Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

check engine: bypass control solenoid valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluecoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
check engine: bypass control solenoid valve

this is just to put a record in the vehicle issues/problems forum.

my car is at 10800 miles now and this morning the check engine light came on (this is not the maint req'd light). so i took the car to honda this afternoon and it was diagnosed as a faulty bypass control solenoid valve (part of the emissions system). the problem is that the valve is supposed to close instantaneously and it is taking 2.3 seconds to close. apparently this problem has been common with the 2001 civics (possibly 2002, don't know).
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

FiresVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
that sounds a little serious, thanks for the info. i didnt know it was a common problem. i just ran over 11k miles so ill let you know if something similar happens

fire
Old 01-24-2002
bmy
Registered!!

bmy is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to ask a stupid question. but what harm will that do?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

kaien42 is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
My check eng light 1st came on at 12k, I made an appointment and on the way there it shut itsself off. It came on again at 15k. I brought it in, they never even informed me as to what the problem was but they didn't order any parts so I fear all they did was turn off that light. So within a 100 miles the damn light was back on again. I bring it in and they figure its a faulty gas cap which I know is BS because I can feel a vacuum every time I open the cap. Anyways 2 weeks later the cap is in, and of course within 20 miles the light is back on. So now they think its the gas. I've been using the cheapest gas around and they think it may be screwing up the sensors. Does anyone know if its possible? So he told me to try using another gas for a couple of tanks and then bring it back. In the meantime I've put on about 3000 miles without closure to the problem. My main concern is if the problem is actually serious what damage am I causing by not actually having it fixed?
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Redsands is an unknown quantity at this point
When they hook up the diagnostic computer to your car it should be telling them the exact code as to what the problem is. There shouldn't be any guess work. When my check engine light came on they new exactly what the problem was and ordered the part. It's also the solinoid valve, crappy thing is I've been waiting a month for it, it's back ordered from Japan.