Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

30,000 miles major maintenance due soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eckocivic is an unknown quantity at this point
30,000 miles major maintenance due soon

i recently called around and checked out prices what is done to ur car at 30,000 mile tune up i called the honda dealership just to check a price it cost 300 bucks and i also checked out firestone they said they can do it for just 115 dollars? Should i go to firestone??? or go to one of those independent honda services.
Old 06-27-2003
Mr. Negative
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
Dont waste your money. Its a lot of "check and inspect" stuff. Stuff you can do yourself.
Old 06-28-2003
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
Exactly, basically you do this:

-oil change
-top off all fluids
-tranny fluid change
-replace air filter of stock intake
-replace interior air filters

Last edited by ak; 06-28-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2003
I Am The Funky Monkey!!!

BausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the roughBausHaug is a jewel in the rough
Interior air filters?
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
He means the AC micron pollen filter located inside your glove compartment... if you have an LX or EX.
Old 06-29-2003
Mr. Negative

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by ak
-tranny fluid change
Really. This I didnt know. Maybe I should read my manual a little closer. I probably should have my dealer do that since I just turned to 30,000 and am going in for service in a couple days.
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveyD
Really. This I didnt know. Maybe I should read my manual a little closer. I probably should have my dealer do that since I just turned to 30,000 and am going in for service in a couple days. [/QUTE]

Actually, our manuals indicate 3 years or 60,000 miles for tranny fluid, for severe conditions.
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
The ONLY reason I would even consider having this done byt someone else is for resale purposes. It will look much better that you followed all the recomended services and had it done at the dealership. Personally i would have it done by firestone. That way you stil have your "professional" reciept without paying the $300. Of course this is just my opinion. And is what "I" would do..that certainly doesn't make it right.
Old 06-30-2003
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Tranny fluid? Is that only for auto or does that include 5 speed?
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
I just had my 30K mile service done at the dealer last week. They charged me $78.15 for the whole thing. that's $59.40 for the 30K service, $5 for a new oil filter, $7 for 4 bottles of oil (Castrol GTX 5W-30) and $6.75 for 3 bottles of ATF-Z1 transmission fluid.

I HIGHLY reccomend getting this service done, because as soon as I pulled out of the dealership, I noticed the car had a LOT more power. I don't know why - apparently that's what happens when you change the tranny fluid. But It felt like I had 50 more horses under the hood .. no joke. It was beautiful. Before I was noticing the car was dragging and took a while to get up to high speeds on the interstate. Now I can just fly right up there, and bounce from 80 - 90 and back again no problem.

If you want directions on how to change your transmission fluid $/or filter yourself, lemme know. I can scan my service manual and post it for ya. Usually I change my oil myself, and I was ready to do the tranny fluid myself as well, but I couldn't find the right tool to get the drain bolt off and figured it'd be a good idea for them to inspect the car, as well as have it on paper that the service was done.

I don't understand why everyone else is getting a price of $300+ though. I mean, I don't have sales tax, but that's hardly the difference between $80 & $300 ...

Edit: Yes, you need to change your tranny fluid for 5-speed as well as auto. It's a good idea, and will improve your shifting, as well as throttle response.

Last edited by BlueFlame; 06-30-2003 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

blueflame: which service manual are you talking about? You mean something like Chilton's?

I didn't know they had those books available for our cars at this time.

And ya, could you scan those pages and post em, please.
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

orso is an unknown quantity at this point
yup its a waste of money. learned that one the hard way. just do your normal checks and replace the a\c filters and check your tranny fluid. shouldn't have to change it though. more like 60,000.
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Ronin
blueflame: which service manual are you talking about? You mean something like Chilton's?
No, I mean the actual Honda service manual. After I scheduled my appointment for the 30K service, I asked to look at the service manual for something, and noticed there was a sticker that said to discard the book when a new one arrived. I told him that if they planned on throwing it away I'd take it off their hands and even buy it from him. He said he'd keep that in mind. So I get like 5 blocks down the road when he calls me back on my cell phone and saiys he has one for me. I turned around and went back, and he gave it to me. No charge. Free. I couldn't have been much more excited. Now I have a detailed description of how to do everything, including taking the engine apart - bolt for bolt - and putting it back together. Not that I plan to do that anytime soon, but the point is ... I could.

But yeah, I'll scan them in later tonight after dinner for ya to look at
Old 07-04-2003
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
I was thinking of bringing to the dealer for the scheduled service before the warranty expires, just in case anything needs to be fixed and is covered under the warranty.
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

MMILX is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, so your dealer used 5W30 on the car? I know the manual recommends 5W20 for the Civic. I guess I better check with my dealer and see if they use the correct oil or not. The previous owner used 5W30 Mobil1 and when I had my oil changed to 5W20, I noticed an immediate mileage gain.

However, the shop that changed my oil didn't stock 5W20 in their tank, so they charged me extra for having to use bottles. They also won't use your own oil if you bring it in. So, I figured the dealer would be a better place to go since they would have the correct oil for the car and not charge extra for it.

Originally posted by BlueFlame
I just had my 30K mile service done at the dealer last week. They charged me $78.15 for the whole thing. that's $59.40 for the 30K service, $5 for a new oil filter, $7 for 4 bottles of oil (Castrol GTX 5W-30) and $6.75 for 3 bottles of ATF-Z1 transmission fluid.
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
The only reason why Honda recommends 5w-20 oil is to meet industry emissions regulations. I actually feel that 20-weight oil is too thin, and would only use 30-weight oil in my engine. 5w-30 is perfectly fine for the D17, and so is 10w-30 if you live in a warm climate and don't need the added cold-start capability.