but noticed it occured during the cold weather and typically every morning. However it was intermittent and I cannot recall having this issue with the Accord presently.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2010
jar
Registered!!

jar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Accord 99 and a similar problem. I changed all the mounts first and the shaking got significantly weaker but it is still there and only when starting from the first gear. It is stronger when for example starting up the heal. It feels like the engine wants to escape from the car. The clutch was replaced by the previous owner not long time ago. Any ideas anybody?
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

izotop is an unknown quantity at this point

I experience the same, but I don't know if we could call it a problem. Normally, it occurs when the car is cold in the morning, after it's sat down for the night. After a few minutes of driving, it fades away. It may be due to a combination of external factors: moisture, cold weather.. My parents' Toyota Matrix used to do that as well. I cannot quite remember, but I think my previous car (Saturn LS1) did that too..

I'm a newb in mechanics, but it might be time for flywheel resurfacing?

If somebody has got a hint, I'd be pleased to hear it!
Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

plasmaok is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i would like to reserect this thread as well new to the forums to i got a 04 civic dx 5speed sedan its doing the same thing only does it when leaving an entersection in frist and some times when shifting to second would really like to know if anybody has figured this out it drives me nuts
started doing it today
Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Something cheap and easy to try is change the clutch fluid, just like bleeding brakes only easier because the pedal doesn't come up on its own. This helped the chatter (or shaking) in my '05 a great deal.
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyboy5000
My 02 DX has been doing this for 3 years and the last 70,000 miles or so. I'm at 167,000 now. It seems it only happens when the car is cold. Letting the car warm up for like five minutes in the morning fixes the problem. Then it doesn't really happen for the rest of the day.
yep guys, got a 2004 Civic EX 4 door, coming up on 60k, and it does the same thing. Only in the morning for about 5 minutes of driving, after that it goes away. I doubt it has something to do with the fluid as I have changed it multiple times to no avail. I've even redone the hydraulic system for the clutch pedal (the slave and the clutch master), again to no avail. Its been going on for almost a year now and doesn't seem to be getting any worse although the clutch pedal itself is still high and it bites a little strange. I've asked this question on here before and many have repeated what some of you have been saying, that the flywheel is probably "glazed" or warped. This is probably the case, and for me, its prob. also a clutch on the way out.
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope it's not the clutch...my 05 LX does this and I had a clutch put in about 5-6 months ago.

I'm leaning towards motor mounts. Have any of you modded your headers/exhaust? I had some problems with my exhaust sounding loose a few weeks ago, and they found that it needed to be tightened up. Extremely smooth from there and I stopped fearing speed bumps while dropped on S-Techs. It came back a few days ago, and I'm just waiting for a day off so I can go check out all the nuts and bolts again.
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

PaulforPOTUS is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a similar problem recently with my 96 civic dx. turns out it was a busted engine mount and some nasty clutch fluid
Old 03-01-2012
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulforPOTUS
i had a similar problem recently with my 96 civic dx. turns out it was a busted engine mount and some nasty clutch fluid
Not too sure about the motor mounts. I just replaced the front mount (my the radiator), but there could be more that are busted. I'm thinking its possible a trans mount on my car may be going since when I reverse the car sometimes under load there is a knocking noise coming from under the hood. It's only when I reverse or am downshifting from a really fast speed into a lower gear (when the revs jumps to over 3500-4000 or so).